Ascend.ash: hands-off ascension script

dj_d

It doesn't, for basically the same reasons as the familiar discussion above: there are very few cases where you can definitively say "I want to maximize X". It's always, "well, I want to maximize ML, but I need enough +mox so I don't get killed".

So I don't think it's very useful. Why don't you start by proposing what exactly you would manage and how (e.g. "maximize muscle for the haunted bedroom when you're a mysticality class and have less than 5 MP remaining") and we can discuss if it's worth doing.

ubernuke

When I ran ascend.ash for the first time, it used my starting adventures normally, but when I ran out (but with completely empty organs) I get the error message:

Undefined reference to function 'eatdrink' (ascend.ash, line 62)

Restarting mafia and trying to run ascend.ash again gives the same error message.

Let me know if there's some other file that I need to attach for you to get enough info, thanks.

Grotfang

Developer
Are you using the latest versions? I think I am right in saying there was a period when the eatdrink function called in ascend.ash either had one more or one fewer parameters than the function itself as defined in EatDrink.ash.

I haven't ever actually used the script though, so I'm not 100% sure if that's been changed since I last read over it.

dj_d

You have to use the version of eatdrink.ash that's bundled with ascend.ash or you will see the above-mentioned problem.

nightslide

You have to use the version of eatdrink.ash that's bundled with ascend.ash or you will see the above-mentioned problem.

I'd updated EatDrink.ash, and then re-extracted the whole Ascend package again, and double checked to make sure it was the 'old' Sept 27, 2009 eatdrink.ash, but I'm still getting that error. Could you please let me know if I'm missing something else?

Thank you very much,

d

Xenthes

Try deleting eatdrink.ash from your scripts folder then extract the version from ascend.ash back into your scripts folder.

nightslide

Try deleting eatdrink.ash from your scripts folder then extract the version from ascend.ash back into your scripts folder.

Okay, I'd tried that before, but deleted them this time, and re-extracted the eatdrink.ash back to it, and still this error:
Undefined reference to function 'eatdrink' (Ascend.ash, line 62)

I did rename the folder from "to_zip" to "Ascend" but that shouldn't make a difference, would it?

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

d

kain

I just renamed the ascend version "ed.ash" and changed the include in ascend.ash to include "ed.ash"

My other non-ascending-right-now chars are using the up-to-date version.

So if we install the updated version, we'd have to reset the variables, right? And assuming I do all that correctly, will it mess up my run if I update mid-run?

Also another question that I'm sure has been covered before: I know we have to use the bundled versions of your scripts in the ascend.ash zip, but mafia keeps prompting me to update Z's zlib script ... do I have to use the bundled zlib or can I use his updated version?

codster62

I was testing this script out on a new character I made used only for ascending, and I am using ascend.ash. Anyways, it did all the things it usually does, except, when trying to level up, it doesn't work right. It says: X area will do less then 25% of your HP in damage, then will adventure in that area. In this case, it's the giant castle. I am getting crushed there. On the Levelup.ash script, I edited it to make it say:
setvar("levelup_acceptableDmgPercent", 10);

However, it seems like it is just ignoring it and instead searching for areas doing less then 25% of my HP. Can anybody help out?

Thanks

dj_d

codster, that's not how variables work. Read the zlib documentation for more info.

BSJ, I believe the latest zlib version works fine with this version of the scripts.

Bazaaretw

I was level 9 and it put on the pirate costume to adventure in the extreme slope for some reason, possibly to try to insult them with the book, but obviously this doesn't work, might want to look into that.

Also doing the gate opening one was requiring powdered organ, and I had 2 canoptic jar in the inv, but didn't use them. this could also be added for the gates.

Thanks for the awesome scripts.

dj_d

@baazaretw: I'll take a look. The gates are done by a mafia function, though, so I'd recommend the canopic jar change as a mafia feature request.

@codster: this is from the link you just sent.

• To see all of your current settings, type "zlib vars" in the CLI. To change a setting, type "zlib settingname = value". If you're adjusting threshold, you can use "up" or "down" as the value to adjust your threshold relatively. This is almost exactly as convenient as mafia settings (possibly more so since you don't need to open a text file to find setting names!).

Bazaaretw

I received this error this evening, I'm level 10 but I'm 5 mysticality under the airship, and it just looped this. My moxie was well over what I needed to adv tho.

Working on quest step Beanstalk.
Adventuring until you have 1 S.O.C.K.
Fantasy Airship is OK, as it will do <25% of your HP in damage if you get hit.
Fantasy Airship is OK, as it will do <25% of your HP in damage if you get hit.
Safe to adventure in Fantasy Airship. Will adjust MCD if needed and proceed.
Changing mcd to 7 for adventuring in Fantasy Airship.
Resetting mind control device...
Mind control device reset.

Visit to Beanstalk: Fantasy Airship in progress...
Your stats are too low for this location.

dj_d

Whoops, good find. Add this to the function "beanstalk" right above the line starting with "advItem":
MainStat(90);
I'll include the fix in the next update.

Last edited:
DJ - this script has been working great for me! Thank you so much for your hard work in putting this together.

I have one question regarding the eatdrink.ash part of all this. I have a tiny plastic sword in my inventory, yet I've only seen the script make one tps drink, and then it went back to pulling rolls in the hay. What do I need to do in order to make it craft and drink tps drinks?

Bazaaretw

DJ - this script has been working great for me! Thank you so much for your hard work in putting this together.

I have one question regarding the eatdrink.ash part of all this. I have a tiny plastic sword in my inventory, yet I've only seen the script make one tps drink, and then it went back to pulling rolls in the hay. What do I need to do in order to make it craft and drink tps drinks?

The base drink and the fruit, I assume it would do it if you had the mats in your invintory, but I doubt it would pull them during an ascension.