bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

Winterbay

Burning lots of turns (if left unattended) by trying to get pirate insults but not actually using the big book. All it does is keep killing them. A few days back I went AFK for a while, came back to find no adventures left and 103 bottles of rum in my inventory, and the pirate fledges quest still unfinished!! I normally fix this by selecting a combat macro, then restarting script. Couldn't the script have a few combat macros that it will use for certain quests? Or maybe some intelligent function that asks why a quest isn't finished yet? While on the subject of pirates, I notice the script will often not notice that it has the Frathouse Blueprints. It will carry on trying to get insults instead of progressing. It should stop and tell you to use the blueprints yourself.

The script has an override that should use the pirate book. I've never had any problems with it not using it, so I'd really appreciate getting some CLI-output or session logs from where you think it has failed to use the book.

I sometimes, depending on the character, find the script isn't healing and not even stopping to heal properly - uses tongue of walrus just the once to cure beaten up, and only heals about 40HP, then carries on and frequently gets killed/beaten up again. Rinse and repeat = result no progress in quest. The script should stop if this happens!! It stops just fine if it can't restore HP or MP, but happily continues on adventuring away in this circumstance, even though it's accomplishing nothing.
I tend to stop the script myself and just use the VIP Hot Tub, then restart script or just take over the quest anyway. Similar to pirate quest, if left unattended this can burn all remaining turns. I know this is [partly/totally?] my fault for not setting up the healing script & mafia settings properly, but why doesn't the script realize what it's doing?!

The script does no healing. At all. That is all up to Mafia and /or your recoveryScript. Setting those up is left as an exercise for the user, and it may be worth tweaking the lower and upper bounds for HP and MP restoration as you level up.

At level 13, once The War is won the script will often revert to a default and spend all turns in the HiTS farming, even though I already have the star key, hat and crossbow, and I know the council has been visited, and the NS Quest started. Manually doing the sorceress cavern & maze seems the easiest way to stop this behaviour, as it will then carry on normally. I know this is quite minor as the Lair is very easy to do manually, but the script is supposed to do it for you!

The only time it should go to the HITS at that point is to identify bang-potions, and it will adventure there until all 5 important ones have been identified. This should not take more than 10 turns if you have the potions. Do yo have evidence that it's taking more than that?

This one is quite minor too, but not in terms of a whole run. I notice there seems to be some skipping of choice adventures too, mainly in the cyrpt but also some other zones (bathroom/ballroom/bedroom). The game is designed around choices to get stats or meat, but the script just skips them. That doesn't make any sense at all!!

The script only uses the choice adventures that are needed and otherwise lets you do whatever you want with your choices, so if you want to get meat or whatever during the cyrpt-quest, feel free to set your choices to do so and the script won't stop you. If you have Bale's newlife-script it will set those adventures for you and will set them to "skip" since most don't want the meat (unless in a fist-run).

Even if just the Pirate Fledges Quest could be fixed it would make a big difference since that is a biggie and affects several quests. I know you'll probably want to see CLI quotes but I haven't got any at the moment. They can be supplied at a later date if you need them. If this is mainly me not setting mafia or scripts up right, please just tell me what I need to do!

As you said, I do noeed CLI-output (or sessionlogs) to be abel to do anything since I've never had any problem with that part.

metal_mickey

The script has an override that should use the pirate book. I've never had any problems with it not using it, so I'd really appreciate getting some CLI-output or session logs from where you think it has failed to use the book.

I will do that when I next encounter this. I can't think what else could be causing it though, if not the script. I'll be looking very carefully through all the mafia settings in case it's that.

The script does no healing. At all. That is all up to Mafia and /or your recoveryScript. Setting those up is left as an exercise for the user, and it may be worth tweaking the lower and upper bounds for HP and MP restoration as you level up.

I know the script doesn't heal, but i think it's bale's recovery script that is recommended for use, so if one script is using another it's kinda the same thing. I'll do as you suggest, thanks.

