Ascend.ash: hands-off ascension script

Pazleysox

Something I've noticed about the Ascend.ash is that it doesn't pull my dayone items.

1 Mr. Accessory jr 2 dayone
1 v for vavalia mask 1 dayone
1 ice pick 1 dayone
1 wax lips 1 dayone
1 pilgrim shield 1 dayone

that's what I have for dayone items. The only thing that gets pulled is the 2 mr. a jr's.

Any help would be great.

-PazSox

dj_d

Nice loadout. :) This is an issue with pullcrap.ash, one of the scripts included with ascend.ash. The first thing that comes to mind is that you misspelled the V-mask in your post - if you did that in the actual .txt file, it might cause it to stop looking further for pulls. If not, then post the whole file as an attachment and I'll take a look.

Pazleysox

Nice loadout. :) This is an issue with pullcrap.ash, one of the scripts included with ascend.ash. The first thing that comes to mind is that you misspelled the V-mask in your post - if you did that in the actual .txt file, it might cause it to stop looking further for pulls. If not, then post the whole file as an attachment and I'll take a look.

I fixed the spelling. When I next ascend I will have to try again. Thanks for noticing that! And I must say that I absolutly LOVE this script!!

-Paz

...now if there was a way to get wossname.ash to start the war...

codster62

I have done no configuring, just ran the script. It is running fairly well! But, can someone please tell me what to configure, and how to do it? I feel a bit overwhelmed...

codster62

Also, when I try to equip the talisman o' nam, it said in the CLI, cannot equip outfit. I am re-running this now... Hmmm. It worked the second time around. And also when facing some spectre i had to buy bottles of alcohol to kill...

dj_d

Great! I'm glad it works as-is. Here are some of the things you might want to configure.
- eatdrink.ash should be set to eat appropriately for your budget. See that thread for information.
- pullcrap should be configured with the stuff you want to pull, particularly on day 1. See that thread for information.
- Tweak levelup.ash and the threshold variable (used in lots of Zarqon's scripts) so that you're adventuring within the safety zone you prefer (e.g. can't hit you, can sometimes hit you, etc).
- Make sure your healing HP/MP settings and moods are what you want them to be. You may want to tweak these manually once or twice over the course of an ascension. They're not managed by ascend.ash
- ascend.ash does NOT ensure that you can kill things. Nor does macguffin.ash, which handles the spectre. Make sure that you can automatically kill everything you come up against. This can be done with consult scripts (I highly recommend smartstasis), your CCS, and (when all else fails) keeping an eye on the script and interrupting it if it's about to get in trouble.

Pazleysox

I took out the dungeoneer's dungarees from the crap.txt file, but ascend.ash still trys to pull it after the level 8 quest is finished. The script aborts and says 'still need 1 more dungeoneer's dungarees'

any idea why this happens?

dj_d

Check your email dj_d :(
Strange - I sent you a PM ingame with the password the same day you sent the Mr. A. Since it sounds like you didn't get it, I just resent the password, and I will PM you here on the forum as well. Sorry for the delay.

codster62

Ok, I have recieved multiple errors. When I am doing the Macguffin quest, it gives errors that say in red,

Can not complete the X part of step, where X = Spookyraven, Or X = Can not get to Ed.

Please help me out with the problem. I am starting my Sophomore year in high school very soon and need this fixed so I can run it properly...

johngnash

Quest Loops

So twice today, once after finishing Goblin King Quest, and the other was before opening knobs knob, the script got stuck in a loop. It went something like:

Visit to Friars: Dark Elbow of the Woods in progress...

[409] Dark Elbow of the Woods
Encounter:
You can't get to that area yet.

Safe to adventure in Dark Elbow of the Woods. Will adjust MCD if needed and proceed.

MCD: unavailable

Visit to Friars: Dark Elbow of the Woods in progress...

It was easy to fix, The issue was stopping the script and talking to the Council. Then resume the script. Just a heads up about a bug I ran into today.

Last edited:

dj_d

Thanks! I've only found that to happen when Mafia and kol get in a state where the council is unavailable, something I see occasionally and can't repro. If you figure out how to reproduce the problem consistently, let me know; otherwise, restarting the script (or, worst case, logging out and back in again) always fixes the problem.

aphroguy

Minor platform-specific issue

Let me first say that I am so appreciative of the hard work that you and all of the other script-maintainers have put into this script and its associated scripts. Quite the bang-up job to be able to automate the process from beginning to end!

The only issue I've run across that hasn't already been addressed is a matter of the platform that KoLmafia, and thus, your scripts, is run on. I use KoLmafia in Linux, where the bash shell happens to be case-sensitive. As I understand it, the win32 shell is not. So where, in the Windows world, a program running in a win32 shell would have no problem finding levelup.ash while importing LevelUp.ash, Linux... yeah, not so much. The first time I noticed this (which I believe was with LevelUp.ash, although don't quote me on that) it was an easy fix.

Although the next time, the real head-scratcher, was when it was calling wossname.ash. I kept getting errors when it would get to the wossname section of the script, ASH errors, not just script errors. Looking at the wossname.ash file included with Ascend.ash, I was unable to find any problems. Took a few hours of scouring over the scripts to realize that Wossname.ash was actually being called. And I do, in fact, have Wossname.ash in scripts/Levels/Level 12/, and that's what KoLmafia found when searching for the capitalized Wossname.ash. Switching Ascend.ash's call to wossname.ash allowed it to use its own version and proceeded normally.

zarqon

I submitted a feature request a while ago for the "call" command to use matching, mostly eliminating the case-sensitivity issue with Linux. I suppose it's probably a pretty low priority for our beloved devs, but I think it would be pretty sweet given that there is a limited set of available scripts.

dj_d -- had a thought: perhaps if people ask you what they can do to get the Ascend password (other than what you actually said to do) you could assign them tasks on the KoLmafia wiki? Tell them task X is worth Y meat, and when they've earned the cost of a Mr. A, send them the password. Could be a nice deal for helping that wiki get fleshed out.

@Pazley: I think I may have solved the OCW war-starting bug in the latest version. That bug has been in the script since version 1.0!!!! And it's really a pretty glaring bug. Which is why I didn't even mention that I'd fixed it. Haha.

Last edited:
I’d be more then willing to work on the wiki, in fact, I’ve wanted to for some time now so I could familiarize myself with mafia’s abilities and ash commands. I just don’t know where to start or what exactly to do? It would be nice to have it all up to date and full of examples!

dj_d

That's a great idea, Z! Unfortunately, I barely have time to burn my turns these days, and my scripting todo list runneth over - I'm not going to be able to track that sort of thing. You should make a forthcoming script "wiki to play" and do that yourself. :)

HasteBro

Hmmm, I seem to be having problems with the macguffin quest:

Checking step #37, 'Macguffin'.
Working on quest step Macguffin.
Resetting mind control device...
Mind control device reset.
Black market found.
Diary obtained.
Oasis revealed.
Hidden city revealed.
Cellar revealed.
Palindome revealed.
Macguffin quest started.
Hidden city complete.
Pyramid revealed.
Dr. Awkward defeated.
Putting on Lord Spookyraven's spectacles...
Equipment changed.
You can't wear that outfit.
Unable to complete Spookyraven section of the MacGuffin quest.

It won't specifically fight the bosses (or sometimes it won't do the dusty bottles/pyramid wheel).

I checked the macguffin.ash script and the fight bosses boolean is true.

EDIT: After downloading the newer version of macguffin.ash, ascend.ash suddenly started finding this problem:

> call scripts\ASCENSION\Ascend\Ascend.ash

Function 'get_safemox' defined multiple times (LevelUp.ash, line 85)

And when I used the macguffin.ash directly it couldn't identify the wines (guess I'll post that on the macguffin.ash thread as well)

Last edited: