Feature - Rejected Auto-Fuzzby

GValko

Would you kindly find it in your heart to have a setting that when sending kmails, they are automatically run through the Fuzzby first?

I know there isn't Fuzzby support yet, but this seems like a good idea.

Winterbay

Having just tested to send a message through the fuzzby I am inclined to wonder the same. It appears to me to be really really annoying to get messages like that all the time... (or at least they are really really difficult to read, I know what I sent and I still can't decode it...)

Bale

Minion
(or at least they are really really difficult to read, I know what I sent and I still can't decode it...)

Fuzzby can decode the messages for you automatically, but there isn't any benefit for doing it this way. I'll send you a message so you can see how fuzzby will handle the message reception.

Theraze

It seems like that just creates a great way to make it really easy to frustrate newbies in the future... this would probably better be served by scripts, not as a part of the main compiled code.

It seems like that just creates a great way to make it really easy to frustrate newbies in the future...

Agreed.

Not sure what the original request is for exactly. A way to read them? It's super easy to read received messages.... click the button.

For people that want/need an easier way to send messages (because finding Fuzzby in a big inventory can be a hassle, and typing /use fuzzby... well, some people just don't use chat...) I will be adding Fuzzby support as soon as possible to my kmail override (I'm actually done adding fuzzby, I'm just trying to figure out what it was I did to "fix" the ampersand issue, since I'm still having it)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The messages will be a pain to read for anyone that doesn't own a Fuzzby, since they don't get a KoL-provided button for that.

Winterbay

Fuzzby can decode the messages for you automatically, but there isn't any benefit for doing it this way. I'll send you a message so you can see how fuzzby will handle the message reception.

Thanks. My main hadn't opened the packages yet when I read it so had no button to decode things with, eh with which to decode things.

icon315

It would be much better if Fuzzby would actually translate the text word for word, however it doesn't. So this seems like it would be a spammy feature. If implemented it should have some sort of limit per day.

I updated the wiki page on Fuzzby. ( http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Fuzzby )
Would a feature request to have Fuzzy-made messages be configurably-automatically translated back into English be too much? (And would it be better in a new thread?)

The k-mail that fuzzby sends has the comment <!-- FUZZBISH( --> followed by the message body, followed by <!-- ) --> all inside of the message's <blockquote> tags.

Without a fuzzby, this would be nice for some people. With a fuzzby, the phrase is actually inside of the k-mail contained inside of hidden blockquotes, toggled by javascript.
Without a fuzzby, the phrase is not contained in the kmail, but the information i've outlined on the wiki page under the "More fun with Fuzzby" section is sufficient to translate from Fuzzby back to English perfectly, using only the one-letter and two-to-three letter maps, but in reverse.
One-letter map: http://ben.bloomroad.com/kol/fuzzby/fuzzby_1_map.txt
Two-to-three letter map: http://ben.bloomroad.com/kol/fuzzby/fuzzby_2_map.txt

From English to Fuzzby is also possible, but would require mafia using a rather large data file to map from the input to the output. You also can't tell the fuzzby to translate backwards from inputs not generated in-game.

You could use the information in that section to translate from English directly into Fuzzby (instead of using the substitutions that it does for special words), and then translating back from fuzzby to english would give a word-for-word translation. However, you wouldn't be able to mark the kmail as "fuzzbish" so a fuzzby wouldn't automatically pick it up to translate it back.

Last edited:
Then perhaps it'd be a better feature request if mafia detected if you had a fuzzby to translate for you, and if you didn't, inserted a "translate" link in the kmail in the same style that the game does, and then when you click it, translate the message?