The only time it should go to the HITS at that point is to identify bang-potions, and it will adventure there until all 5 important ones have been identified. This should not take more than 10 turns if you have the potions. Do yo have evidence that it's taking more than that?

I've never seen it use bang potions in HiTS, but i'll keep an eye out and present evidence next time it happens.

The script only uses the choice adventures that are needed and otherwise lets you do whatever you want with your choices, so if you want to get meat or whatever during the cyrpt-quest, feel free to set your choices to do so and the script won't stop you. If you have Bale's newlife-script it will set those adventures for you and will set them to "skip" since most don't want the meat (unless in a fist-run).

I'll definitely trawl through and check all choices then, on all of my chars.

As you said, I do need CLI-output (or sessionlogs) to be abel to do anything since I've never had any problem with that part.

These will be supplied, it just might take me a while to have these problems occur again.

Ferdawoon

Just got me the Bloovian Groose, and wondered, are the spleen familiars in some way hardcoded into the script, or is there some Mafia Feature it use to know what familiars can drop spleen items?
Basicly, is it safe to assume that the script will grab my Bloovian Groose and get spleen items on its own, as I know it do with the Baby Sandworm and Rogue Program, or should I change my Default Familiar setting to be the Bloovian Groose instead of the one I'm using atm? Or do I need to change something in the script to add the new familiar?

Ferdawoon

I will do that when I next encounter this. I can't think what else could be causing it though, if not the script. I'll be looking very carefully through all the mafia settings in case it's that.
These will be supplied, it just might take me a while to have these problems occur again.
If you go to where you have your KoLMafia file (.exe or .jab don't matter) then you wil see a few folders there: script, data, relay, etc. One of those is Sessions. In there you can find the sessionlogs of whatever you have done in Mafia. See if you can't find something in there. At least it is a start until you encounter it again! =D

I know the script doesn't heal, but i think it's bale's recovery script that is recommended for use, so if one script is using another it's kinda the same thing. I'll do as you suggest, thanks.
Something I tend to forget is that whenever I ascend, the HP restoration settings is reset by Mafia, to not heal at all. Have had a few betings until I remember that, but then the script break as I have set it to break if it cannot heal me up =)

bumcheekcity

Just got me the Bloovian Groose, and wondered, are the spleen familiars in some way hardcoded into the script, or is there some Mafia Feature it use to know what familiars can drop spleen items?
Basicly, is it safe to assume that the script will grab my Bloovian Groose and get spleen items on its own, as I know it do with the Baby Sandworm and Rogue Program, or should I change my Default Familiar setting to be the Bloovian Groose instead of the one I'm using atm? Or do I need to change something in the script to add the new familiar?

In the script, CTRL+F "groose" will give you your answer in the changelog.

StDoodle

Minion
A few quick thoughts that aren't really specific enough for a feature request / bug report, but that I'd love to hear BCC's thoughts on:

1) Moar mimic. :p Actually, more of any starfish-type would be awesome. I know I can set one as a default familiar, but it doesn't appear that the script does much in the way of "starfishing" / "stasis" or whatever you want to call it. Even a rather simple combat macro of:
Code:
abort hppercentbelow 20if hasskill entangling noodles
skill entangling noodles
endif
while mppercentbelow 90 && !pastround 26
use seal tooth;endwhile
while !pastround 28
attack
endwhile
This would only be used if you currently had a starfish-type familiar (including cocoabo-types) and were at safe moxie (which the script usually goes for anyway), but it'd be handy and save quite a bit of meat. (One less interruption for "adv 20 treasury" would be awesome.)

2) I can't yet wrap my head around a great way to do so -- and maybe the script should handle it and not leave it to the user, maybe vice-versa -- but some simple way to trigger adjustments to HP/MP restore settings at certain "checkpoints" would be awesomesauce. Currently I'm adjusting them manually each day, based on my current level; I'd add in support inside of a breakfast script, but don't want to mess with my settings on any non-automated run, so it'd be nice if the script itself could do this. If it does, I apologize; it just doesn't seem to for me.

