ascensionChecklist.ash: Make sure you have the items for a painless run

tgetgel

Huh? What would a hardcore version of this do? You have no pulls in hardcore so I just don't understand the purpose.

Well, that does make sense and would well explain why one does not exist.:D Having not yet ascended I am trying to come up to speed on this kind of stuff.

Bale

Minion
Then what are you waiting for? Ascend! Doing it will teach you more about the game than any study.

I'll admit it is a little more complicated for softcore, but for hardcore, preparation is simple. Just make sure you have the following familiars into your terrarium: Angry Goat, Barrrnacle, Sabre-Toothed Lime, Levitating Potato, Baby Gravy Fairy, Blood-Faced Volleyball.

That's it. That's all the preparation you have to do for hardcore. Now go and enjoy it!

PS. What's your in-game name?

Last edited:

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Just make sure you have the following familiars into your terrarium: Angry Goat, Barrrnacle, Sabre-Toothed Lime, Levitating Potato, Baby Gravy Fairy, Blood-Faced Volleyball.
To be picky, I'd add Mosquito to that list. Yes, you have to have gotten the larva, but you are not required to have put it in your terrarium! The Star Starfish, however, is guaranteed to be in your terrarium.

I'd also suggest getting a Leprechaun, since it is useful in at least one place and is annoying to get in hardcore.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
So you either chose to run softcore for a while or hardcore for a while. The motivation for HC is the ascension gifts. What is the motivation to go back to SC except to SC perm everything or to play the lower levels using pulls?

The lower levels, or the entire run. The reason to play softcore is that you get pulls. If you're not interested in that, then maybe HC is the way to go for you. The main kol forum is probably a better place for this discussion though.

Bale

Minion
So you either chose to run softcore for a while or hardcore for a while. The motivation for HC is the ascension gifts. What is the motivation to go back to SC except to SC perm everything or to play the lower levels using pulls?
I'm not sure if it was clear to you that HC permed skills can be used in SC play, but I still agree with that assessment. The only reason to go SC is if you want to play with pulls.

To be picky, I'd add Mosquito to that list. Yes, you have to have gotten the larva, but you are not required to have put it in your terrarium!
That doesn't matter since you are guaranteed to get a new mosquito, right? Yeah, it is better to put it in your terrarium.

I'd also suggest getting a Leprechaun, since it is useful in at least one place and is annoying to get in hardcore.
Good point. The Leprechaun should be on the must have familiar list. It's certainly not hard to get after all and can be useful.

tgetgel

So, of the listed familiars (let's assume first ascension and these are all you had to choose from) which is best for a HC run, a BM run, and a SC run? Please justify your response.
Leprechaun, Mosquito, Angry Goat, Barrrnacle, Sabre-Toothed Lime, Levitating Potato, Baby Gravy Fairy, Blood-Faced Volleyball, Star Starfish?

Grotfang

Developer
So, of the listed familiars (let's assume first ascension and these are all you had to choose from) which is best for a HC run, a BM run, and a SC run? Please justify your response.
Leprechaun, Mosquito, Angry Goat, Barrrnacle, Sabre-Toothed Lime, Levitating Potato, Baby Gravy Fairy, Blood-Faced Volleyball, Star Starfish?

The depth you are asking for is a little silly given there is a forum devoted to this sort of discussion and this is not it.

As for the question. Volleyball. It gives you stats which makes you win faster. You don't have enough skills to need that much MP, leprechaun is ok in certain scenarios (so use it when needed), mozzie is not good - all it does is kill stuff, which you should be doing anyway, goat the same, potato blocks stuff, but can be avoided by using safer moxie, fairy - see leprechaun.

In BM you can get the volleyball quickly. In HC and SC you should already have it. However, you would want to have all of them and seriously... come on. Why not use whichever one suited your goals at any particular time? I know 90% runs are great and all, but for first ascensions just experiment a bit!

tgetgel

"Please justify your response"?

Sheesh.

I am just trying to understand your reasoning! If you like a flying gravy boat and someone else likes a submerged one, I would like to understand why so I can address the implications as to my character and style of play.

tgetgel

The depth you are asking for is a little silly given there is a forum devoted to this sort of discussion and this is not it.

As for the question. Volleyball. It gives you stats which makes you win faster. You don't have enough skills to need that much MP, leprechaun is ok in certain scenarios (so use it when needed), mozzie is not good - all it does is kill stuff, which you should be doing anyway, goat the same, potato blocks stuff, but can be avoided by using safer moxie, fairy - see leprechaun.

In BM you can get the volleyball quickly. In HC and SC you should already have it. However, you would want to have all of them and seriously... come on. Why not use whichever one suited your goals at any particular time? I know 90% runs are great and all, but for first ascensions just experiment a bit!

Thanks, Grotfang, for your response. I will look through those forums.