bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I am surprised no one has mentioned this and I regret that I failed to capture the exact text, but one of the choices in the second level of the Crimbot explored Factory is a thinly veiled reference to bcc_ascend, contained on a button label.

Bale

Minion
He said thinly veiled reference, not thin reference. I thought it was extremely funny since that is the very definition of an automated ascension. :D

Crowther

The button says, "doscript(bcc_automated_ascension)" and the result is "<Crimbot Name> slowly ascends the ladder."

Just an FYI on an upcoming change:

December 26
At rollover on December 31, a new version of the Naughty Sorceress' Tower quest will be rolled out. If you are in the middle of the old quest at that time, your progress will be reset to the bottom of the new tower. If you've finished the old one, you'll have finished the new one.

Fluxxdog

A big note for Picky. Your "Level 0" skills are not available unless they've been permed. One of the blocks I found affected starts at 1664:
Code:
				switch (my_class()) {
					case $class[turtle tamer] : return "skill toss";
					case $class[seal clubber] : return "skill clobber";
					case $class[pastamancer] : return "skill Spaghetti Spear";
					case $class[sauceror] : return "skill salsaball";
					case $class[Disco Bandit] : return "skill suckerpunch";
					case $class[Accordion Thief] : return "skill sing";
					default: abort("unsupported class");
				}
This can cause BCA to constantly try using a skill you don't have. Since it's a challenge path, yeah, but thought it was an interesting scenario. It seems to work damn well for everything else in Picky.

Theraze

Meh. There's also the other trivials that it uses sometimes without checking.

Bottom line is that if you use it while Picky, expect some weirdness unless you learn your Level 0s. :) Since we can't guarantee anything else either.

lightwolf

I tried running BumCheek ascend for the first time in a while.

Used it in a Softcore SC Standard run.

Spent 29 turns in the spooky forest first thing (ok maybe bad luck. But havent had chance to set the song yet...)
20 turns in the 8-bit relam (But Jung man is right there)
And then 37 turns in the hippy camp trying to farm an outfit with +2 combat. (why now instead of level 9? Why not YR. Why so maaaany turns)

Edit: Sorry, I meant a Hardcore SealClubber Standard Run.

Last edited:

Theraze

Well, you're using a hardcore moxie optimized script on a softcore muscle ascension.

I understand that people like EoD's softcore ascension script for those runs...

lightwolf

Well, you're using a hardcore moxie optimized script on a softcore muscle ascension.

I understand that people like EoD's softcore ascension script for those runs...

Sorry, I meant Hardcore SC run. But I don't see what Moxie vs Muscle class has to do with spending 40 turns in the hippy camp on day 1.

I just used to remember this script being fine for HC runs before, including stuff like Boris.

There should still be multiple sources of YR. So if the goal was to get hippy outfit day 1 so Moxie classes can mix drinks; it should save a YR to get the hippy outfit (instead of wasting 40 turns). It may have been that it used to use He-Boulder, but under t69 it should consider either the Crimbo Shrub or Unbearable light instead. (Probably hasn't been updated to consider them)

Though it is arguable if hippy stand access is necessary at all pre level 9 (outfit for war latter), with access to smith drinks and the VIP Speak Easy which is easily 12 Drunkness a day.

There should probably also be an option to do the pixels manually in the setup script, as long as Jung Man is still an option for some players. Thats 6 turns vs 20 turn bloopers.

Both of these fall into the 'save 10 turns' threshold for consideration for updates.

Edit: Yeah looks like the issue is that it normally would try to YR there, but it only considers He-Boulder which is no longer t69.
Script would need to be updates to also consider/use the crimbo shrub instead, and also to use its quest equipment on first use to make sure it is set to mainstat, prism, YR ect.

Last edited:

lightwolf

Day 2 of Testing this Script against HC Standard.
Manually YR a hippy turn 1 so it wouldn't worry about it. All ready mentioned that before, but it would need Crimbo Shrub support added to its YR list.

35 room billiard. Noticed it did not consider having 10 drunkness before starting, meaning it tried to level up pool skill a bunch of un-needed turns. If its not going to drink for the user, it should probably stop at this point and ask them if this is what they intend. Otherwise, I would personally consider using the Chaetu and preping a writting desk + Reanimator while that is still t69 to save the 55+ turns it spent trying t unlock manor.

Max turn friars, I'll put down to bad luck at 10% NC (without song set)

21 Turn Niche. I have olfacate in the custom combat script, so I'll assume that it just got unlucky with the timing window.

23 Turns at ItznotyeritzMine. In a 4+ day run, It'd probably be worth considering doing clovers to get the ore over several day, and moving on to pirates/floor 2 manor at this point.

Goar: The optimizer for goar attempted to put on prismatic damage because of goars soft damage cap. This involved putting on a double barreled sling for the sleaze damage even though i don't have enough moxie to hit with it (instead of sticking with smith weapon. as a muscle class). One turn not a big loss however...

It hasn't started the DD yet. Since keys are no longer zappable, this is a bigger deal as it could extend the run by an unnecessary day or 2 if it waits to long.

Finished day 2, 372 turns spent, 3 stats from level 10. Level 9 quest not started. Manor level 2 just opened. Pirate Bar not started.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Do we have an ETA on when will the script support the revamped tower?

No sooner than five minutes after KoLmafia supports the revamped tower. When you can go to mafia and use the Quests menu and no longer see the old tower quests then you should consider asking again. ;-)

Theraze

Especially since the way that this script currently supports the tower is by calling mafia's built-in tower solver... If the auto-solver CLI function name doesn't change, it won't even take the five minutes...

Theraze

*coughs* Well, frono, a dev, said it might have support 5 minutes after mafia does. For that to happen, it would need to be mafia-driven support. If it's manual support, then it will take significantly longer than 5 minutes... :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I look forward to seeing frono's implementation of built-in quest scripts for the new tower!

Personally, it seems like there is a heck of a lot more choice involved in the new tower, so I'd be perfectly content if we left automating it to user scripts.