3) I can see this being a problem for some, so perhaps it would be best as an undocumented feature (or at least buried in the code, rather than publicly announced), but some way of completely avoiding the script's logic for fight handling and replacing it with your own would be awesomesauce. This can be done for myst, but doesn't seem selectable for other classes. But of course, the biggest use of this would be to make it handle fighting outside of safe moxie, which the script doesn't do much of anyway, so perhaps this isn't a great idea. *shrug*

Once again, thanks for the script!

metal_mickey

If you go to where you have your KoLMafia file (.exe or .jab don't matter) then you wil see a few folders there: script, data, relay, etc. One of those is Sessions. In there you can find the sessionlogs of whatever you have done in Mafia. See if you can't find something in there. At least it is a start until you encounter it again! =D

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that. I'll try to look this evening and see what I can find.

Something I tend to forget is that whenever I ascend, the HP restoration settings is reset by Mafia, to not heal at all. Have had a few betings until I remember that, but then the script break as I have set it to break if it cannot heal me up =)

Becoming more aware of this now too. I shall have a good overhaul of my mafia/script/everything settings tomorrow or Monday, whenever i have time. Sounds like it'll be well worth tinkering a bit each time I ascend. Thanks again.

metal_mickey

Hmmm.... On reflection, having had a bit of an epiphany of sorts, I realized that because I've had this problem for so long and normally nip it in the bud before it really occurs and then do most of the quest manually that I now have no idea of how the script should work. I think I worked out what one issue is though. Please tell me if I'm wrong!!

Right so, it looks to me that my standard combat macro causes ONE PART of the problem with the pirate fledges quest - slightly embarassed - I'd guess that my "stomp or attack" macro is stopping the script from using the book of insults. That would explain the "unspecified macro action". The script saying "use insult book" is stopped by my combat macro UNLESS, as I usually do, I change the macro before starting the quest to my "use insult book then stomp or attack" macro. This would definitely seem to be the case as far as I can see from this I found in my session logs, (please read on after the code part and please note the drinking was me getting my nightcap after realising I'd just wasted 200+ adventures):

Code:
 > BCC: We have not completed the stage [piratefledges].
 > BCC: Adventuring once at a time to meet the Cap'm for the first time.
[1224] Barrrney's Barrr
Encounter: You and the Cap'm Make it Hap'm
You acquire an item: Cap'm Caronch's Map
 > BCC: Getting and dealing with the Cap'm's Map.
 > BCC: Using the Cap'm's Map and fighting the Giant Crab
 > BCC: Getting the Blueprints
 > BCC: Setting goals of '1 Orcish Frat House blueprints'...
 > BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
 > BCC: We CAN set the MCD.
mcd 10
Encounter: This Adventure Bites
You acquire an item: Orcish Frat House blueprints
 > BCC: Adventuring one turn at a time to get 7 insults. Currently, we have 0 insults.

[1228] Barrrney's Barrr
Encounter: toothy pirate
Round 0: wednesday loses initiative!
Round 0: wednesday attacks!
You lose 19 hit points
After Battle: unspecified macro action?
After Battle: toothy pirate takes 100 damage.
After Battle: Hey Dave! leaps up and high-kicks  him for 26 damage.
After Battle: toothy pirate takes 26 damage.
After Battle: wednesday wins the fight!
You gain 51 Meat
After Battle: Hey Dave! proves that it's made for dancing, not walking, with a little impromptu line dancing.
You acquire an item: cocktail napkin
You gain 17 Strengthliness
You gain 6 Mysteriousness
You gain 6 Smarm
 > BCC: Adventuring one turn at a time to get 7 insults. Currently, we have 0 insults.

