bumcheekcity's Easy Snapshot Maker

Bale

Minion
bumcheekcity, several of the skill descriptions are wrong. Thanks to spading, we know that the values for several DB skills were buffed at some time.
  • Disco Eye-Poke
    3 Delevel
  • Disco Dance of Doom
    5 Delevel
  • Disco Dance II: Electric Boogaloo
    7 Delevel
  • Disco Face Stab
    9 Delevel
  • Tango of Terror
    8 Delevel
Please fix those.

adeyke

I love this script. I'm using the 2.1 beta (profile here). There are a few issues with the consumption data. This is just a report, not a complaint. And if the problem is on my end (e.g. interactions with other scripts, outdated data files), I'd be happy to hear how it can be fixed.
1. It includes some bogus entries (e.g. 2, KoL Coldfront, Forum).
2. It has problems with items with unusual characters (e.g. Oreille Divisée brandy), both in displaying the name and in recognizing that it's been consumed.
3. It includes booze that can't be consumed (e.g. booze with a fly in it).

The script also seems to be missing some of the newer crafting recipes (e.g. Humpty Dumplings, world's most unappetizing beverage).

I also have a question on etiquette. How often is it okay to run this script? I like having my page up to date, especially since it helps me see what I still need to do. However, I realize that running the script makes server hits and that all old snapshots remain on the site, so I don't want to overdo it.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I expect this script only sends a few KB to bcc's server in the form of a giant string, and that's probably all that has to be stored, so viewing your profile each time is probably a bigger hit than updating it (all speculation though). The real server hit is all of the KoL pages that have to be loaded to generate the info.

bumcheekcity

Thanks, Bale. I've updated the descriptions of the skills. And lost is right - I genuinely don't mind how often you update the script, it's a FAR smaller server hit than actually viewing the profile. Update it daily if you feel the need.

All the old snapshots remain on the site. I NEVER delete anything from the mySQL database, and the user the website is on can't do it anyway. One should always have a "deleted" entry in the table, and just have that set to 1 if a user wants to delete something. This way you minimize the risk of SQL Injection if one security flaw slips through, and you keep all your old data. I'm planning on having a chart of how many skills/tattoos/etc. people have gained over time, so you can track your progress, not just your current position, and I couldnt' do that if I overwrote or deleted old data.

At time of writing, the Snapshot table is 25.3 MB according to phpMyAdmin, with 11,820 rows, and the (whole) website used 1GB Data transfer last month - that's out of 2GB allocated space, and 40GB bandwidth. No need to worry about an extra line or two in the database.

That said, the KoL server hit from one snapshot use is tiny, fewer than 20 pages. You use more server hits trying to make your days' drinks in the vanilla interface.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Hmm. I think I figured out why the perma-link thingy has been screwy. Line 614 should be
PHP:
print(visit_url("http://bumcheekcity.com/kol/profileafter.php?u="+my_name()+"&version=2.0&result=dontknow"));
(missing & after my_name().)

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Apparently not (since that's the version I'm using). New download confirms this.

Also, I totally missed the problem -- it's line 597, which is probably missing the name parameter. Should be:
PHP:
print(visit_url("http://bumcheekcity.com/kol/profileafter.php?u="+my_name()+"&version=2.0&result=success"));

palpitations

Hey, just something I noticed... I've got a couple telescope parts - but if I run the script while in BM my profile shows that I don't have a scope at all. How about recognizing if you're in BM, and not updating the scope if you're not able to use it? I have to imagine that won't come up often, and it's bound to be low on your list of things to work on, but I figured I'd mention it ;)

bumcheekcity

It did that already, then my host updated mySQL without telling me and then it didn't. And now it does again. No need to re-run the script.

snave

I love this script. I'm using the 2.1 beta. There are a few issues with the consumption data. This is just a report, not a complaint.

The list is identical to the wiki's category pages for food/booze so I'd wager BCC just copied it over as a partially functional placeholder and thus it inherited some of the wiki's weirdness. Having said it, I'm loving the beta script. Its already helped me identify a tonne of things I've failed to consume. Pro tip guys: when BCC rolls this out as a full release, those mall prices on rare foods and 'dingers will go well up.

BCC: If that potential for mall havoc concerns you at all, changing the consumption lists (I guess the recipes too) to a green/white colour scheme akin to the trophies might help, using red to highlight foods/drinks/recipes not attainable via regular play. If you want someone to go through and compile a of list what'd be "red" ones based on a particular criteria, as someone trying to eat/drink 2 of every "animal", I may be able to offer assistance.

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

You wager correctly, and I have considered the potential for market shaking, which is partially the reason why I'm slow to roll it out, but foods will only be red if there's absolutely no possibility of them being eaten. Like with the hand turkey. It's theoretically possible to get one, it's just not going to happen for 99.9999999999% of the playerbase.

I'm going to roll out v2.1 today and fix it "as it goes". The beauty of the script is that I can fix things like the consumption data on the fly without having anyone re-download the script.

Last edited:

snave

I guess the only reds then would be the Noob Quest and GenCon, Crimbo Cafe and failed Uncle Crimbo lost in Time foods, that I can think of. All the boozes bar Crimbo Cafe (and TPS but they're infinitely available) can be 'dingered?... 'ding'd?... 'dung? Whatever. I can personally attest to getting a Mt Noob Pale so I guess that covers all Quest item booze including the GEN and the flask of schnapps. Not to mention the (buggy?) 'dingering a 'dinger itself judging by leaderboards.

As per request in the new output, the following things shouldn't be listed:

Buggy:
--not listed--

Inedible:
Gloomy black mushroom
Oily golden mushroom
Ice stein
N.O. Beer
Otorian Battle Scar

Removed from database:
Superolive
Completely typical fruitcake
Unremarkable candy cane
Perfectly innocuous gingerbread bugbear
Untainted eggnogg
Cranmopolitan
Supermartini

Other buggy ones:
All with accented characters and superscript.
[Black & tan reads correctly but fails to register]

Maybe/probably impossible to get a record for:
Children's meal of the damned
Tofofu chow mein (I think this may be removed from the database actually, replaced by the level 12 super salad, would need to check it has an item ID)
Spooky frank (similar to below)
Flask of peppermint oil (although all these Quest Items were made into consumables after Crimbo, this one was not the end product, the schanpps was, and there are no records of anyone successfully consuming one)

MISSING:
Most raw and cooked foods and boozes from the reflection of a map from Down the Rabbit Hole. Oddly the jus is there.
Schroedinger's thermos (there are consumption leaderboards, I'm guessing it must be possible to drink a thermos and have the thermos itself come up as the random booze and get recorded - you can see the records archived on NO's site, although I'd recommend against visiting until their current woe's are over)
ALL *** nigiri
Elven _limbos_ gingerbread (gah, italics)

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Didn't fix "2", removed the inedible, those removed from the database, and fixed a few buggy ones. Will do the rest once I come back from my (FINAL!!!) exam.