Bug - Not A Bug Chat window text and the MS Surface Pro 3

pithlit

Running v14842, I can confirm the font settings under Chat Options do increase and decrease the font size in the chat window. Oddly, you have to clear the chat pane before the new setting will work. Medium is the "original" size of the font in the chat window on my desktop machine

I can also confirm Bale's findings. The font setting in Chat Options does affect the gCLI, but there the change is visible instantly as you change the preference. Medium is the "original" size in the gCLI.

I am not seeing the preference affect popups like you get when you click a player name in the chat window.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
This issue reported by the OP was that the font size differed in the RequestPane from elsewhere - for example, the text input field.
My assumption is that would be the case for ANY RequestPane - which include, especially, the gCLI - since there is no code anywhere to set the font size away from whatever Java decides to use.
When I googled, the fix seemed to have two parts:

- set an explicit font - so, now we are using KoLConstants.DEFAULT_FONT, which is whatever Java decides to assign to a brand new JTextField - like the text input fields we use on the chat GUI and the gCLI.
- tell the pane to use the font we have specified unless the HTML being displayed chooses something else.

Hard to understand why that last one wouldn't be normal operation. But, near as I can tell, when I set it, some people - not including me - get "tiny" fonts and that is an "issue" for them.

Revision 14843 removes part two of the fix. All we do right now is tell every RequestPane to use our "default" font, which is specifically the font which is used for input fields. It appears to be extremely system dependent what Java will choose to do.

I have no way of knowing what, if any, effect this will have for any of you.
I especially have no way of knowing if the OP will see a change in behavior. I.e., if it will fix his issue.

If it doesn't, I mark this either Cannot Reproduce or Won't Fix, since there doesn't seem to be anything I can do that will not cause complaints from out of the woodwork.

Last edited:

pithlit

OK when I revert to an older version and compare (v14761) I see what Ensiferum sees. The font size in the popup has changed to a smaller font.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Running v14842, I can confirm the font settings under Chat Options do increase and decrease the font size in the chat window. Oddly, you have to clear the chat pane before the new setting will work. Medium is the "original" size of the font in the chat window on my desktop machine.
According to this code:

Code:
		Preferences.globalNames.put( "chatFontSize", isUsingMac ? "medium" : "small" );
if you have a Mac, you get "medium" and if you don't, you get "small" - until you change the setting in Preferences/Chat Options. This applies to things which have a StyledChatBuffer - which happens to be the chat GUI, the gCLI, and the results panel of the Familiar Trainer.

I have no idea why people (not me) seemed to suddenly get "small" in the gCLI. Did those people have "small" set in preferences? Did they try changing the font size?

Did pithlit try changing font size from "small" to "medium on his tablet before I made the recent change? Did it have an effect?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yeah.

Did you try that before you made this report? In other words, if you had changed it from "small" to "medium" on your tablet, before I did anything, did it solve your problem?

pithlit

I did, but nothing changed. However now I realize I have to clear the chat window with /clear before the font change will occur, unlike with the gCLI. So I just loaded up my old version on my tablet, and did the same testing, only with clearing the chat window first, and the font change does in fact work.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'm going to delete the single line I changed and mark this Not a Bug, since the option you needed was already present.
Live and learn.