[1429] Barrrney's Barrr
Encounter: tetchy pirate
Round 0: wednesday wins initiative!
Round 0: wednesday attacks!
Round 1: tetchy pirate takes 132 damage.
Round 1: wednesday wins the fight!
You gain 50 Meat
After Battle: Hey Dave! does the bottom part of an Irish jig.
You acquire an item: bottle of rum
You acquire an item: cocktail napkin
You gain 11 Strengthliness
You gain 6 Mysteriousness
You gain 8 Cheek

[1430] Barrrney's Barrr
Encounter: Yes, You're a Rock Starrr
Took choice 185/3: stats
choice.php?whichchoice=185&option=3&pwd
You gain 111 Muscleboundness
You gain 100 Magicalness
You gain a Mysticality point!
You gain 100 Smarm
You gain a Moxie point!

drink 1 white Canadian
You gain 5 Adventures
You gain 13 Fortitude
You acquire an effect: Canadianity (duration: 3 Adventures)
You gain 3 Drunkenness

HOWEVER, I'm still troubled by the following:

Code:
 > BCC: Adventuring once at a time to meet the Cap'm for the first time.

[1224] Barrrney's Barrr
Encounter: You and the Cap'm Make it Hap'm
You acquire an item: Cap'm Caronch's Map
 > BCC: Getting and dealing with the Cap'm's Map.
 > BCC: Using the Cap'm's Map and fighting the Giant Crab

use 1 Cap'm Caronch's Map

[1225] Cap'm Caronch's Map
Encounter: booty crab
Round 0: wednesday loses initiative!
You lose 25 hit points
Round 1: wednesday executes a macro!
Round 1: wednesday attacks!
Round 2: booty crab takes 70 damage.
You lose 26 hit points
Round 2: wednesday attacks!
Round 3: booty crab takes 69 damage.
Round 3: wednesday wins the fight!
You gain 378 Meat
After Battle: Hey Dave! tries to start a mosh pit, but ends up slam-dancing with itself.
You acquire an item: Cap'm Caronch's nasty booty
You gain 16 Strengthliness
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 7 Wizardliness
You gain 8 Chutzpah
 > BCC: You aren't in a combat (or something to do with Ed which I can't work out), so bumRunCombat() doesn't need to do anything.

> BCC: Getting the Blueprints
 > BCC: Setting goals of '1 Orcish Frat House blueprints'...
 > BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
 > BCC: We CAN set the MCD.
mcd 10
Encounter: This Adventure Bites
You acquire an item: Orcish Frat House blueprints

Is this an order of doing things problem? I'd normally try to get insults whilst waiting to get caronch map, use map, get more insults if needed, get then immediately use blueprints, then make sure I have enough insults and play beer pong with 6 or 7. If the script goes caronch map, get blueprints, get 7 insults, use blueprints, then beer pong then fair enough, and this is all my error, but I always thought part of the problem was that it doesn't realize it has the blueprints and can't use them. Or was that a previous error which has since been fixed?

Last edited:

Theraze

It's a mix of RNG luck (no combats between finding the map, booty crab, and getting the blueprints) and CCS hate (your combat macro causing it not to get insults earlier). If your CCS hadn't been causing it to fail to get insults before or you hadn't been as lucky with adventures, you'd probably have 3-5 insults before you'd fight the crab. If you hadn't been lucky enough to get it first round after the booty, it would have had a few more rounds to get insults after. But why would it waste turns farming insults when the next step is already available?

Winterbay

Right so, it looks to me that my standard combat macro causes ONE PART of the problem with the pirate fledges quest - slightly embarassed - I'd guess that my "stomp or attack" macro is stopping the script from using the book of insults. That would explain the "unspecified macro action". The script saying "use insult book" is stopped by my combat macro UNLESS, as I usually do, I change the macro before starting the quest to my "use insult book then stomp or attack" macro. This would definitely seem to be the case as far as I can see from this I found in my session logs, (please read on after the code part and please note the drinking was me getting my nightcap after realising I'd just wasted 200+ adventures):

Do you have your macro set as an KoL autoattack?

