bumcheekcend.ash - A zero setup semi-automated ascension script!

slyz

Developer
I know pictures are worth a thousand words, but a thousand words take up less memory. Maybe those images don't need to be hosted here?

Theraze

If/when picture is removed, it should probably get a minion to write up briefly what the picture contained... in this case, just a message that Knob Cake was not found, in line <whatever> of bumcheekascend .22 or something similar.

bumcheekcity

In bumAdv(), setFamiliar() should be called after buMax(), and the "-familiar" switch should be added to buMax() for the correct cases.

I've moved the buMax() to being the first thin in bumAdv(). exactly how are you suggesting that the -familiar flag gets called?

lightwolf

The script keeps spending all of its remaining adventures at the Giant's Castle, instead of stopping and completing the quest when its done. I've seen this happen the last few runs now.

It's when it tries to go to the giants castle, decide it needs to level up muscle, levels up at the gallery for a little bit and then starts in on the Castle. It will spend all of its remaining adventures there unless you stop it. (If it runs out and then checks to use spleen items, ect, it will move on to the next part with the few extra adventures you gain.)

This was 0.22 with a Seal Clubber ascension.

natnit

A quick error I found (I think?). I'm looking at v0.22.

Line 2896 should be edited to read:

Code:
set_property("choiceAdventure80", "99"); //(Rise) - this always needs to be set. It's Fall that has the conservatory adventure.

Source: http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Talk:Take_a_Look,_it's_in_a_Book!_(Rise)

Edit: Oh, and before I forget, I believe -NC should be run in acquiring Mega Gem, in the Poop Deck (waiting for Swordfish), and in the Upper Chamber. Not sure if they're affected by combat modifiers or not, but I'll pay more attention during this run through.

Bale

Minion
Edit: Oh, and before I forget, I believe -NC should be run in acquiring Mega Gem, in the Poop Deck (waiting for Swordfish), and in the Upper Chamber. Not sure if they're affected by combat modifiers or not, but I'll pay more attention during this run through.

"It's Always Swordfish" and Whee! are super-likelies unaffected by NC. Mr Alarm is also a super-likely, but it may (or may not) be affected by NC. Hopefully someone else can enlighten us about that.

stannius

I suppose I'll just ask the crazy question - what is that point?

Related:
Code:
boolean bcascMacguffinPrelim() {
	while (!contains_text(visit_url("woods.php"),"hiddencity.gif")) {
		if (have_familiar($familiar[Mini-Hipster])) use_familiar($familiar[Mini-Hipster]);
		bumAdv($location[hidden temple], "", "hipster", "1 choiceadv", "Getting another ChoiceAdv to open the Temple");
	}

BTW, how would one go about creating and submitting a patch?

Last edited:

bumcheekcity

Got that in version 0.22. Though it doesn't really matter because it's in the temple, and it'll never "use" the familiar unless it's a hipster, it will spoil 100% runs if we use the hipster without correctly calling setFamiliar(), which respects 100% runs.

Create and submit a patch by rewriting the code and submitting it to sourceforge page. Picklish/ennewalker submits proper diffs, which are very useful because there are often hefty submissions, which I'm thankful for - but smaller submissions don't worry about it - just paste the code or attach a .txt file to a bugreport on the sourceforge.

I'm fairly busy IRL ATM, so submitting a bugreport with a patch will really improve your chances of it being implemented within a month (I also prioritise ones that I want fixed personally and/or that affect me). Though feel free to submit reports without them, that's why the sourceforge page is there, to keep track of what needs doing.

Last edited:

stannius

Got that in version 0.22. Though it doesn't really matter because it's in the temple, and it'll never "use" the familiar unless it's a hipster, it will spoil 100% runs if we use the hipster without correctly calling setFamiliar(), which respects 100% runs.

Do you mean 0.23? It's still in 0.22.

Would you accept a patch that provides a warning when switching familiars in a 100% run? What I mean is,

when setFamiliar is called,
if bcasc_100familiar != "",
and my_familiar() != $familiar[bcasc_100familiar],
and my_familiar() is not in the set e.g. reassembled blackbird, parrot, sorceress' giant familiars, and other familiars that one might reasonable expect to use during a 100% run,
display a warning/countdown before changing familiars, in case you're starting a new ascension and forgot to change bcasc_100familiar from the last one.

Last edited:

Theraze

Better would be to not allow the switching... if you've set that you're in a 100% run, you should never use another familiar besides the quest familiars and in the arena. If you're in a new run, you should get used to switching the preference yourself when you're picking your new familiar...

bumcheekcity

Yeah, I mean 0.23. And no, I wouldn't accept that patch, because the script should never switch familiars in a 100% run, and if it does, it's a bug.

Indeed, this is why I have the setFamiliar() function, because the first entry checks for a 100% familiar set, and then chooses that one if appropriate, ignoring absolutely everything else. I'm not aware of that not working, particularly as I've been chaining 100% runs for a while.

CRennings

Feature request, I guess

I admit, though I do watch this thread, I have not read all 114 pages, so if this has already been discussed, or there is a reason for you to prefer not to implement it, I do apologize, but as a thought for future updates, have you considered adding a feature for softcore runs that would, among other things skip getting the star equipment and the digital key? Perhaps making it a choice in the relay. I don't know how difficult that would be, but, it's something that occurs to me every softcore run.

bumcheekcity

Well, the star equipment you'd probably just pull, but yeah, I can see how the digital stuff in particular could be a little annoying. Add it to the sourceforge page as a feature request, and I'll see what I can do about it.

CRennings

Normally I do pull the star items, but the script still opens the hole in the sky before checking if you have them, so I thought an option to skip that too might be considered. Your choice, of course.

natnit

Create and submit a patch by rewriting the code and submitting it to sourceforge page. Picklish/ennewalker submits proper diffs, which are very useful because there are often hefty submissions, which I'm thankful for - but smaller submissions don't worry about it - just paste the code or attach a .txt file to a bugreport on the sourceforge.

I'm fairly busy IRL ATM, so submitting a bugreport with a patch will really improve your chances of it being implemented within a month (I also prioritise ones that I want fixed personally and/or that affect me). Though feel free to submit reports without them, that's why the sourceforge page is there, to keep track of what needs doing.

I posted a patch to Sourceforge using the diff command from UnxUtils. Is it in the appropriate format? Should I bug report all of the issues that I was attempting to fix individually, or in one single bug? Although I've coded quite a bit in the past, I've managed to get away with never learning proper version control, so this is pretty new to me. :)

stannius

Better would be to not allow the switching... if you've set that you're in a 100% run, you should never use another familiar besides the quest familiars and in the arena. If you're in a new run, you should get used to switching the preference yourself when you're picking your new familiar...

The case I am thinking about is forgetting to set the preference when starting a new run. I tried adding something to newlife.ash, but it uses a different preference file (data/vars_[user].txt) than bca (settings/[user]_prefs.txt) so it didn't help.

Another case is playing on multiple computers and setting it on one but not the other. Granted, mafia in general doesn't work well in that case. One should probably not do that, or use dropbox on login/out, or whaver.

Anyways, I recognize that it's pretty marginal. But on the other hand it could save a whole run.

What tool(s) can one use to make proper diffs?