Bug - Fixed Character Pane intermittently doesn't display

Darzil

Developer
Had this a couple of times yesterday during first day of a SoftBor run, but stupidly didn't check the logs. I did check for a debug log (there was none), and shut down IE and restarted it (no change). It came back when a combat was fougth.

Just had it today, each time I did Louvre for muscle, and checked CLI to see :

Code:
[321] Haunted Gallery
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It

> choice-goal

Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Escher: Relativity)
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Munch: The Scream)
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Seurat: Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte)
You gain 321 Strongness
You gain some Muscle points!
Missing password hash
Path: "/KoLmafia/charpane.php"

[424] Hidden Temple
Encounter: Dvorak's Revenge

> dvorak

Examining tiles...
Tile puzzle completed.
Missing password hash

Edit - Happens on Dvorak's Revenge automation too.

Last edited:

Darzil

Developer
1) Which revision of Mafia?
2) Are you running any relay-override scripts?

Revision 10572

I have the odd one, like bhh.ash, shore.ash and pyramid.ash. None that I'd expect to be generating the issue. Can I safely just rename the relay folder to take it out of the equation?

holatuwol

Developer
You can safely rename it, yes. The path in your gCLI output is /KoLmafia/charpane.php, which hints at something with a bad base href. Do you use the gCLI integrated into the relay browser?

Darzil

Developer
Thanks.

Have renamed it, am out of turns today, but as I got it every time I went for Muscle stats on Louvre yesterday, it should be either repeatable or fixed tomorrow.

Darzil

Developer
Hmm, still getting the issue in 10578, after having started a new Mafia folder to which I copied only the settings directory from the old one. I don't have "Integrate chat and relay browser gCLI Interfaces" ticked in settings.

Something is clearly glitchy for me at present.

Exited Mafia, Deleted settings, started Mafia (10578) and accepted defaults, logged in to create character settings file, logged out, copied Louvre Layout and Louvre Goal only from old settings file, started Mafia again and logged in. Still have the same issue! That's me officially stumped.

Edit - I get this only when I click on "Go To Goal", either on the first choice adventure or after entering. I don't get this if I manually follow the recommended route through to Muscle.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The path in your gCLI output is /KoLmafia/charpane.php, which hints at something with a bad base href.
A while back, I made KoLmafia insert base tags into any page which had a link starting with "/KoLmafia" in it. With such a base tag, if you click on such a link, when the browser loads the result, all non-absolute links remain non-absolute, rather than being corrupted with "/KoLmafia". In other words, I attempted to deal with precisely the symptom the OP describes.

The base tags work perfectly for me. The charpane refreshes fine. Other links on the result page remain non-absolute, as always. I am completely unable to reproduce the OP's report.

What Browser are you running, Darzil?

Darzil

Developer
What Browser are you running, Darzil?

IE9, though if I still get the issue in this run I'll try using Firefox, should need to powerlevel today.

Didn't get a chance to do the testing I'd like to have done, which is running it again trying in Firefox. Refresh of character pane alone didn't restore it, refresh of the whole page did, and of course opening page in Firefox worked, as that was effectively a refresh. Will be powerlevelling to 12 tomorrow, so will try then.

Last edited:

Terion

I've also seen that problem pop up occasionally, where my charpane would get the microsoft Unable to Load Page error (I think, some error about the page not being available anyway) and the gCLI would have a note about a missing password hash. Doing anything that would update the charpane would restore it though, so I didn't worry much about it. I'll pay more attention and take note of where it happens. What's the best way to gather and report info to help you track this down, V?

I'm using 10578, and I know I saw it happen at least once in that version; I think it's only been fairly recent, but I can't really give a useful timeframe. Browser is IE8, no override relays.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Will be powerlevelling to 12 tomorrow, so will try then.
Do this, please:

Adventure until you see the Louvre choice adventure.
Enable "Log decorated responses in debug log"
Turn on Debug Log.
Do "Go to Goal" in Louvre
Turn off Debug Log

... and let's see it!

Terion

I just had it happen when I gave the items to Sven's band. Unfortunately, since I didn't expect it, I didn't have any logging going on.

CLI's output:
Talking to Sven Golly at the Hey Deze Arena

> sven Bognort=4675&Stinkface=4670&Flargwurm=4671&Jim=4674

Giving gin-soaked blotter paper to Bognort
Giving beer-scented teddy bear to Stinkface
Giving booze-soaked cherry to Flargwurm
Giving sponge cake to Jim
You acquire an item: Azazel's unicorn
Items given to bandmembers.
Missing password hash
Charpane lost.JPG
Using v15.1 r10610. IE 8. No overriding scripts.

Darzil

Developer
Two tests attached.

One is IE (which fails to display character pane), other is FF (which successfully displays character pane).

Attachments

• DEBUG_20120225_FF Test.txt
    91.7 KB · Views: 44
  • DEBUG_20120225_IE Test.txt
    49.1 KB · Views: 479

Terion

I can confirm it's fixed now. I just opened the Gallery, and proceeded to get the Louvre adventure a couple times. Running r10610, I got the charpane issue in the screenshot 3 posts up. I then closed Mafia, downloaded 10644, logged in with it, got another Louvre adventure, and had the charpane correctly update at the end.

Edit: Oops, spoke too soon. After posting, I went back to the window and clicked the Adventure Again link. Got the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message in the main frame, instead of the charpane. gCLI output:
[494] Haunted Gallery
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It

> choice-goal

Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Escher: Relativity)
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Munch: The Scream)
Encounter: Louvre It or Leave It (Hopper: Nighthawks)
You gain 263 Strongness
You gain some Muscle points!
Missing password hash
Path: "/KoLmafia/adventure.php?snarfblat=106"
I'll get a debug log as Veracity laid out, next time I get the choice.

Last edited:

Terion

And the debug log (for some reason I can't edit the last post and Go Advanced, so forgive the double post):

Attachments

• DEBUG_20120226 Terion.txt
    140.6 KB · Views: 54

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The double post is good. Otherwise people might have missed your edit and then there might have been no continuing effort to fix the bug.

Terion

Looks like it's good. Downloaded 10653 and tried it out.

I ran a debug log just in case, but I got the Louvre, picked Go To Goal (muscle), it gave it's little "I'm automating in the CLI" message, then showed my Muscle gain from heaving the haywain. I clicked on Adventure Again, and got into a fight with a farmer and his wife. Looks good to me.