bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

So...is this do-able to script in? (Yes, it means I want to be lazier)

Code:
BCC: levelMe(148, true) called.
Level 13 Starting
BCC: We have not completed the stage [lair0].
BCC: We have not completed the stage [lair0].
BCC: Please get stick of dynamite for telescope part 7 from 'Muscle Vacation' yourself
BCC: We have completed the stage [lair0] and need to set it as so.
bcasc_stage_lair0 => 217
BCC: We have completed the stage [lair0].
BCC: You need tower items that the script won't automatically get. Go get them yourself.

> adv 1 shore

MCD: The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency has no known combats.

Visit to Beach: The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency in progress...

[937] The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency
You acquire an item: Shore Inc. Ship Trip Scrip
You lose 3 Adventures
You spent 500 Meat
You gain 154 Sarcasm

Requests complete.

> use 1 dude ranch

Verifying ingredients for dude ranch souvenir crate (1)...
Purchasing dude ranch souvenir crate (1 @ 1 Shore Inc. Ship Trip Scrip)...
Visiting the The Shore, Inc. Gift Shop...
You acquire an item: dude ranch souvenir crate
The Shore, Inc. Gift Shop successfully looted!
Successfully created dude ranch souvenir crate (1)
Using 1 dude ranch souvenir crate...
You acquire bottle of whiskey (2)
You acquire coconut shell (2)
You acquire stick of dynamite (2)
Finished using 1 dude ranch souvenir crate.

;)

Theraze

Not without completely rewriting the telescope section. Since it's not just a simple "adventure here until you get it" item, it can't complete that.

Tweaked the start of Ed's combat to try to pass the choice through and successfully start the combat.

Can someone fix the broken skull? I have it set to get items as I go, and the last half dozen or so ascensions it complains I need a broken skull for the lair and it stops. I thought it used to grab one in guano junction while doing the boss bat.

I know it's not a tower item, but it is needed for the lair and when I'm manually running an ascension I always get it in guano junction before leaving. It might not be optimal but when you throw all your item drops on doing guano junction it doesn't take long.

Crowther

BCA will use clovers to get sonars if you have any. So sometimes it won't even adventure in the Guano Junction. However, when it does, this code is odd:
Code:
bumAdv($location[Guano Junction], "+10stench res", "items", "1 sonar-in-a-biscuit", "Getting a Sonars");
We're asking for an item drop familiar, but not bothering to use any item drop equipment. I think this would be an improvement:
Code:
bumAdv($location[Guano Junction], "+100 stench res 1 max, item", "items", "1 sonar-in-a-biscuit", "Getting a Sonars");
I think I got that right. We only need at most 1 stench resistance.

Theraze

Unfortunately, with mafia's maximizer the way it is, you can't easily guarantee the stench res. Also, the 1 max means that you will try for stench res, but if it doesn't happen, try to adventure anyways, because we don't care about a minimum level.

Crowther

Oh, right. I knew I was forgetting something. The code ahead of that line tries very hard to make sure that stench res is available, so maybe it is okay.

The other broken part about the broken skull is that it's trying to get it from the Fun House, even though I have bcasc_getLEW set to false.

Code:
Casting Empathy of the Newt 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Empathy (duration: 5 Adventures)
Empathy of the Newt was successfully cast.
Mood swing complete.
BCC: Getting a big bass drum
Conditions list cleared.
BCC: Setting goals of '1 big bass drum'...
Condition added: big bass drum
BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
BCC: We CAN set the MCD.
Mind control device already at 10

Checking for updates (running ZLib rev. 23)...
Checking for updates (running Best Between Battle rev. 18)...
You have the latest use_for_items.txt. Will not check again today.

Request 1 of 90 (Plains: The "Fun" House) in progress...

[1021] The "Fun" House
Encounter:
Nothing more to do here.

Checking prerequisites...
Verifying ingredients for bone rattle (1)...
You need 1 more broken skull to continue.
Checking prerequisites...
Verifying ingredients for bone rattle (1)...
You need 1 more broken skull to continue.
Failed to arm the mariachis

Crowther

Most paths someone asks, but I think it's obvious that Heavy Rains is insanely tough to integrate into BCA. On the other hand, you can entirely forget it is Heavy Rains and BCA will do your run, just no where near optimal. So BCC's goal of getting it done, even if slow, is working. Well, except for those damned cows.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I've been using several scripts to get through Heavy Rains. I'm just interested in getting the job done, regardless of how well or efficient. My biggest single concern with BCCAscend is that when left to its own devices it unequips the umbrella and/or water wings and so tends to fail spectacularly, at least if getting Beaten Up consistently is a spectacular fail. That said none of my other tools support the Highland Lord or Island War as well as BCCAscend and if I delay those for as long as possible and then use BBCAscend it manages to succeed. I suspect if effective monster level (whatever that means) were part of BCCAscend's decision about where to adventure next (or the more general task/quest ordering) it considered manipulations to ML whenever things appeared too safe or too hard Heavy Rains might be supported "good enough".

Tangentially, my general approach has been to use Adventure Advisor, Guide, and unpublished scripts to a) figure out what needs to be done and b) find the safest place to adventure to accomplish something that is otherwise undone. Once I have my mini-goal I use scripts, auto or manual adventuring as appropriate. One thing that is interesting about this is there are several cases where BCCAs order is different and I have not researched why that might make sense. Needless to say the order in HR is radically different and playing in that order is interesting (and probably inefficent).

Crowther

I don't use those items. I'm doing softcore and able to handle some pretty tough fights with WHAM. The first few HR runs were rough, but now that I start with nine rain skills, I'm able to automate nearly every fight and win with both water deepening skills running. It is nice not having to power level. The maximizer choosing the ant hoe over the life preserver is a small problem.

Ulti

Been noticing the script aborting a lot. Without a way to remove beaten up in hardcore, when running cli_execute("uneffect beaten up") cli_execute returns false because it fails, and returning false to the main block aborts the script entirely. I had to wrap all the cli_execute calls around an "if" statement. Also I see an instance of "unaffect" in the script which had to be changed to "uneffect".

Winterbay

If you get beaten up a lot you may want to look into why you get beaten up as well. The script does abort if it can't remove beaten up for a reason since adventuring with that effect is generally not a good idea and may lead to the script going levelling more than what would be needed.

Ulti

Ya but it aborts before reaching if (have_effect($effect[Beaten Up]) > 0) abort("Script could not remove Beaten Up."); due to the returning false to main block I mentioned, which left me wondering what parts of the script to comment out if I want to adventure with beaten up active.

I was getting beaten up, I found out, because I had "hpAutoRecovery" disabled. I just set it to 0.9 and now the script is working fine again.

Theraze

Fixed the "unaffect" typo. There's still a loop in fighting Ed if you lose, and I personally get somewhat frustrated with the script making me re-launch when I don't get the filthworm bit due to lousy luck, but those aren't mentioned above and are just on my personal list of "stuff to look at eventually that other people haven't mentioned yet" so... lower priority. :)

I have noticed that when doing the lvl 4 quest, the script would farm for an air freshener if I don't have any other equipment that gives stench res, but the thing is, I have access to Elemental Saucesphere, wouldn't it be better to have the script use that when available instead of wasting turns in the entrance? Even if I don't have a saucepan yet and I have to fish for it on the sewers, I would much rather spend some meat getting one than wasting turns, specially in the early levels.

Winterbay

It probably is. What is the setting called and is it a boolean or other type of setting? If I get those I can do it right now :)