bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think specifying an outfit only applies to softcore. That's based on remembering stuff I've read here, rather than actually looking at the script, so someone else might come along and disagree.

Winterbay

I think specifying an outfit only applies to softcore. That's based on remembering stuff I've read here, rather than actually looking at the script, so someone else might come along and disagree.

Indeed. The opposite of this problem is actually the case for softcore where you can't have the script chose your equipment for you, but instead you must use the bumhceekascend outfit and update it appropriately yourself as the run progresses.

Let me check one thing: Have you really finished the first part of the bats quest? If not setting bcasc_stage_bats1 to 0 should fix the issue.

I mean, under which circumstance would it say "nothing more to do here" about the junction...

But, yes, the tower-item.getting function probably should clear goals before exiting.

I figured it out...I had no elemental resistance and so it couldn't adventure there to get the tower items. I put on the air freshener and used 2 clovers and got my sonar and baseballs and then the script continued on fine.

I have no desire, nor the know-how, to hack the script myself. ZS, at least from how I've been playing it, is more of an edge case due to not having other survivability skills available. I had thought, after reading the casual ascension setup, that making an outfit called "bumcheekascend" would make that my default outfit unless other stuff was needed for quests. Was I mistaken with this? Again, and this isn't the script's fault, in ZS I want the bear arms equipped over just about any other weapon/off-hand choice due to the 20% muscle bonus and skills. A Drowsy Sword (which I seem to be defaulting to recently) is nice and all, but it can't compete with the arms and the zero-cost skills they give you. I'm really not trying to pick a fight here (and I really like the script), I just wanted to know if there was another way to override the optimizer for specific slots since the arms can't be outfitted in HC. If not, no biggie. I just don't know enough about the inner workings of this stuff to poke around myself.

I'm using the bear arms in HC (Zombie Slayer challenge). You get them in a box when you ascend.

I autosold my drowsy sword in my last ascension. I had a much easier time beating people with the zombie arms in automation, with the DR, HP boost, muscle boost, etc. even when I wasn't using the skills. Kodiak Moment works awesome on physical immune monsters. Bear Hug is great too.

Winterbay

I figured it out...I had no elemental resistance and so it couldn't adventure there to get the tower items. I put on the air freshener and used 2 clovers and got my sonar and baseballs and then the script continued on fine.

Huh, I can't believe that hasn't come up before. I've fixed it locally and will commit as soon as I can.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It has always puzzled me that sometimes the outfit choice is honored and sometimes not and I now realize it is because I am comparing HC and SC characters. That said, in many cases my HC character has a Time Halo and so is weaponless after rollover. Many times, BCCAscend will swap out the Halo for something but never actually equip a weapon. Sometimes that is all right but most of the time whatever is being done can be done better with a weapon equipped. If I see it happening I can get satisfactory results by manually equipping a weapon (and then a better one will be selected) but it seems like either the Maximizer itself or the parameters BCCAscend uses should force a weapon to be equipped unless it is a Surprising Fist run or when equipping the weapon does not lower the requested result.

Crowther

I have no desire, nor the know-how, to hack the script myself.
No problem, but it's easier than most people think. This script is pretty straight forward and would require very little know-how to hack. I totally understand not having the desire.
Indeed. The opposite of this problem is actually the case for softcore where you can't have the script chose your equipment for you, but instead you must use the bumhceekascend outfit and update it appropriately yourself as the run progresses.
Ugh, yes. That's a hack I've been considering adding to my copy. Right now I have to manually switch in my ring of conflict when needed. And my default outfit doesn't get close to doing the cyrpt fast.

bumcheekcity

I have no desire, nor the know-how, to hack the script myself. ZS, at least from how I've been playing it, is more of an edge case due to not having other survivability skills available. I had thought, after reading the casual ascension setup, that making an outfit called "bumcheekascend" would make that my default outfit unless other stuff was needed for quests. Was I mistaken with this? Again, and this isn't the script's fault, in ZS I want the bear arms equipped over just about any other weapon/off-hand choice due to the 20% muscle bonus and skills. A Drowsy Sword (which I seem to be defaulting to recently) is nice and all, but it can't compete with the arms and the zero-cost skills they give you. I'm really not trying to pick a fight here (and I really like the script), I just wanted to know if there was another way to override the optimizer for specific slots since the arms can't be outfitted in HC. If not, no biggie. I just don't know enough about the inner workings of this stuff to poke around myself.

From my point of view, the script exists to farm karma, not to do challenge paths. If you start a challenge path and find you don't have the time to complete it then you might consider dropping down, then the script will work fairly well. If you want to run ZS paths, this script is likely not for you unless you're prepared to do some babysitting.

The drowsy sword thing is somewhat annoying, I concede, and can be solved by autoselling the sword. That's what I mean for babysitting, really. I could write something into the script, but I have a job, other business interests, other non-business interests and as it doesn't affect HCNP moxie, I'm not going to. (Though of course other contributors might have the time to do so).

Is there a reason you're playing ZS rather than HCNP? If you prefer it (if it's more fun) then great, but then surely there's no point in automating it? If you just want to take some time off the game and have a one-click (ish) ascension and come back to a massive bank of karma, then this is the script for you.

bumcheekcity

It has always puzzled me that sometimes the outfit choice is honored and sometimes not and I now realize it is because I am comparing HC and SC characters. That said, in many cases my HC character has a Time Halo and so is weaponless after rollover. Many times, BCCAscend will swap out the Halo for something but never actually equip a weapon. Sometimes that is all right but most of the time whatever is being done can be done better with a weapon equipped. If I see it happening I can get satisfactory results by manually equipping a weapon (and then a better one will be selected) but it seems like either the Maximizer itself or the parameters BCCAscend uses should force a weapon to be equipped unless it is a Surprising Fist run or when equipping the weapon does not lower the requested result.

