bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Winterbay

It missed the ruby W for me but I think there is a deliberate design decision to not spend turns getting Tower Items. If you get to the Tower and need something the script lets you figure out how to get it.

Turning off moods helps with money management as does putting some thought into HP and MP restore techniques. Doing a 100% NPZR run seems to help in times of low meat because it will generate meat or restore HP and MP which are the major meat drain for me.

It'll hunt for all the other parts of the wand, but if you don't get the W during the friars quest it won't go back and farm for it which I guess it could do.

Theraze

Eh, it's been a while since I paid attention to how much it costs. And all my characters finished theirs back before the ZM challenge made it especially appealing. Believe it was around a million per pineal back at the time.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The best time to get a W is before turning in the friars quest (in a 3 monster zone instead of a 7? monster zone), but that interferes with getting liver/stomach..

bumcheekcity

Discussion!

New challenge path and Lv9 quest are out.

The new challenge path seems to be simply restrictive on normal hardcore, and you can only use skills from your own class. I assume this means that no further changes will be required to the script as have_skill() will be correct.

So just changes to the lv9 quest and then new version?

Winterbay

Argh! I'd just like to state that rolling out the new version of the quest for people that had already passed it is annoying (I can't ascend now since I need to do the level 9 quest again...)

Edit: Especially as my "current quests" is still empty...

Edit, edit: So... 150 turns later I'm through it and can ascend. The new path seems to be "lock to one class only" and nothing else so probably needn't change anything for that. The level 9 quest will require a lot of tweaking though. I'll take a look at it whenI get time at home where I have access to the wiki...

Last edited:

CKtheFat

Is it the leaflet or Orc Chasm quest that has been replaced? I'm guessing Orc Chasm... pity, that was a fun one. I probably won't get to it for a few more days in this ascension.

Winterbay

Orc Chasm has indeed been replaced. So instead of taking, say, 2 turns (one for a fax for an adding machine and one for a bad ascii art) it now takes closer to 100 (probably a lot of that can be shaved off by correct usage of things and skills, but a lot longer still).

Theraze

About 3 if you're faxing for the bridge or 30 if you aren't, then 3 noncombats for the first peak or 50 adventures if being done fully combat, 4 noncombats for the second peak which also requires an item created from the third peak unless you just keep getting stuck in which case it will let you skip after ~50 adventures, and between 6 and 30 adventures from the third peak depending on your +ML. So doable in 19 adventures now optimally, but that's a bunch more than the 2 before.

However, it is also very amusing, so that counts for something. :)

CKtheFat

Dang. Sounds like an extra day for a hardcore ascensions then, maybe two. Much more for oxygenarians. Just as I was beginning to work on HC power ascending too heheh.

I assume the script won't be updated to automate the new quest all that quickly. Does it run okay after completing it manually?

Winterbay

I think you'll need to set the appropriate setting manually (nad it'll still want to fax an ascii and a RAM which is pretty useless now).

Winterbay

About 3 if you're faxing for the bridge or 30 if you aren't, then 3 noncombats for the first peak or 50 adventures if being done fully combat, 4 noncombats for the second peak which also requires an item created from the third peak unless you just keep getting stuck in which case it will let you skip after ~50 adventures, and between 6 and 30 adventures from the third peak depending on your +ML. So doable in 19 adventures now optimally, but that's a bunch more than the 2 before.

However, it is also very amusing, so that counts for something. :)

You need quite a lot of either spooky/cold resistance or HP to be able to survive all the way through three noncombats with the ghosts... At least I had trouble with that as a level 13 zombie master.

I also think the third peak took more than 30 adventures with no extra ML (I managed to build one of everything up to 12 oilthings so 12+11+10+9+8+3 = 53, granted some of those were after the peak was cleared, but not 20+).

eggman

Should the script use the barnacle when fighting the gremlins during the war? It seems like it would help make that zone easier with no real down side.

After getting stuck and wasting tons of turns, I found this. Wish I had read it earlier...because DAMMIT I now will have a *7* day run instead of 6 (and my previous two runs were both 5 dayers). :( :( :( But, I did like the new orc area. The oil area wasn't bad. The damn mysterious peak was the one giving me issues...and trying to do that while tired from a long day is *not* a good idea without spaded help. Bear Arms make short work of the ghosts. :)

http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=198533

Should the script use the barnacle when fighting the gremlins during the war? It seems like it would help make that zone easier with no real down side.

I see no reason not to use some familiar...a sombrero type, volley type, mosquito even...delevel isn't a bad idea either. I wouldn't recommend an attack or block familiar. It seems like the block ones can prevent the special attack where you need to use the magnet.

Winterbay

I see no reason not to use some familiar...a sombrero type, volley type, mosquito even...delevel isn't a bad idea either. I wouldn't recommend an attack or block familiar. It seems like the block ones can prevent the special attack where you need to use the magnet.

Isn't the mosquito per definition an attack familiar?

xKiv

Yeah, blocking familiars are useless because you NEED to be hit to get the moly magnet attacks.

AFAIK, you don't need the messages to get the moly item - you only need to to see if you are fighting the correct gremlin (or, at the very least, I have definitely gotten the moly item right after getting the jump, without the gremlin doing anything).
Of course, this isn't very helpful unless you can afford to funksling magnet+something that makes sure you survive 30 rounds.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
AFAIK, you don't need the messages to get the moly item - you only need to to see if you are fighting the correct gremlin (or, at the very least, I have definitely gotten the moly item right after getting the jump, without the gremlin doing anything).
Of course, this isn't very helpful unless you can afford to funksling magnet+something that makes sure you survive 30 rounds.

Maybe there's something special for the first round of combat, where the condition of whether the magnet works or not is set but you have no way of knowing except trying the magnet. Whether or not you can successfully use the magnet only changes when the gremlin attacks you, at least. (If you see the tool message, you can stun the gremlin forever and use the magnet whenever you feel like it, as long as you don't let it attack again.)

You don't want a potato against gremlins.

CKtheFat

I was running this script and defeating the Bonerdagon. As soon as the fight was over, it opened the chest for the stats and the meat... unfortunately, I was trying to save it so I could build the robot ninja zombie pirate familiar in aftercore. As irritating as that is, I do fully understand that a zero-setup ascension script may not do exactly what you want it to :p

I'm not sure if I'm mixing this script up with another one, but is there a way to tell it to not use particular items, so I can avoid running into this problem in the future? Thanks!

Edit: Looked through the script. If I comment out this line (line 3825 of the script), will the script do as I think it will and not use open the chest?

if (cli_execute("use chest of the Bonerdagon")) {}

Last edited: