Ascend.ash: hands-off ascension script

dj_d

I thought about that. But there's a lot of reasons to want to use an abnormally large number of adventures or not (e.g. tomorrow might be a holiday; you may or may not care about the stat whose day it is) so I decided to leave it as a "manual" option. To use all your adventures that day, just fill up before running ascend.ash.

And note that while you're below level 6, it will burn all your adventures, because the faster you get to level 6 the better.

morgad

how to stop script visiting pool room?

level 11, doing mc guffin quest, have already beaten lord spookyraven (had to do it manually), but script will not stop visiting pool hall :-(

Any luck getting your father's diary and recovering the Holy MacGuffin? It's a pretty important whatchamacallit, so we'd appreciate it if you'd get on that right away.
Checking step #1, 'Toot'.
Checking step #2, 'Level2'.
Checking step #3, 'Mosquito'.
Checking step #4, 'Level3'.
Checking step #5, 'DoTavern'.
Checking step #6, 'Level4'.
Checking step #7, 'OpenGuild'.
Checking step #8, 'Meatcar'.
Checking step #9, 'Untinker'.
Checking step #10, 'Level5'.
Checking step #11, 'KnobEncrypt'.
Checking step #12, 'OpenKnob'.
Checking step #13, 'OpenLab'.
Checking step #14, 'GoblinKing'.
Checking step #15, 'Level6'.
Checking step #16, 'Friars'.
Checking step #17, 'Steel'.
Checking step #18, 'FindManor'.
Checking step #19, 'Library'.
Working on quest step Library.
Internal checkpoint created.
Using 1 handful of hand chalk...
You acquire an effect: Chalky Hand (duration: 5 Adventures)
Finished using 1 handful of hand chalk.
Taking off Staff of the Black Kettle...
Equipment changed.
Wielding pool cue...
Equipment changed.
Haunted Billiards Room is OK, as it will do <25% of your HP in damage if you get hit.
Haunted Billiards Room is OK, as it will do <25% of your HP in damage if you get hit.
Safe to adventure in Haunted Billiards Room. Will adjust MCD if needed and proceed.

Visit to Manor1: Haunted Billiards Room in progress...

[1317] Haunted Billiards Room
Encounter: Minnesota Incorporeals
Encounter: Broken
Encounter: A Hustle Here, a Hustle There

Safe to adventure in Haunted Billiards Room. Will adjust MCD if needed and proceed.
(had to hit 'stop' button at this point)

got 2/3rds of the bits for staff of ed ...

[1315] Hidden City (Smallish Temple)
Placing triangular stones into carving
Encounter: Protector Spectre
Round 0: morgad wins initiative!
Round 1: morgad casts WAVE OF SAUCE!
You acquire an item: ancient amulet
You acquire an item: spectre scepter
You gain 28 Strengthliness
You gain a Muscle point!
You gain 79 Enchantedness
You gain 25 Chutzpah

[1316] Hidden City

[1316] Summoning Chamber
Encounter: Lord Spookyraven
Round 0: morgad loses initiative!
Round 1: morgad casts POINT AT YOUR OPPONENT!
Round 2: morgad casts WAVE OF SAUCE!
You gain 26 hit points
You gain 25 Mana Points
You acquire an item: Eye of Ed
You acquire an item: Lord Spookyraven's ear trumpet
You gain 29 Strengthliness
You gain 60 Mysteriousness
You gain 48 Smarm
Casting Elemental Saucesphere on yourself 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Elemental Saucesphere (duration: 10 Adventures)
Elemental Saucesphere was successfully cast on yourself.
Casting Empathy of the Newt on yourself 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Empathy (duration: 10 Adventures)
Empathy of the Newt was successfully cast on yourself.
Casting Springy Fusilli 1 times...
You acquire an effect: Springy Fusilli (duration: 10 Adventures)
Springy Fusilli was successfully cast.

I have
Spookyraven ballroom key
Spookyraven gallery key
Spookyraven library key
(from relay broswer)

but they do not show up if I type 'inv' from the cli ...

any ideas?
have I screwed up somewhere?

updated mafia from 7652 to 7670 and problem went away, I will stop talking to myself now ;-)

Dave

Last edited:

codster62

Wow, I am having the same problem. It was working just fine, then all of the sudden, all it does now is adventure in the Pool Room... That is ALL it does besides eating and drinking. It did the same thing as the other guy.

hello

So, basically, I send the Mr. A and you reply with the password for the .zip? Then I enjoy the script?

morgad

it worked!

yay - my ascension finished off by ascend.ash in a week only 5 months after I started this run (real life probs got in way)

thanks to all the script authors involved :)

one missing file from the zip package though -
Working on quest step Aftercore.
goodnight.ash could not be found (dailygrind.ash, line 1)

or am I being stupid again?

Dave

seamer

Donated and recieved the relevant message from dj_d, thanks :)

--

Now that I'm watching everything work together, I do have one question...that can sound like 'how long is a piece of string?'

Typically what custom outfits/items do people use? I know I need a 'melee' outfit, which I've got as my meat/item rig (according to Mafia's modifier maximiser). Kinda feels like I'm doing it wrong

Last edited:

CKtheFat

My "melee" outfit is just my ordinary adventuring outfit, which I modify as I pull/acquire better items. For me, that's my +moxie gear.

In an unrelated note, I have a small suggestion. When I get to fighting the "Booty Crab" and am not at high enough of a level, it moves me back to leveling up. However, it still hasthe swashbuckling gear equipped as if you'd be adventuring against pirates.

Would it be useful to have the script revert to melee before running LevelUp.ash? In my scenario, the script puts on swashbuckling gear, goes to see if I can fight the crab, says I cannot, and sticks me on the Extreme Slope (though I'd be better off at the Icy Peak, and normally would level up there with my "melee" outfit's extra moxie.)

Last edited:

dj_d

CK - that's a very good point. Unfortunately, I don't have a multi who's ascending now, so I can't test any changes I make, and that's a tricky part of the code. It may take me a while to get to it.

CKtheFat

No worries; there are only a couple times this really makes a difference. The pirates and another time I don't even remember at the moment, so it certainly isn't something major.

uffda

when it comes time to do the pyramid, the last couple times its gotten stuck in a loop. it gives the pop up asking if i've used the carved wooden wheel or not, then it'll try adventuring in the pyramid and get "you can't adventure in that area" over and over until i abort.

it's simple to fix. just have to go in and visit the pyramid and get the "well you weren't expecting that" screen then the second time you visit you get the actual upper/middle chamber pyramid view and the script runs fine

morgad

are you using ver 2.0.6 of macguffin.ash? 2.0.7 contains a tweak to this part of the code, so might be worth a try (I have just updated my copy, but won't get back to this quest till the weekend to see if it works - I had same problem on last run, but thought it was caused by me running 2/3rds of quest by hand)

http://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?t=1965

Dave

Last edited:
dj_d, I'd have a feature request. Regarding familiar management, you said that "they're pretty easy to implement, but you're lazy, and just use the volleyball all the time".

I am currently trying to complete a fully automated Hardcore ascension using a combination of your script and the Hardcore Checklist. So far the biggest hurdle I found is actually the inability of the script to adapt to the situation at hand.

When in softcore, I can simply pull stuff, or waste away turns and get out of Ronin ASAP. I can pull the level 12 quest rewards, or the dictionary, and get a large amount of starting meat. This, though, can't be done in hardcore. Plus, in hardcore, one might want to switch to item-producing familiars (paradoxically, the Sandworm would be the best one for unattended ascension, as it produces spleen items without further intervention) or to +item%/+meat% ones, depending on the need.

That said, I guess you understand which feature I'd like: the ability of the script to recognize and change the familiar which is best suited for the job. You did it with Farm (even though it DOES have its flaws, basically working on the assumption that every piece of useless junk you put in the mall will be bought), I know you can do it with Ascend :D

codster62

If I may step in and say something, if you are creating this hardcore script, and YOU want a feature for it, I believe it is not his job to create it. ;) Also, you might want to make sure you have both DJ_D and Zarquon's permission for this. Remember, you can use there stuff with permission, but if you want a feature for YOUR script, you should create it. :)

Spiny

Codster, what are you on about?

Italian Hippie said he's using Ascend.ash and Hardcore checklist. He didn't say anything about writing them into a single script or changing anything in them himself. He merely requested a feature. He's just trying to use the scripts to automate his run and finds that ascend.ash doesn't handle on the fly situations the way he'd like. Personally I think this is expected behavior, as if I'm not mistaken, this script is not meant to be optimal, but merely get the job done. In short, if you want optimal on the fly changes, do the run manually ;) But that being said, nothing wrong with asking for a feature.

Spiny got my point perfectly. Unfortunately I'm pretty inept at scripting and too busy with this thrice-damned "real life" and "work" to learn in a reasonable amount of time. Also, dj_d stated in one of his posts that "it wouldn't be too hard to implement", so I thought I'd ask. Of course, if the situation was the one that codster described, I'd have asked for permission to both Zarqon and Dj_d.

I understand that this script is suboptimal (like any machine-made decision VS a human-made one, there's no way to give the program a way to recognize every possibility without making it 3 gig in size), but something that's been defined as "relatively easy to implement" could be a huge addon for this.

Base functionality could be a simple: "Choose between item drop familiar, meat drop familiar or statgain boost familiar", letting the player set these as variables in the VAR file under the Data directory. For "poor" players, they would be volleyball/sombrero, fairy and leprechaun, while for "richer" players they could be Sandworm/Bandersnatch and various fairychauns/fairyballs/volleychauns.