Bang a gong, get it on....

wubbie

So I know that pushing new content ideas, scripts, solutions is a bad thing before the PTB want them published/leaked/spoiled.

That being said, I've worked out for my character some rough basic cli scripts to handle adventuring in bird form from the llama gongs to get the different feathers. How long before it would be appropriate to post them for review (not to mention the pointing and snickering my cli work usually gets)?

No I won't PM them to you.
No I haven't worked on mole or roach yet.
No I won't tell you how I did it, well not until its allowed to be discussed.

wubbie - I'm like a bird I tell ya...

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Getting items in bird form is pretty simple. I'm guessing that everyone that wants to know about it does, or could find out in 2 minutes from the wiki. It wouldn't really be any more spoilery than most of the default stuff that mafia does.

wubbie

While it might be "simple" there have not, as far as I have seen, been any posts of ash or cli to handle these adventures posted yet. People in the "know" can guess how I did it, but no one else has stepped in to the breach and posted the instructions. While I enjoyed using my basic understanding of things to get there on my own, not everyone else tinkers like I do. I'm a big boy and when I screw it up I blame no one but myself, the same can not be said of all end users.

I don't want to be the guy who makes the dev team mad posting how to do some adventures, when they don't want to automate that content in KolMafia yet. They might be working on an alternate way to handle the adventures and do not want to deal with people who then complain what I told them to do doesn't work right anymore and its all KolMafia's fault.

I've raised the ire of the dev team in the past, and I REALLY want to stay on their collective good side. KolMafia is far to valuable a tool for the community and I don't want to do something to mess that up.

And while KolMafia auto-handles Astral Mushrooms, there is not the same support for Tiny Bottles of Absinthe yet, where you set the option for the desired reward and it auto-adventures in the Wormwood.

wubbie - Maybe I'm being to cautious, but Veracity has that stick...

dangerpin

Veracity has been over the board and read everything (I assume that she read everything, she definitely responded to a few things) a couple of times since you first posted. My guess is that the stick will not be used. I don't speak for V or H, but if I were you I would go for it, I suspect you are in the clear.

In the case that you are not in the clear, you have definitely done due diligence in pre-posting and being patient.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Go for it.

I think KoLmafia should have (some sort of) support itself for the various adventures you can get from the Llama gongs. I've used the bird form, but haven't seen the need for special support, but if you have ideas which you've encapsulated in scripts, by all means - post them!

Ethelred

Something that would make me very happy is just to have combat buttons along the top for the bird form attacks. And while I'm airing my wish list, how about buttons for summoning your pasta ghost? I play most of my turns in the relay browser and really dread all the extra mousing I have to do for bird form and my daily spice ghost summoning as a pastamancer. Thanks for considering this.

wubbie

Yay no beatings with sticks :)

Its a series of cobbled cli commands that are totally inelegant, but 1 script per reward desired.
I am sure someone can make much more elegant ash...

My concern was at the time when I started this the choice adventures required for handing bird form were not in the prefs and it required hand editing to add the choices.

I just touched up one of the scripts, I figured out how to handle something "more better" than I had been so I need to mod the other scripts to be similar...

I'll be over in turn burning in a little bit.

wubbie

[quote author=Veracity link=topic=1862.msg8859#msg8859 date=1220322211]
Go for it.

I think KoLmafia should have (some sort of) support itself for the various adventures you can get from the Llama gongs. I've used the bird form, but haven't seen the need for special support, but if you have ideas which you've encapsulated in scripts, by all means - post them!
[/quote]

The problem I was thinking of was how to handle things in the ccs. I'm not sure what KolMafia does when you can't do something it says to do in the custom combat. Prolly just lack of initiative on my part. So I was trying to create the most efficient ways to use gongs. Figuring out how to change .ccs from the cli was fun :) The missing choice adventures took me a bit to ponder out. Then doing the research for what monsters were more likely to drop x bug to eat. I made a couple of scripts that failed miserably but I poked and prodded and now I can run 1 script and do a full pass of gong and get the prize I want at the end. Its a useful thing when I've done what I want to do and just need to burn a few extra turns quickly and productively.

The big difference with bird form is you aren't adventuring in its own location. You can go anywhere you want. All of the half-astral adventures are self contained, the wormwood is "self" contained. Bird form was fun to ponder and puzzle out. I'm not sure how to make it "more better" in how KolMafia handles it.

I'm sure someone can just write an ash, or already has, that does in 1 everything I do in several scripts. I just like the clean, easy for me to understand cli way...

wubbie - no one laughed at me yet... this is a good thing