Choices when opening the hidden temple

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I am reporting this here since I there are several scripts involved and I do not wish to point fingers, especially in the wrong place.

The script was supposed to automate the hidden temple opening. After it failed twice I opened the relay browser and did so manually. I attacked the critters as they appeared until I got stone wool. I used it. I got to the Heart of The Temple choice. There was an arrow in the relay browser pointing to the first choice which was Muscle Stats. The second choice was the open temple choice. I then looked at the Choice Adventure panel in KoLmmafia and Hidden Temple 2 appeared to be set to take the two choices that would lead to opening the temple. I ignored KoLmafia's relay arrow and opened the temple manually.

My knee jerk reaction would be to question KoLmafia's handling of this particular choice, but since I don't know what script actually set the choice for me, it is possible that something I did, or a script did on my behalf, got the relay browser out of synch. I also don't recall too much chatter about this which suggests that other people can script their way through the Temple Opening and further points any fingers straight back at me.

Comments, observations? I will certainly look at the relevant KoLmafia code when I get a few cycles but that time is not now.

Darzil

Developer
What are your choice options for adventure 584 set to, as it doesn't look to me like Mafia does anything special on this one.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Right now choiceAdventure584=4 which has corresponding text of Hidden Temple (Pikachutlotal) Hidden City unlock. My memory is that there were only three choices displayed in the relay browser but looking at the dropdown in the Choice Advs panel, I am 99.44% sure that neither the (Sun) - Calendar Fragment or (Gargoyle) - MP choices were in the relay browser for me.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You know, I honestly have no idea what you are complaining about.

Caveat: I do not automate. I do play all my turns in the Relay Browser.

I went through the Hidden Temple today. I noticed that every single choice had exactly the correct "spoilers" beneath it. I didn't see any arrows pointing to defaults - which are what the "auto" button would have taken me, had I pressed it - since, as I said, I do not automate, and, as far as I know, there is no reason that any of the choice options should have been set to anything other than "0" - Manual Control.

So, are you complaining that KoLmafia is putting the arrow on choices that your choiceOption settings do not point to? Or that KoLmafia is not changing the settings to what you think they should be (in your mind) as opposed to what they actually are set to (in the settings file)? Or that your script is changing the settings to something that you (in your mind) do not want them to be set to?

Please be very precise about exactly describing the "incorrect" behavior you are seeing, since I am unable to understand your bug report as written.

Thanks.

KoLMafia doesn't seem to have all the choice adventures listed for the hidden temple at the moment. I believe there is only 4 out of the 5. Those 4 shown in KoLMafia are "Hidden Temple 1, Hidden Temple 2, Hidden Temple Depths, Hidden Temple Heights." Hidden Temple 1: corresponds with the "Fitting In" non-combat and Hidden Temple 2 corresponds to the "Unconfusing Buttons" non combat. The other two are self explanatory.

"The Hidden Heart of the Hidden Temple" non-combat is not shown in the choice adventures tab. "The Hidden Heart of the Hidden Temple" has the choices: "Go through the door", "Go down the stairs", and "Go back the way you came". These give muscle sub stats, Hidden Heart adventure (which leads to the Buttons), and moxie substats + poison. These are correctly identified in the relay browser but the whole non-combat does not show up in the KoLMafia Choice Advs.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I could hardly care less about whether the choices are shown in Choice Adventures tab, since the spoilers are shown perfectly in the Relay Browser.

Somebody who gives a damn should look at the "automated" options.
That person is not me.

Since fronobulax is a developer, and it is he who wrote this note, he is the obvious choice for the "somebody who gives a damn" who will investigate this further.

Darzil

Developer
"The Hidden Heart of the Hidden Temple" non-combat is not shown in the choice adventures tab. "The Hidden Heart of the Hidden Temple" has the choices: "Go through the door", "Go down the stairs", and "Go back the way you came". These give muscle sub stats, Hidden Heart adventure (which leads to the Buttons), and moxie substats + poison. These are correctly identified in the relay browser but the whole non-combat does not show up in the KoLMafia Choice Advs.

That is because there are 3 or 4 non-combats with the same name/number, it's why the spoilers were only recently added for that one, but it doesn't lend itself to easy setting.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I'm, as usual, confused.

I have relay spoilers enabled. According to the KoLmafia GUI, I have an adventure choice set, in this case, to open the Temple. I adventure manually and when I encounter that adventure in the relay browser, the relay browser shows an arrow for a different choice, Muscle stats.

I was under the impression that the arrow in the relay browser was supposed to indicate the choice KoLmafia would select. That was not the case. I am not sure whether my expectation is incorrect, something currently unknown caused KoLmafia's GUI and the Relay Browser to be out of synch or whether KoLmafia is not handling something associated with that choice correctly. Hence the question and not a Bug Report.

I discovered this because running automated adventures failed to open the temple, even though as far as I could tell the script was setting the choice as I expected. To the best of my ability to reconstruct, the automated runs took the Muscle choice and not the open temple choice.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I don't know if any code refactoring changed this, but I remember there was a time when using the CLI or a script to update a choiceAdventure setting didn't update what was displayed in the GUI.

