Bug - Fixed Cage bait issue?

When I logged into a cage bait account, I found that it was impossible to chat with it because it was stuck in the cage when I logged in. Without opening up the relay browser, the last thing I see in the progress bar is that mafia is being redirected to a choice adventure after trying to visit charsheet.phb. When I open the relay browser and open chat the following starts looping in the CLI:

Code:
Visiting the Altar of Literacy
Manual control requested for choice #211
Click here to continue in the relay browser.

choice 1: Gnaw through the bars (10 Adventures) (gnaw through the bars)
choice 2: Wait for rescue

No amount of aborts would get it to stop trying to visit the altar. Everything was fine after I gnawed, and when I recaged I could chat just fine while in the cage. I logged out and tried everything again experimentally and it all happened exactly the same way. This didn't used to happen, I'm guessing it's an unintended consequence of another change. It's been a long time since I've fiddled with cage bait accounts, so sadly I can't estimate what build might have caused it, though I tested this on 10748. It's a marginal issue, all I had to do was use another account to ask if I cold pop out of the cage briefly, but I figured I'd bring it up in case it's an easy fix.

Bale

Minion
Must have been caused by...

r10746 | veracity0 | 2012-03-08 09:37:11 -0500 (Thu, 08 Mar 2012) | 3 lines

Do not do post-login actions (script, breakfast) if you log in to a fight or
choice. Defer those actions until said fight or choice is resolved.

You could try r10745 to see if you don't have a problem.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I assume this was caused by Revision 10315:

Code:
r10315 | veracity0 | 2012-01-26 14:29:45 -0500 (Thu, 26 Jan 2012) | 4 lines

Add AltarOfLiteracyRequest to track visits to the Altar.
Tell ChatManager whether the Ghost of the English Language considers the player
to be sufficiently literate.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Actually, no. I'm not going to bother digging up the series of submits that made it work this way, but the issue is this:

The ChatManager requires that you be literate before it will start up.
The Quest Log says whether you are literate, but if login is aborted because you are in a choice, we don't look at the quest log. (Can we?)
The ChatManager visits the altar to see if you are literate, if it didn't previously know from the quest log.
If you are stuck in a choice adventure, you can't visit the altar.

In summary, that has nothing to do with the revision Bale called out (which simply makes KoLmafia not run Breakfast and loginScript, if you are stuck at a choice). It also has nothing to do with the revision _I_ called out (which simply makes sure that when you DO visit the Altar of Literacy, the ChatManager knows about it.)

Pondering.

Fluxxdog

TEST: Send character into Spooky Forest until choice adventure comes up and try clicking "quests" in vanilla KoL
RESULT: Quest log loads without error and are able to switch between the various logs at will. Need to select someplace to go to reload screen with choice adventure

EDIT: Heh, 4 minutes was what it took to get that result and type up the result. Ninja'd by a millisecond :p

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I was about to suggest parsing chatlaunch.php, which either has a link to start chat or a link to the Altar of Literacy and can be loaded. However, all sections of the Quest Log are accessible mid-combat. I didn't specifically check whether that's the case during a choice adventure...

Skipping the check if you're in the middle of logging in should work too.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I skipped the check. That lets you log in to chat in the Relay Browser, just fine; it lets Chat Manager start up to look at chat messages.

Now, going into KoLmafia's chat Frame does not work well if you are in a choice. That wants to go to the Account menu to get your chat colors and, for some reason, KoL doesn't let you do; it redirects to choice.php. I tested with the Castle Wheel choice (may as well pick up a little Meat while waiting for the choice, rather than use the obvious Spooky Forest choice, Fluxxdog :p)) and when that redirect happened, we took it and KoLmafia took the choice as directed by my preferences. I wonder what would have happend with a Manual Control choice, like the Stuck in a Cage for the OP? Would Loathing Chat have started up without knowing the colors?

Fluxxdog

I tested with the Castle Wheel choice (may as well pick up a little Meat while waiting for the choice, rather than use the obvious Spooky Forest choice, Fluxxdog :p))
You try being Level 4 and going to the Giant's Castle. Double :p