That is a bit strange - it shouldn't do that. What class are you when this happens?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
That is a bit strange - it shouldn't do that. What class are you when this happens?

I think I first saw it with a moxie class but I just saw it with a Seal Clubber. It may be most frequent at lower levels and I'll grab details if it happens again this run, otherwise I'll pay closer attention on the next.

stannius

No problem, but it's easier than most people think. This script is pretty straight forward and would require very little know-how to hack. I totally understand not having the desire.

Well, it depends... Adding in an "equip left bear arm, equip right bear arm" is perhaps not too hard. Trying to manipulate the maximizer strings to generate a desired outcome more nuanced than that, is in my personal experience, much harder than it seems.

Uli

I don't know if this is at all possible, but what about something that can be written into the script that could trump all other options in the maximizer. Something like the 100% familiar thing in bumSeMan, but instead, you could have a box to add in things like the Astral Belt, Boris's Helm, or the Bear Arms that would always stay equipped outside of necessary outfits, making it already ready in the future when other items come out that are unique to a path. I understand this script is for moxie HCNP, but it seems like KoL is starting a pattern where there will be special IotMs for the various challenge paths, so just to be able to make sure your character keeps them equipped for whatever custom combat script we use would be a feature that many would appreciate.

I tend to use the script for whatever path I'm on during certain days just because I enjoy different levels more than others (for instance, I love day 1-2, can't stand day 4-5, and can go both ways on day 3 or 6), so I don't mind a certain degree of babysitting since I tend to use it for whatever path I'm on. I also find that using the script every other day or so usually helps me as I am almost always forgetting to do either the daily dungeons or getting the Digital/Richard's Key or unlocking the Dungeon of Doom. I do not expect nor ask that you guys do any more than you already have for this great script, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. Thanks again for the work you guys do.

Uli

That's the whole difficulty.

But I was trying to look at the script and figure out how I could do the bear arms because there's already a part in the script that does this for the Boris's Helm. Pardon my ignorance and I hate to talk about something I know so little of, but can't there be a blanket thing like "Maximize for mainstat/item find/whatever, but always equip x" where you can replace 'x' with whatever item you want, like the Boris's Helm, right and left bear arms, an astral belt, etc.?

xKiv

You can have that, but then you can't have "must have outfit O" in there too. And equipping the outfit afterwards will imvalidate the maximalization. And equipping it before might remove parts of the outfit when you maximize.
And you can't have both "equip ..." and "outfit ..." in the same maximize string, and even if you could, it would just say "impossible" when those equip parts collided with the outfit.

What you hypothetically could do is, in the script, maintain a list of what must be equipped (hat: if mandatory outfit has a hat, use that, otherwise use boris's hat; pants: ...) and then put an +equip ... for each of those in the maximize string.
That's the least easy part of it.

Winterbay

You can have equip and outfit in the same string, but as soon as the maximizer thinks it can fulfil any one of those it will be happy...

From my point of view, the script exists to farm karma, not to do challenge paths. If you start a challenge path and find you don't have the time to complete it then you might consider dropping down, then the script will work fairly well. If you want to run ZS paths, this script is likely not for you unless you're prepared to do some babysitting.

Is there a reason you're playing ZS rather than HCNP? If you prefer it (if it's more fun) then great, but then surely there's no point in automating it? If you just want to take some time off the game and have a one-click (ish) ascension and come back to a massive bank of karma, then this is the script for you.

Bonus karma - the +50/+100 bonus for the next 2 months now, or however long it's worth. At least, that's why I've been doing the challenge paths while farming karma... Makes the runs you do more effective. This applied to Boris in particular as well, and I expect it to for ZC as well - the hardcore runs once you built up a decent amount of skill points were *awesome* for karma farming because you got 300 karma a run, and (at least for those of us without a lot of karma already, and thus not a lot of HC-perm skills), it was far easier to "max out" the skills early and get enough to make the HC axecore runs pretty quick. I'm not even close to a skillful/good speed runner, and I was getting down to 6 days. Point being, while the particular path is seasonable, it's a great way to farm karma.

CofLBelgarion

The drowsy sword thing is somewhat annoying, I concede, and can be solved by autoselling the sword. That's what I mean for babysitting, really. I could write something into the script, but I have a job, other business interests, other non-business interests and as it doesn't affect HCNP moxie, I'm not going to. (Though of course other contributors might have the time to do so).

I'm mostly doing ZS for the novelty of it. I'm not automating my entire run, but I don't have the time that I used to and like to use the automation to get through the more tedious portions when I can't actually spend the time doing it myself. I appreciate the responses and really never expected for changes to be made...I just wanted to verify what features and options are present.

So I've done some poking around, and I've found a couple of references to "Wossname" with regards to BCA, but haven't found an answer to my question:

Can Bumcheek be set to automatically call OneClickWossname, and if so, how do I do that? It's not a big deal since I can simply stop BCA and click Wossname.ash when I reach the war. it's really just in the interest of total automation because I'm a nerd like that.

Winterbay

No, at the moment you cannot in any way set an external script that gets called by BCA (apart from generalised things like counterscripts and suchlike).