Any Chance Of A New .EXE Please?

matt.chugg

MAN what a pain in the ass! That worked great! Thanks! I can't believe I've been messing around with this idiotic problem for this length of time.

Again, thanks!

Great! welcome to the world of daily .jar builds

@minions, admins, mods

Someone with enough priveliges should make a sticky link to that, i'll host the file if neccesary, seems to work whenever this problem occurs, (twice so far but i'm sure it'll come up again!)

Maybe fewyn could (if he would like to, and isn't too busy) modify the actual daily build page to include some .jar execution trouble shooting if someone with better writing skills than me writes it!

Xploding Bill

Yeah, I used the jar builds for a LONG time until my old computer decided to go on permanent vacation. Good old XP - you could Frankenstein that system to run ANY damn thing.

Again, thanks to everyone for their help with this ridiculous problem.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
One moment...

assoc jar returns .jar-jarfile
ftype jarfile returns: jarfile=c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -jar "%1" %*

I understand the problem has been resolved. For software archaeologists I would like to note that on my system
Code:
C:\Users\Fronobulax>ftype jarfile
jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

which differs from what was posted in terms of where double quotes are. If it is not a copy/paste issue then that seems to point a finger somewhere.

xKiv

@fronabulax:

also, do you get for assoc jar and assoc .jar?
Because .jar-jarfile doesn't really say "run the command specified for ftype jarfile" ... unless I am sorely mistaken

Xploding Bill

Again, using this, I was able to direct the system to properly run jarfiles. It looks like something most likely registered itself to open jarfiles before I instaled java. At least, I can't think of any other way it could have happened. As I said, I had to rebuild a complete new system so I lost everything when my old mobo decided to melt down on me. If I had to take a guess, I'd bet on 7zip as that's usually one of the first programs I install on a new system but I could easily be mistaken.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
@fronabulax:

also, do you get for assoc jar and assoc .jar?
Because .jar-jarfile doesn't really say "run the command specified for ftype jarfile" ... unless I am sorely mistaken

Yes I did. Since the problem appeared to be solved I just wasn't thinking of reporting anything that was the same. Remember double clicking the jar has always worked on my system.

Theraze

Xploding Bill, could you repost your ftype jarfile? It's possible that in the failing installations, it's decided to install without using the quotes around the executable name, so it stops after C:\Program. Since it's working now, we should be able to see what's different and hopefully work based on that to more quickly speed people to working later. :)

Xploding Bill

Xploding Bill, could you repost your ftype jarfile? It's possible that in the failing installations, it's decided to install without using the quotes around the executable name, so it stops after C:\Program. Since it's working now, we should be able to see what's different and hopefully work based on that to more quickly speed people to working later. :)

Well since it's fixed, it's sort of a moot point but here ya go...

typing ftype jarfile at a command promt running as an administrator, I get the following:

jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1% %*

Also, if for some reason you're interested, assoc .jar returns:

.jar=jarfile

As far as I can see, what I linked to with the jarfix program was right. Some program snagged hold of the jar extension and didn't want to give it up. Someone may want to sticky this solution for anyone else who encounters this type of problem after switching from am older, more loved version of Windows (such as XP Pro Sp3) to the giant stinking pile that is Win 7. Actually, I just say that as I'm not used to this version yet. I refused to use anything other than DOS for years until win3.1.1 came out.

Theraze

So yes... looks like fronobulax had it right.

Bad:
jarfile=c:\program files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe -jar "%1" %*
Good:
jarfile="C:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1% %*

The bad version doesn't have the quotation marks around the application... the good version does. That's the fault of Java's installer, not KoL or Windows 7.

To fix this manually, you'd need to add the quotation marks, like this:
ftype jarfile = "C:\Program Files (x86)\java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

So, who do we know at Oracle to get this fixed for good :p

Regarding the thread title, is it about time we rolled out a new version anyway? Surely the recent change to the server configuration leaves a lot of non-daily users with non-functioning mafias.

Winterbay

Non-fucntioning I don't know, older versions work as well as long as you don't attempt to bypass the load balancer and choose a server other than www.kingdomofloathing.com. At least my test login on 9913 (oldest version I had in the folder) worked just fine now.

matt.chugg

Non-fucntioning I don't know, older versions work as well as long as you don't attempt to bypass the load balancer and choose a server other than www.kingdomofloathing.com. At least my test login on 9913 (oldest version I had in the folder) worked just fine now.

9901 in my folder, works fine. although there is something to be said for releasing an official version with the new HH content before it is removed?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
So, who do we know at Oracle to get this fixed for good :p
I don't think it is a Java problem, directly. I'm inclined towards the hypothesis that some other application "hijacked" the jar ext.

