Anti-mafia whining on G-D

zarqon

*shudders*

Saying the opposite of what you mean is either a lie, a joke, sarcasm, or ignorance. This apparent malapropism likely originated as sarcasm, but it's hard to deny that many use it in the last sense, and far more find it confusing, as the idiom is mostly only in use in the USA.

To avoid occupying further space on this tangent, I will link to further reading and have done.

Last edited:

shabob

It is neither joke nor sarcasm, not ignorance and certainly not a lie. It is a wonderful and, I must say, beautiful example of how this majestic titan of a language actually works.

The original phrasing, as stated with intelligence in the foregoing, was of course "I couldn't care less"; round about the mid-20thCentury CE (almost certainly something to do with the big bustup in Europe around that era) this began to be added to with varying degrees of wit and success, one of the more prominent verbose phrases was "I could care less [about this thing] but I don't see how"

As is all too often the way with such, this was itself quickly shortened, so that people, most often but not exclusively American, began using the phrase "I could care less".

Young people, as is their wont, hear the shortened phrase, think it nonsense and demand all others comply with their spectacularly limited worldview. Others mentally insert the appropriate phrase, luxuriate in the consternation so afflicting the young and marvel at their own equanimity.

zarqon

According to the previously-linked research, historically it is sarcasm. Presently, it's either sarcasm (where people mentally finish the phrase), or ignorance (the origin of idioms is often unknown). But my objection to the phrase is not historical, but pragmatic: it is unclear communication on an international forum. It's not in widespread use outside the USA, and even there, you've pointed out that it irks the young with their spectacularly limited worldviews, no doubt occasioning discussions far less civil than this one. Knowing its localized and irritative properties, appropriate uses for the phrase are severely limited when clear communication is the goal. Thus, my praise for an American who, given the choice between two forms of a colloquialism, refrained from the common sarcastic Americanism in favor of the non-sarcastic, internationally-used form.

Your post chose not to use a serial comma, an omission which is increasingly the standard but which I also oppose, due again to clarity of communication. Do I decry your omitted comma as a horrid debasement of English? No, it's perfectly valid. Would I wax complimentary if you'd used it? Again, probably not, because Oxford commas are still in widespread use internationally, so its use here would be nothing special. If, however, I was aware that you hail from Uncommia, where Oxford commas are seldom used, and yet you had written the phrase "Contributors include the devs, StDoodle, and Zarqon" instead of the confusing "Contributors include the devs, StDoodle and Zarqon" (which makes StDoodle and me seem to be the devs), then yes, yes I would have. Grammatically, I celebrate clarity. I do not luxuriate in consternation.

Last edited:

Fluxxdog

I bait people with it myself. When someone "corrects" me with "You mean you COULDN'T care less, right?" I reply, "No, I could care less and we wouldn't have had this conversation to begin with!"

Prepositions FTW ^^ And my context is correct as well.

Last edited:

Catch-22

Totally threadjacked by discussion on the semantics of idioms ;)

I second the motion for a KoLmafia WebUI.

For those of you who are visually impaired but would still like to take advantage of the benefits KoLmafia has to offer, currently my best suggestion would be for you to use KoLmafia in CLI mode coupled with the relay browser.

Erich

I could care less about English grammar.

But I don't.

I've come to the conclusion that trying to correct those who use "I could care less" is a complete waste of time, as the phrase has become an idiomatic grammatical atrocity akin to "I love you".

I've therefor decided that from this point forward, I'm going to conform with the growing trend of replacing the negation of a verb modified with an adverbial comparative in a modal clause with the mere idea that the negation should be there, and promptly assume that everyone will know exactly what I mean.

Por ejemplo: "If I were you, I wouldn't eat more of those rat poison-laced cookies left for the milkman." This statement should thusly be changed to: "If I were you, I would eat more of those rat poison-laced cookies left for the milkman."

Another example: "I shouldn't care more about her, because she fucked the milkman on my parent's bed", is corrected to become "I should care more about her, because she fucked the milkman on my parent's bed."

... fuckin' milkman.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Wait! Are you saying that you are a milkman who should be fucking right now, or are you saying that you should be fucking the milkman? I could care less about your answer which means I'm at least a little bit curious.