Bug - Fixed Can the zap command return a list of possible matches when it can't find a unique one

ereinion

I just had this happen in the gCLI:
Code:
[COLOR=olive]> inv zombie maria[/COLOR]

zombie mariachi pants (2)

[COLOR=olive]> zap zombie maria[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red][zombie maria] has no matches.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=olive]> zap zombie mariachi[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red][zombie mariachi] has no matches.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=olive]> zap zombie mariachi p[/COLOR]

Zapping zombie mariachi pants...
You acquire an item: zombie accordion
zombie mariachi pants has been transformed.
I assume the reason I get different results is because mafia could find an unique match in my inventory using the substring I provided, but not in the list of zappable items? However, the error message can be a bit confusing. For instance I'd say it wouldn't be too farfetched of me to assume that I didn't have any zombie mariachi pants in my inventory, if I hadn't checked how many of them I had before doing the zap request. So what I'd like to request is that the zap command returns a list of possible matches in those cases where it can't figure out the exact item you want to zap.

xKiv

I assume the reason I get different results is because mafia could find an unique match in my inventory using the substring I provided

"inv $BAZ" just lists everything in yout inventory that has $BAZ as a substring - doesn't do any fuzzy matching, or uniqueness testing. And it most definitely doesn't print any items you don't have, even if they have $BAZ as a substring in their name.

However, the error message can be a bit confusing.
I have also sometimes noticed that I would prefer something that would list possibilities (unless there's too many of them - now, what's "too many", 10?, 20?, 50?).
For any command that wants to uniquely fuzzy match an item (and possibly skill, location, element, slot, did I leave out anything important?).

roippi

Developer
ItemFinder.java could in general stand a bit of refactoring/reworking. I'm not a fan of a number of things in there, most notably the setMatchType method which just seems like a rather arcane way of doing things. Not to mention buggy in a multithreaded environment.

Also there are a ton of special-cased things which can just give totally unexpected results. For example, did you know

Code:
		// Candy hearts, snowcones and cupcakes take precedence over
		// all the other items in the game, IF exactly one such item
		// matches.

or

Code:
		// First, check to see if there are an HP/MP restores
		// in the list of matches.  If there are, only return
		// the restorative items (the others are irrelevant).

..and some others.

ItemFinder code is used in a lot of places at this point so there are liable to be many side-effects of a revamp, which is presumably why nobody has felt up to it. Might be time for me to take a swipe at it though.

roippi

Developer
Okay, so in general, the zap command does list ambiguous matches-

Code:
> zap red

extra-strength red potion
red paisley oyster egg
red pixel potion
red polka-dot oyster egg
red potion
red striped oyster egg

[red] has too many matches.

The issue here is this block in ItemFinder#filterNameList:

Code:
		if ( nameList.size() == 1 )
		{
			return;
		}

// Never match against (non-quest) untradeable items not available
		// in NPC stores when other items are possible.
		// This can be overridden by adding "matchable" as a secondary
		// use; this is needed for untradeables that do need to be
		// explicitly referred to, and have names similar to other items
		// (such as the NS Tower keys).

nameIterator = nameList.iterator();

while ( nameIterator.hasNext() )
		{
			itemName = nameIterator.next();
			itemId = ItemDatabase.getItemId( itemName );

conditionalRemove( nameIterator, itemId != -1 &&
				!ItemDatabase.getAttribute( itemId,
					ItemDatabase.ATTR_TRADEABLE | ItemDatabase.ATTR_MATCHABLE | ItemDatabase.ATTR_QUEST ) &&
				!NPCStoreDatabase.contains( itemName ) );
		}

Basically: this is the last thing that happens when filtering. It only does something if there are still multiple matches. The idea is to strip out the non-tradable things, leaving the tradable ones - usually a good idea. However in this case the list consists of only non-tradable things:

Code:
zombie mariachi hat
zombie mariachi pants

Both get removed before ever getting to the step where ambiguous matches get printed.

I have to think about which angle I want to attack this from. Adding the "matchable" attribute to the set in items.txt is one approach, but maybe that block's logic needs tweaking.

roippi

Developer
r12868 should fix the issue. It's possible that this has side-effects where someone was depending on this filtering behavior, but I doubt it.