Regarding the thread title, is it about time we rolled out a new version anyway? Surely the recent change to the server configuration leaves a lot of non-daily users with non-functioning mafias.

The mafia users I know have not complained that it remains broken after the load balancing change. They could have updated to a newer build but it would be the first time they have done so without being prompted by mafia. Regardless, with an IOTM within a week, I suspect that a new release before then is unlikely.

Theraze

I don't think it is a Java problem, directly. I'm inclined towards the hypothesis that some other application "hijacked" the jar ext.
But the jar ext was the Oracle one, just without the quotation marks noting that the folder had spaces in the name.

What that means is that the Java setup program failed to realize that it needed to "protect" its filename. The extension wasn't hijacked, it was just missing the quotation marks... unless you're expecting another program to look at Java and say... "Hey, I know there's no real reason for me to do this, but it would be funny for me to break this other program just a tiny little bit by reading in their setup location and execution string and removing just the first two instances of quotation marks."

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
But the jar ext was the Oracle one, just without the quotation marks noting that the folder had spaces in the name.

What that means is that the Java setup program failed to realize that it needed to "protect" its filename. The extension wasn't hijacked, it was just missing the quotation marks... unless you're expecting another program to look at Java and say... "Hey, I know there's no real reason for me to do this, but it would be funny for me to break this other program just a tiny little bit by reading in their setup location and execution string and removing just the first two instances of quotation marks."

Philosophy difference. I think we all agree that something was installed, that was not Java, that did register the jar ext. After an unknown series of installs and uninstalls, Java ended up installing with an incorrect file association for a jar.

What we don't know is whether Oracle/Java has a bug in their installation process or whether the incorrect association is the result of a Windows bug or whether the first program to claim the jar ext did so in such a way as to violate the Windows standards that Oracle/Java assumed. You suggest that Oracle should fix their installation. I suggest that the program that hijacked the jar ext should be better behaved when seizing control of something that really isn't theirs. I could also make a case that Microsoft's way of handling spaces in path and file names is a culprit.

We know the symptom is a missing double quote but we differ in who we are going to blame and hope would fix it ;-)

Philosophy difference. I think we all agree that something was installed, that was not Java, that did register the jar ext. After an unknown series of installs and uninstalls, Java ended up installing with an incorrect file association for a jar.

What we don't know is whether Oracle/Java has a bug in their installation process or whether the incorrect association is the result of a Windows bug or whether the first program to claim the jar ext did so in such a way as to violate the Windows standards that Oracle/Java assumed. You suggest that Oracle should fix their installation. I suggest that the program that hijacked the jar ext should be better behaved when seizing control of something that really isn't theirs. I could also make a case that Microsoft's way of handling spaces in path and file names is a culprit.

We know the symptom is a missing double quote but we differ in who we are going to blame and hope would fix it ;-)

I must not be comprehending something... if a series of installs/uninstalls leaves you with the proper string short only the quotes, then wouldn't it be only the fault of the -last- thing to change the string? Like you said:
Java ended up installing with an incorrect file association for a jar
Which, in any scenario that I imagine, the only thing that would cause this would be the Java installer. I suppose it is possible that some other program would find it necessary/humorous to remove the quotes (like Theraze said) but it seems very unlikely to me.
Unless Windows automatically attempts to revert to a previous association when a current associate program is uninstalled, in which case it's Microsoft's fault, but I'm not aware that this is the case.

Theraze

Yeah... I don't think we all agree that multiple things are changing it. In my scenario, it was Java's installer (maybe relating to the 64-bit version, maybe 32-bit version) that screwed things up. There's not really anything else that should set the Jar extension to Java besides Java itself...

But anyways, without someone here actually working for Oracle, it's unlikely our talking is going to change anything. It just means next time someone gets this, watch for the quotation marks. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Yeah... I don't think we all agree that multiple things are changing it. In my scenario, it was Java's installer (maybe relating to the 64-bit version, maybe 32-bit version) that screwed things up. There's not really anything else that should set the Jar extension to Java besides Java itself...

Part of the reason we are having this conversation is that the installer has NOT screwed up on the thirty or so Windows 7 installations I have built and so there has to be another factor involved even if better minds than mine decide that the best place to address this issue is with the Java installer.

As for hijacking the jar extension, there are several archive and compression utilities that do exactly that and the little utility that fixes this problem was written because of that (according to the author's web page as filtered through my memory). So sh*t happens and I happen to think the biggest problem is that someone thought their archive and compression utility needed to work automagically for jar files on Windows.