Bale

Minion
I was under the impression that the arrow in the relay browser was supposed to indicate the choice KoLmafia would select. That was not the case. I am not sure whether my expectation is incorrect, something currently unknown caused KoLmafia's GUI and the Relay Browser to be out of synch or whether KoLmafia is not handling something associated with that choice correctly. Hence the question and not a Bug Report.

I discovered this because running automated adventures failed to open the temple, even though as far as I could tell the script was setting the choice as I expected. To the best of my ability to reconstruct, the automated runs took the Muscle choice and not the open temple choice.

I believe that the source of this confusion is the nature of choiceAdventure580. The relay browser handles the choice spoilers perfectly, but there is a little bit more to the story.

The first time you enter choiceAdventure580 you want to select the second option, "Go down the stairs." This brings you to "Unconfusing Buttons" if you're doing everything correctly, but after you select "The one with the cute little lightning-tailed guy on it" you go back to choiceAdventure580 and this time you have a different first option which is "Go through the door (3 Adventures)" and you want to select it. This is what causes confusion for automation.

On the wiki you will find choiceAdventure580 as two different pages! It is here and here.

I don't know if any code refactoring changed this, but I remember there was a time when using the CLI or a script to update a choiceAdventure setting didn't update what was displayed in the GUI.

There was a time. I don't remember when the feature was added, but it's been at least a year now I think. I like the feature, so please don't revert it.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Bale is correct.

choice 580 lets go through the door with the symbol - and there are 4 different symbols available or go down the stairs to change the symbol, at which point you are presented with choice 580 again.

The first time through, the symbol is NOT the one that opens the hidden city, so you have to go down stairs and change it to that before going through it.

So, the first time at choice 580, you want choice 2, which lets you change the symbol.
The second time at choice 580, you want choice 1, which lets you unlock the Hidden City.

The spoilers are perfect. Automation requires changing the desired choice after the first time through.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Got it. Script issue. Thank you.

Is there an easy mechanic for detecting whether 580 has been encountered once?

Winterbay

I guess if you have the nostril of the serpent you have done that. But I'm not sure if that's a sufficient check.

Theraze

In terms of the changing? That's part of the same adventure... it doesn't cost an adventure to change the symbol. Possible this is the same 'feature' that makes you hit an infinite loop if you automate in the basement of the castle and pick one the of 'skip adventure / re-occurs' choices.

Bale

Minion
I really don't think that those air quotes around feature are appropriate. If there's a bug or a need for a new feature to counter a problem, post an appropriate thread. (Is there already a thread for that?) Saying 'feature' just makes you sound mean and sarcastic.

There are several places where mafia has special handling for troubling choice adventures. If you think there should be another, that is not a 'feature,' it is a lack of a feature.

Theraze

Eh, it's a bug, but it's not one that has been properly reported in a useful way with debug log. That means that the people who see it irregularly, like me, must want it there as a feature. Or we keep forgetting when we're around the unlocking-the-castle point (or whichever other one we accidentally ended up looping in) and don't track it. Hence 'feature' rather than bug. A bug has a report with enough information for the problem to be fixed. A 'feature' is something that doesn't get properly reported.

I list it as a 'feature' because it's a player-faulted (including me) bug that needs good information behind it rather than a vague bug report. Probably just a FReq that, if you pick any leave without costing a turn and immediately repeat' adventure, consider it to be the end of automation and, at very least, run the after-adventure and before-battle scripts. That's why BBB doesn't auto-equip the amulet, which is where it's been mentioned a few times but never with an associated bug report.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
A 'feature' is something that doesn't get properly reported.

For the record, that's not the way I use "feature" around here and I think my usage is more common here. Simplistically, if KoLmafia is not doing what was intended or what the developer expected then that is a "bug". If it is not doing what the user wants or if the user wants it to do something it never did before or if a user wants it to do something different then that is a "feature". Marketing weasels call "bugs" "features" so they don't have fix them :)

I suspect there is a feature request somewhere behind this but we have not quite articulated it.

Theraze

I simply called it that because I've been chastised repeatedly by Veracity for mentioning bugs that don't have an associated bug report with good write-up. :) Since a well written bug report doesn't exist, that means it can't be one of those... it's not new content, which leaves only 'feature' remaining. :D

The eventual FReq would be not looping on specific adventures (complete with choiceadv numbers and specific choices that make it loop) as they're noticed. Would probably be fine to just offer them in a more basic way, but...

Bale

Minion
Veracity chastises you because she's hoping that you'll write up an actual bug report. Her wit is so dry I sometimes have trouble being certain that she is not serious, but I sincerely doubt she dislikes the report as much as its informality. Please don't refer to a lack of feature as a "feature" though. That honestly sounds insulting even though I know you don't mean it that way. It's a bug.

Any behavior which is contrary to the creator's intent is a bug. Obviously the creator's of KoLmafia intend for choice adventures to be capable of reaching an intended goal. That is why there is special handling for some of them, like the Louvre or more recently, Halls Passing in the Night.

Fluxxdog

I apologize if this sounds uninformed, but I'm not aware of any way to run a script during choice automation. Did that get added in somewhere?