Bug - Fixed Changing Choice Adventure Setting Freezes Mafia

Raven434

Occurs in various versions, 100% of the time. Last version it hung with was 8487.

Trying to manipulate choices for Poop Deck to make sure that I get a manual stop to use the Volcano Island map.

Screen shot attached. And Mafia freezes there in the selection box.

Application cannot be closed. Has to be terminated via Windows Task Manager.

Debug log enabled at the start. Unfortunately no data captured in the log, other than the header:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
KoLmafia r8487, Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_20
Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were
doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
Timestamp: Fri Jun 11 14:43:30 EDT 2010

This behavior started probably 2 months ago or more. I was about 50% of the time and I just chalked it up to random sun spots, misalignment of the planets, etc.

Attachments

• KoL Mafia Hang 2.JPG
    KoL Mafia Hang 2.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 83

DonnaMatrix

I have had this issue for a while now, as well. Unfortunately, I have no information to add but wanted to let it be known this is not an isolated incident.

adeyke

I recall this also happening to me. I had Bale's newLife.ash, which sets the oceanDestination on ascension. In order to get the chance to show the volcano map, I'd use the choice adventures GUI to set it to manual, and it would freeze.

Since then, I've just commented out that line in newLife.ash, and I'm now unable to reproduce the problem.

Chugsworth

Ocean Destination choice selection freeze

When attempting to change the default handling for the Ocean Destination via the Choice Advs tab, Kolmafia becomes entirely unresponsive. This has occurred both on my home PC and laptop.

Running build 8800.

r8923 - When selecting ocean choice adv causes KoLmafia to hang

I'm running KoLMafia build 8923 on a linux box and when I go to pick "manual choice" for the ocean adventure, I lose the ability to switch programs etc. Doing a "killall java" at a terminal restores my ability to do things, but of course gets rid of mafia. I've been able to repeat it.

What other info would be useful to track down the problem?

Here's my java version:
Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.2) (6b20-1.9.2-0ubuntu1~10.04.1)
OpenJDK Client VM (build 19.0-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

EDIT: After firing mafia back up, I see the choiceadv was changed to manual control on the ocean destination like I wanted, and did work. However it did lock up my box each time I tried to change it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Duplicate report. I merged it with the other one.

I've seen this reported now off and on for a while - even in the old bug report system - but have never been able to reproduce it.

Winterbay

For what it's worth: I had this happen some time ago as well (two ascencions or so). Could net get around it and had to resort to setting the choice adventure by set choiceadv (and some trial and error since I've no idea how the different numbers are picked).

BleedingFingers

This is a weird one... I'm using r9711 and on 2 different computers I've had this problem trying to change the ocean destination setting. Mafia completely freezes...

The setting was on Manual Control, when I try and change the setting to Ignore, the drop down stays open and mafia becomes unresponsive (I'm running the JAR file on Windows 7 as well as Windows XP).
THe only way around it is to edit the character settings file with a text editor and change oceanDestination=manual to oceanDestination=ignore.

The version of java I'm using:
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

Bale

Minion
This has happened to me as well. Many times, though not every time. Here is my description of the problem:

1. Open the choice adventure panel.
  2. Click on the drop down. It then displays all the options.
  3. I click on the option I want to change to.
    (This usually happens when I change it from a stat choice to manual control so that I can go to the Volcano. That's different from BleedingFingers choice, so I suspect the current setting is irrelevant.)
  4. KoLmafia freezes up without selecting the option on which I was clicking. The drop-down is still dropped down to display all the choices. The drop-down will not go away regardless of my clicking.
  5. KoLmafia will not respond so I have to kill the program with the task manager.
  6. Restart KoLmafia and change the choice adventure setting. It does not freeze up this time. It never freezes up the second time.

Because these steps don't always produce the problem I have not reported the bug until now. I hate unreliable bugs.

Winterbay

I've had this happen as well, not reliably enough to report in any way though. Unlike Bale I've had it happen several times in a row until I did like the OP and edited the setting in Notepad++ in and then stayed away from that menu entry.

Winterbay

I did not at the time, but I will try if I run into it again. Also, does "manual" and similar work on all choice adventures? Normally I thought that the option was a number corresponding to the choosen option with 0 being manual control.

Bale

Minion
I tried. I turned on the debug log and replicated the problem. (Switching from ocean trip from muscle to manual) Here's the debug log:

Code:
         KoLmafia v14.7 r9714, Windows XP, Java 1.6.0_26
 Please note: do not post this log in the KoLmafia thread. If you
 would like the dev team to look at it, please write a bug report
 at kolmafia.us. Include specific information about what you were 
 doing when you made this and include the log as an attachment.
 Timestamp: Wed Aug 17 16:44:20 EDT 2011

That's the whole thing. Okay, that didn't work well. KoLmafia died without leaving anything useful. If it helps, when I came back the setting was changed. That doesn't always happen.

Changing the value with the set command works just fine BTW.

Last edited:

kain

This has been happening for quite a while now for me, too. I don't know exactly how long (although tomorrow I'll dig into some chat logs and try to figure out when I brought it up in /clan chat) but I don't notice it anymore because I just change the settings via a script now.

Hard freeze changing Choice Adv

r9833

KoLmafia experiences a hard freeze when attempting to change the poop deck choice adventure from manual to ignore. 100% repeatable even with a fresh preference file. I have not tested other choice adventures to see if they also make mafia freeze up.