Bug - Fixed Cannot access the Barrel full of Barrels in relay/mini browser

Mr_Crac

When trying to go to the Barrel full of Barrels in either the relay browser or the mini browser, I get a blank page (screenshots):

BfoB1.pngBfoB2.pngBfoB3.png

CLI output copy-and-paste (tried five times):
[1509] Barrel full of Barrels

This was with KoLmafia version: v16.0 r12738
but it has happened with other versions to me as well. (e.g. 12589, 12611)

It seems that someone else has experienced this too, but apparently just sporadically (for me it just does not work, always):
http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showpost.php?p=4513204&postcount=3076

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That debug log shows a nice page of HTML when you click there. I don't understand how you can have a blank page. When you view the frame's source, what do you get?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I see this in your DEBUG log.

Code:
Connecting to barrel.php...

Requesting: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/barrel.php
2 request properties
Field: Cookie = [appserver=www9; PHPSESSID=pjsqsjt9qtdo663sg889l8adv5]
Field: User-Agent = [KoLmafia v16.0]

Retrieving server reply...

Retrieved: http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/barrel.php
10 header fields
Field: null = [HTTP/1.1 200 OK]
Field: Date = [Sat, 28 Sep 2013 12:53:09 GMT]
Field: Transfer-Encoding = [chunked]
Field: Expires = [Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT]
Field: Content-Type = [text/html; charset=UTF-8]
Field: Connection = [keep-alive]
Field: Server = [nginx/0.8.55]
Field: X-Powered-By = [PHP/5.3.3]
Field: Cache-Control = [no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0]
Field: Pragma = [no-cache]

Retrieving server reply
ResponseText has 11668 characters.

- I took the 11668 characters of the responseText and put it into a file.
- I logged into KoL, since I noticed that your file has images from images.kingdomofloathing.com in it
- I opened my local file.

And here is what I see:

Screen Shot 2013-09-28 at 10.05.45 AM.png

Obviously, we are getting the correct page back from KoL.

- Perhaps we are munging it into nothingness for some reason
- Perhaps your Browser is buggy

I'd like another DEBUG log, please. This time, turn on the following options:

Preferences/General/Extra Debugging:

Verbosely log communication between KoLmafia and the browser
Log decorated responses in debug log

Thanks.

Theraze

At work, I've recently had some users get issues with corrupted caches on specific pages... all of the content is there, but they can't see it. I suggest that Mr_Crac makes sure to clear his browser's cache completely and checks if the problem still exists.

Also, try it in a different browser. Just for fun, if clearing the cache fully doesn't fix it.

Mr_Crac

That debug log shows a nice page of HTML when you click there. I don't understand how you can have a blank page. When you view the frame's source, what do you get?

With Firefox 24.0, I did this in the center frame while using the relay browser:
Right-Click --> This Frame --> View Frame Source

And I got this:

Km_relay_barrel.png

I'd like another DEBUG log, please.

Sure thing. I think the action starts at line 1700:

View attachment DEBUG_20131004.txt

Near the very end of the file, it says:
Content-Length: 0

That does not seem to be right, I guess?

At work, I've recently had some users get issues with corrupted caches on specific pages... all of the content is there, but they can't see it. I suggest that Mr_Crac makes sure to clear his browser's cache completely and checks if the problem still exists.

Also, try it in a different browser. Just for fun, if clearing the cache fully doesn't fix it.

A corrupted cache would seem like a plausible explanation why this is happening to me, but not to another user. Unfortunately clearing the cache does not seem to help. I have even uninstalled Firefox completely (including settings, bookmarks, ...) and installed version 24.0 US-English from scratch. The problem still persists. And it also exists with Internet Explorer, tried it after I had uninstalled Firefox and before installing Firefox again. The above screenshot was made with the freshly-installed Firefox.

I know this is a strange error and you probably have more important things to do with your time. I would like to thank you all for being so helpful.

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, the barrel decorator has a blatant bug: if you have "relayShowSpoilers" turned off, it turns the barrels into a blank page, just as you describe, rather than leaving it untouched.

I'm not sure why you would turn off spoilers in the relay browser, but if you do, we shouldn't spoil your experience like that. :)

Try revision 12794