Feature Adding Display Case Shelves

GValko

As far as I know, there's no way to add display case shelves in the display case manager.

You're stuck using whatever was manually entered.

This is also slightly related to a bug that if you attempt to add a new shelf after the Museum Display interface is started in a session, that it won't track any new shelves until another session is started. If there's some way to actually refresh the case and shelves, it's fairly obfuscated.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I have a vague idea this came up before and there was either a good case against doing it or there was a fair amount of apathy. I also recall some attempts, possibly successful, to provide some functionality in a script. While waiting for my search skills to catch up with my memory, how, and how often, would you use such a feature?

The refresh issue my be a bug - to rephrase, you create a new shelf outside of mafia after the museum display window has been opened and no matter how many times you open and close the museum display, it never acknowledges the new shelf (until you log out and back in), correct?

GValko

I have a vague idea this came up before and there was either a good case against doing it or there was a fair amount of apathy. I also recall some attempts, possibly successful, to provide some functionality in a script. While waiting for my search skills to catch up with my memory, how, and how often, would you use such a feature?

Well adding/dropping shelves is probably the only thing that the museum display manager doesn't do. How often would I use it? I'm not really sure in my case, but it's still a pretty rare case of the basic functionality of the game not being emulated in Mafia while there's more advanced options aorund it. (The reordering of the shelves mainly)

The refresh issue my be a bug - to rephrase, you create a new shelf outside of mafia after the museum display window has been opened and no matter how many times you open and close the museum display, it never acknowledges the new shelf (until you log out and back in), correct?

Oh, it's either a bug or it's possibly a bad design choice. I should mention that this is true in the case of dropping shelves as well...opening/closing the window does nothing, nor does refreshing the session. Beyond that I'd be at a loss for what someone should be reasonably expected to do to get the thing's state to update.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I have a vague recollection that when the shelf ordering code was added to mafia, there was no equivalent functionality in pure KoL. If my recollection is correct that explains why the feature set is "incomplete".

I believe various DC info is cached and the reason mafia behaves as it does currently is that there is no way to detect that shelves have been manipulated without server hits. That might be worthy of reinvestigation.

matt.chugg

If there's some way to actually refresh the case and shelves, it's fairly obfuscated.

Enter my first EVER patch. Maybe.

This isn't an actual request for conclusion, more of a suggestion of a fix of sorts.

Update the cli "refresh" command to refresh display case.

I tested it in a local build, and it does refresh the dc, showing shelves that were created in the relay but since I have no clue what i'm doing here, its probably all sorts of wrong!

Attachments

• refresh-display.patch
    866 bytes · Views: 34

Darzil

Developer
Would be nice to have a refresh for this. I prefer the idea of just hitting the server for the museum updates, rather than for everything by logging out and in again.