bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I've had issues with BCCAscend and the GMOB but they were never anything I could describe well enough to make repeatable. In several cases I felt like it wasn't putting the right outfit on when it visited the Arena to complete the quest and in the most recent, although I had not adventured outside of mafia, I think something was confused about how many times I had spoken the words, because when I thought things had gone on too long and switched to manual adventuring, the GMOB showed up when mafia was not expecting it.

I to would like some advice as to the War settings that, on average, are going to give the lowest turn count in a BCCAscend run. I just dumbly do everything as a Frat but that seems suboptimal, even for me.

Theraze

BCC: We are fighting the GMOB!
Round 1: Belmow attacks!
Round 2: guy made of bees takes 9 damage.
You lose 24,832 hit points
Looks like the problem is that our GMOB handling is definitely screwed up currently. This being what we'd need to see that we're failing to actually throw fliers. Which is interesting because the issue it was having before was infinite-hitting the server and not throwing the fliers, and so I changed it to do similar to what my manual alias that worked was... except that's just getting ignored now and we're having it go on and just attacking. Which is all sort of fail. Joy.

Edit:Maybe it's that the command is "use <number>" as opposed to "item <name>" but it might also be in how the command gets transferred. Eh.

Last edited:

Theraze

I believe it's that mafia has item as its keyword with the item name and KoL itself requires use with the item number. But that's just my current understanding. And I still haven't shambled over for dinner.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
You can use item name, I've never used item number in my KoL macros (except maybe for gu-gone for the sauceror nemesis quest because it has a special character in it).

Theraze

Ah. Well BatBrain and by extension SmartStasis and WHAM both appear to use item numbers exclusively. Which was what I checked. :)

Winterbay

WHAM/BatBrain uses item numbers because it was coded that way and because there have been more errors with using names than numbers (and you avoid the special characters problem as well).

Mr_Crac

You can use item name, I've never used item number in my KoL macros (except maybe for gu-gone for the sauceror nemesis quest because it has a special character in it).

WHAM/BatBrain uses item numbers because it was coded that way and because there have been more errors with using names than numbers (and you avoid the special characters problem as well).

If spells/skills can be used by their number instead of their name as well, that could be a solution to the Käsesoßesturm problem.

When I was doing SC, I would run TONS of ML. I never had problems with flyering because I would save up the pyramid and desert and do those with lots of ML and the flyers. Because of the high ML I was running, I usually wouldn't need to power level at all to open up the war and then come back to use the flyers.

I know in BIG I can get the flyers done a lot faster by not doing the GMOB. Anytime after the Palindome the script could start the war (maybe you want to buy a bunch of stuff from the hippy first for crafting though) and then you can flyer darn near everywhere doing the other quests to get it done with *0* wasted turns.

But the script doesn't optimize flyers for BIG from what I've seen. I'm doing BIG because A) I can do the runs much faster than HCNP and B) I'm higher level at the end so I can use my good gear right away and get into the sea for the outfit pieces quickly.

Theraze

The script doesn't do ANY optimization for BIG! runs. Besides skipping the stuff that's supposed to be skipped. Shifting the order of quests all over the place would make it way more optimal. But... we don't do that. If you want to do that, just import the script and run the levels in the order you want instead. :)

slyz

Developer
I know in BIG I can get the flyers done a lot faster by not doing the GMOB.
The main issue is that Bumcheekcend wasn't written to make your runs faster. It was written to make your runs automation-er. Whatever your character.

The GMoB is a great way to make sure the flyer quest is done automatically in a scripted context. It works for all classes, for all challenge paths, whatever the skillset of the character.

Writing, testing and maintaining tons of little optimization tweaks, while taking into account dozens of different combinations of classes, skill sets, IoTMs and challenge paths, is simply too much to ask from BCC, Theraze and Winterbay.

Story

I just had another (minor) problem. The script didn't visit the untinkerer to get the screwdriver quest before going to the garage, so the screwdriver didn't drop for 30+ turns. I stopped & did it manually, so no biggie, just passing on the info.

Thanks again for the script!

bumcheekcity

When I was doing SC, I would run TONS of ML. I never had problems with flyering because I would save up the pyramid and desert and do those with lots of ML and the flyers. Because of the high ML I was running, I usually wouldn't need to power level at all to open up the war and then come back to use the flyers.

I know in BIG I can get the flyers done a lot faster by not doing the GMOB. Anytime after the Palindome the script could start the war (maybe you want to buy a bunch of stuff from the hippy first for crafting though) and then you can flyer darn near everywhere doing the other quests to get it done with *0* wasted turns.

But the script doesn't optimize flyers for BIG from what I've seen. I'm doing BIG because A) I can do the runs much faster than HCNP and B) I'm higher level at the end so I can use my good gear right away and get into the sea for the outfit pieces quickly.

I appreciate entirely that there is a large element of optimisation that could happen here. As people have already said, it's just the case that the script has such a large remit means there's so much to take into accounts.

My original intention when starting this was that people would be able to farm karma on a moxie class with no skills or IOTMs with literally no setup in a hardcore ascension. This still works. Supporting and optimising challenge paths is something that happens, and that I work on from time to time, but ultimately something that's secondary from my point of view to just getting normal HCNP ascensions working.

However, if you adventure up to the palindome automatically, then start the war manually and get the flyers, you can use WHAM (and trust me, you should be using WHAM because it's awesome) and it'll flyer everything for you and be done well before it gets to doing the war.

Theraze

I just had another (minor) problem. The script didn't visit the untinkerer to get the screwdriver quest before going to the garage, so the screwdriver didn't drop for 30+ turns. I stopped & did it manually, so no biggie, just passing on the info.

Thanks again for the script!

The script actually uses mafia's built-in handling for completing the untinker quest, so not completing that is actually a mafia bug... or New Content since TPTB keep changing the backend pages to place.php spots as they get bored. It's quite likely that the same thing has just happened to the untinker, so as soon as mafia goes to the right page to start the quest, this should work again.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The script actually uses mafia's built-in handling for completing the untinker quest, so not completing that is actually a mafia bug... or New Content since TPTB keep changing the backend pages to place.php spots as they get bored. It's quite likely that the same thing has just happened to the untinker, so as soon as mafia goes to the right page to start the quest, this should work again.

That was fixed in mafia 6 days ago. I just found one link that was missed, but it was only for relay browser play. Maybe Story needs to update mafia. If something still needs updating in mafia, then someone is going to have to track that down.

CKtheFat

I don't particularly care about optimization. I'm just glad this script runs mostly problem-free and is updated frequently, as doing the same quests over and over again is a bit tedious.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
The GMoB is a great way to make sure the flyer quest is done automatically in a scripted context. It works for all classes, for all challenge paths, whatever the skillset of the character.

Aside from Bees, but that doesn't matter, since you can't use rock band flyers or jam band flyers :)

Mr_Crac

That was fixed in mafia 6 days ago. I just found one link that was missed, but it was only for relay browser play. Maybe Story needs to update mafia. If something still needs updating in mafia, then someone is going to have to track that down.

That was not by any chance the Barrel full of Barrels?

That location is still not working for me in the relay browser of KoLmafia. Neither does it work in KoLmafia's mini-browser. Without KoLmafia, I can access this location just fine.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That was not by any chance the Barrel full of Barrels?

That location is still not working for me in the relay browser of KoLmafia. Neither does it work in KoLmafia's mini-browser. Without KoLmafia, I can access this location just fine.

The Barrel full of Barrels has nothing to do with the Untinker, so it isn't what I was talking about. Since you didn't post a bug report about that issue, no one was even trying to fix it.

Edit: I just smashed a barrel there in the Relay Browser. Make an actual bug report with more details.

Mr_Crac

The Barrel full of Barrels has nothing to do with the Untinker, so it isn't what I was talking about. Since you didn't post a bug report about that issue, no one was even trying to fix it.

Edit: I just smashed a barrel there in the Relay Browser. Make an actual bug report with more details.

I will do so, but I'm afraid I cannot give much more information than that I will simply get a blank white page. It certainly is a weird thing, happening seemingly only to a few people (but I am not the only one).

Don't we all just love hard to reproduce errors in software :(