Bug - Fixed Boring binder clip

Tarko

Had choice adv set to fight Ghost, Get paper Clip, Fight accountant.

Because I knew I had all 5 files, I found it weird it took so long to get the paperclip and fight the ghost.

So I switch to 'show in browser'.

When the choice comes up the spoiler text says 'completed' under the choice for the Ghost fight.

Turns out it isn't, you need to use the little bugger.

So, I reckon it's a bug, if you put in the ChoiceAdv the ability to automate that part but Mafia just loops, keeps on fighting Accountant because it already has the paperclip in inv put cant fight Ghost because it hasn't used it.

So maybe the easiest fix is to use the clip if you have all 5 pages?

Anyways you look at it, putting the spoiler text to 'complete' without using the clip is a bug.

Darzil

Developer
Am I right in guessing you had autoCraft set to false ?

I'll make it abort if you have binder clip and all pages, rather than fight accountant.

With autoCraft set to true it should have used the clip.

Theraze

When I was automating it yesterday, it tried to auto-use the boring binder clip while it was still officially in the choiceadv (got a red message that I was still in a choice, rather than the clip being used). It then failed to use it afterwards, probably because it thought it was already used. After another fight, I used it manually and that worked fine.

Something appears to have made mafia consider choiceadvs done before KoL is ready to be done with it. MIGHT even be the change from charpane to api, since that's the only recent change I can think of around when I started seeing red warning messages on auto-completes, and I don't remember seeing it happening when in the relay browser.

Tarko

I tried to find the option under Preferences -or- Item Management, but can't seem to find 'auto-crafting' or anything that says 'allow crafting/use of adv for crafting'

could you guide me where to find the option please?

Darzil

Developer
Might be a CLi only one. "set autoCraft=true"

The default is true.

It'll make a badass belt, bonerdagon necklace, talisman o' nam and this when possible.

Tarko

I just did a 'get autoCraft' and it came back as True

Don't know how it changes your initial thought on the subject.

Darzil

Developer
I suspect you may have been stuck in a non-combat as Theraze was (had all 5 files, but not clip).

I'm not sure how to handle this at present.

Theraze

The other time I see this happen is when getting the diary during the level 11 quest. I run my adventure, use the diary with the gCLI... and get the red choice warning message. I'll try to copy-paste it next time I see it.

Darzil

Developer
You shouldn't need to use the diary with the CLi, as it should get autoused.

Definitely something odd going on if that isn't working either. I didn't notice this in my last run.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Just happened to me. The binder clip thing, that is.

Both the diary and binder clip are things that drop as a result of a choice adventure which we attempt to "use". The code in GenericRequest.abortIfInFightOrChoice (called by UseItemRequest.run):

Code:
		if ( !GenericRequest.choiceHandled && !ChoiceManager.canWalkAway() )
		{
			KoLmafia.updateDisplay( MafiaState.ERROR, "You are currently in a choice." );
			return true;
		}
You cannot walk away from the paper clip choice, so I assume that GenericRequest.choiceHandled is false, Looking at ChoiceManager, it sets choiceHandled to true just before it calls ChoiceManager.postChoice2. That is after results have been processed. So, if you are doing the "use boring binder clip" in processResults, choiceHandled is still false.

Move that into postChoice2 for choice 786/2: if you have a binder clip and McClusky file part 5, use the binder clip.

Regarding the diary, that is checked in ResultProcessor.gainItem, so it happens before choiceHandled is set to true. However, you get it as a result of taking a vacation - choice 793. ChoiceManager.setCanWalkAway specifically lists that as one you can walk away from. Therefore, it should have worked. Perhaps Theraze remembers seeing this from before revision 12540 on Sept 1, when I added that.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I seem to remember an issue with diary auto-use too. I'm not sure setCanWalkAway() is called correctly in preChoice() to actually do anything, but I haven't looked at that in a while.

Theraze

Nope, it definitely aborted on 9/14:
[1075] The Shore, Inc. Travel Agency
Encounter: Welcome to The Shore, Inc.
Took choice 793/3: Moxie Vacation
choice.php?whichchoice=793&option=3&pwd
You lose 3 Adventures
You spent 500 Meat
You acquire an item: your father's MacGuffin diary

diary.php?textversion=1
> ******************************************************************************************
> ******************************************************************************************
> Thankyou for using bumcheekcity's ascension script. Please report all bugs on the sourceforge page available in my profile with a copy+paste from the CLI of the problematic points, and your username. Ask on the thread on the kolmafia.us forum for help and assistance with the script, particularly first time problems, and issues setting it up.

Darzil

Developer
Hopefully autoCreate will now work when you get boring binder clip after 5th McClusky File, moved to postChoice2 as suggested by Veracity. 12650