Feature - Implemented CLI spammed with messages: "You are currently a member of ..."

Atheist Nutter

To repro:
- In the relay browser, go to the clan hall
- Click on the VIP Lounge
- Look in the CLI
- There is a message: "You are currently a member of X" where X is your current clan.

This can be hit in other ways too, e.g. the "pool" CLI command. The log is printed at ClanLoungeRequest.java:737 and was introduced in r12306.

Bale

Minion
This is a feature, not a bug. It is a response to the fact that your VIP furniture can change based on current clan so mafia needs to know if they change. Especially, mafia needs to check for current hot dogs if you change clans.

I'm marking this as "not a bug," but you are welcome to disagree and if your argument is persuasive, then that might change.

Atheist Nutter

The fact that mafia is parsing things on pages doesn't mean that I as a user care about them. Perhaps it's not that I don't care about what clan I'm in, just that I already know it. Either way, I don't see that it needs to be in the CLI output. You get multiple copies of the output by doing irrelevant things in the relay browser (navigating to the hot dog stand in the relay browser gets you two messages and you haven't actually, y'know, /done/ anything). Also, if you think that the user cares about this then why isn't it in the session logs too?

My complaints probably go away if you only print the message if it's different from the last time that code was hit (or the first time this session).

Bale

Minion
That's a valid concern. I agree it is only worth notice if the clan was changed. Otherwise it contains too much noise that can drown out worthwhile data through its repetition, which is actually the original definition of internet spam.

I'm going to reclassify this as a "Feature Request" since it really works fine. This is actually a suggestion for how mafia can work even better.

My complaints probably go away if you only print the message if it's different from the last time that code was hit (or the first time this session).

This would be my preferred behavior. Something like...

Formerly a member of Hardcore Nation. You are now a member of Crimbo Grotto

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I concur with the proposed FR. Only print the clan name on login or the first visit of the day and when KoLmafia detects that the clan has changed.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
12317 and 12318. I liked the idea of printing "Formerly a member of ..." but mafia has no way of knowing what clan you were formerly in without saving that value for no purpose other than printing it here, so it's just the current message only printed when you switch clans.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Suggestion: when reporting (intentional) CLI output, don't refer to it as "spam". I find it "annoying", so to speak, for my work to be described like that - and it makes me automatically not bother to read the note. Fortunately, other devs were willing to read it.

Thank you.

Atheist Nutter

Suggestion: when reporting (intentional) CLI output, don't refer to it as "spam". I find it "annoying", so to speak, for my work to be described like that - and it makes me automatically not bother to read the note. Fortunately, other devs were willing to read it.

I thought this was unintentional. I'll be more "careful" in the future.

12317 and 12318. I liked the idea of printing "Formerly a member of ..." but mafia has no way of knowing what clan you were formerly in without saving that value for no purpose other than printing it here, so it's just the current message only printed when you switch clans.

Looks good. Thanks.