bumcheekcity

A few quick thoughts that aren't really specific enough for a feature request / bug report, but that I'd love to hear BCC's thoughts on:

1) Moar mimic. :p Actually, more of any starfish-type would be awesome. I know I can set one as a default familiar, but it doesn't appear that the script does much in the way of "starfishing" / "stasis" or whatever you want to call it. Even a rather simple combat macro of:
Code:
abort hppercentbelow 20if hasskill entangling noodles
skill entangling noodles
endif
while mppercentbelow 90 && !pastround 26
use seal tooth;endwhile
while !pastround 28
attack
endwhile
This would only be used if you currently had a starfish-type familiar (including cocoabo-types) and were at safe moxie (which the script usually goes for anyway), but it'd be handy and save quite a bit of meat. (One less interruption for "adv 20 treasury" would be awesome.)

2) I can't yet wrap my head around a great way to do so -- and maybe the script should handle it and not leave it to the user, maybe vice-versa -- but some simple way to trigger adjustments to HP/MP restore settings at certain "checkpoints" would be awesomesauce. Currently I'm adjusting them manually each day, based on my current level; I'd add in support inside of a breakfast script, but don't want to mess with my settings on any non-automated run, so it'd be nice if the script itself could do this. If it does, I apologize; it just doesn't seem to for me.

3) I can see this being a problem for some, so perhaps it would be best as an undocumented feature (or at least buried in the code, rather than publicly announced), but some way of completely avoiding the script's logic for fight handling and replacing it with your own would be awesomesauce. This can be done for myst, but doesn't seem selectable for other classes. But of course, the biggest use of this would be to make it handle fighting outside of safe moxie, which the script doesn't do much of anyway, so perhaps this isn't a great idea. *shrug*

Once again, thanks for the script!

1) Version 0.40 (to be released very soon) will not buff past safe moxie, and will attempt to use other gear, particularly MP regen gear for this. I hope this will solve some of the problems by equipping a chef's hat or similar early on in the game. Otherwise, how would you suggest the logic works for the starfishing?

2) Agreed, could you make a feature request?

3) Do you mean, for the few specified areas where it takes over? They are fairly few and far between.

Winterbay

3) Do you mean, for the few specified areas where it takes over? They are fairly few and far between.

The only thing the myst-option does is let you use your own CCS instead of the built in myst-thingie. Moxie and Muscle all use your CCS already for the places where the script isn't doing things on its own (like flyering and insulting).

bumcheekcity

In 0.40, I'm going to include some logging of script usage, for the purpose of determining what people's settings are and suchforth.

In that, I was also going to take api.php?what=status, but notice the pwd field is there. Now, I'm obviously not going to do anything with the hashed passwords, but I don't want the accusation that I could, so are they salted such that the hash is borderline impossible to hack, or should I get status from other information?

Winterbay

Isn't the hash also only a 1-time thing?, which would thus be useless if used after the user has logged out and at least meaning that if you were to try anything you would have a rather small window to do so in :)

metal_mickey

Do you have your macro set as an KoL autoattack?

No. It's this:

scrollwhendone
pickpocket
use Big Book of Pirate Insults

attack
repeat

scrollwhendone

pickpocket

or this, when not doing the fledges quest...

if hasskill release the boots
skill release the boots
endif

attack
repeat

Winterbay

No. It's this:

scrollwhendone
pickpocket
use Big Book of Pirate Insults

attack
repeat

scrollwhendone

pickpocket

or this, when not doing the fledges quest...

if hasskill release the boots
skill release the boots
endif

attack
repeat

And you have that in your CCS-window? If so the script should really get in first, but it clearly didn't, which is odd.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Isn't the hash also only a 1-time thing?, which would thus be useless if used after the user has logged out and at least meaning that if you were to try anything you would have a rather small window to do so in :)

Not only is it one-time-only, but you have to have the same User Agent to use it.

bumcheekcity

Version 0.40 released. Most major change here is the maximizer being changed to not buff past safe moxie if possible, then use MP regen gear.