Feature Add group monster size to proxy info

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Looks like it's pretty safe to say that if the attack message contains "(two|both|three) of them" then the monster plurality is 2+to_int(group(1) == "three").

xKiv, were those Saucegeyser messages on different characters? Seems odd that the damage to a duo was more than to a trio.

Not 3-to_int(group(1) == "both")? (Or are we talking about how many monsters the skill targets, as opposed to number of monsters?)

Theraze

Problem with yours as compared to his is that yours doesn't work when the message is "two" instead of "both"...

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I thought that when the message is "two", it's an indicator that there were more monsters that weren't affected (i.e. monster count > 2).

Theraze

Possible... not sure. I was thinking the differences was between skills mostly and the verbage they used, as opposed to how many total monsters are possible to be affected... if the swarm of scarab beetles is actually 4 entities or more, then your 3-check isn't accurate either though...

Where did you guys find this? I can't find a KoL wiki page for
Area of effect
nor for
Area-of-effect
though. Is there some sort of documentation anywhere, other than in this thread? I'm really curious now. Thanks.

Theraze

Certainly not exhaustive, but the Group Monster category is a decent place to start.
http://kol.coldfront.net/thekolwiki/index.php/Category:Group_Monsters

Summary from looking at game images...
2 monsters:
Family Jewels
Guy with a pitchfork, and his wife
Pygmy assault squad
War Hippy Dread Squad
Zombie waltzers

3 monsters:
Bunch of drunken rats

4 monsters:
Flock of Stab-bats
Swarm of scarab beetles

More than 4 monsters:
Irritating Series of Random Encounters - Says there's 30-40 of them
Swarm of fire ants - Shows 8 ants

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Possible... not sure. I was thinking the differences was between skills mostly and the verbage they used, as opposed to how many total monsters are possible to be affected... if the swarm of scarab beetles is actually 4 entities or more, then your 3-check isn't accurate either though...

vs. the one monster you listed as 3 in quantity:
"You summon a geyser of hot Alfredo Sauce, which erupts beneath three of them, dealing 2415 damage."
So that rules out the possibility of there being special wording for something with 3 max targets hitting three monsters.

Either way, I don't think there's anything yet that affects 4 or more monsters, is there?

Theraze

Doesn't rule out the possibility that one of the skills might have a trio of monsters or the like. The one thing I've found with KoL is that anytime we try to make hard and fast rules about what the admins will and won't code, they throw us a curveball, potentially just to screw with us and amuse themselves. :D

StDoodle

Minion
The one thing I've found with KoL is that anytime we try to make hard and fast rules about what the admins will and won't code, they throw us a curveball, potentially just to screw with us and amuse themselves. :D

This. Every time I think "well, there can't possibly be any future exception to this particular rule, I end up wrong!

zarqon

I'm curious: what about battlefield monsters? Is their plurality affected by sidequest completion, or only the number of them you kill at the end? Be a while before I'm able to check.

StDoodle

Minion
I never did hear the final word on if certain monsters were more / less likely on the battlefield based on sidequests, but I have seen evidence that monster X will always have quantity Y.

Bale

Minion
Oh wait. zarqon was asking if the number you kill at the end effects how many are in the fight? Neither! The sidequests determine how many additional monsters are killed by NPCs while you watch. The monster you fight never changes its plurality.

zarqon

I believe the idea of adding this info to proxy records has come up several times, but my search did not reveal an official feature request, so I'm making it here now that we have a fresh slew of new plural monsters.

I don't believe mafia currently knows about plural monsters, or group monsters as the Wiki calls them (arguably a better name).

Thus far, BatBrain has been loading a data file every time it runs, containing the following information, all taken from the Wiki (using the smallest possible number where the Wiki was vague, as in wordings like "two or more"):

• Bee Swarm 3
  • Bee Thoven 3
  • Beebee Gunners 3
  • Beebee Queue 2
  • Big Swarm of Ghuol Whelps 3
  • Big Wheelin' Twins 2
  • Bubblemint Twins 2
  • Bunch of Drunken Rats 3
  • Clan of Cave Bars 10
  • Cloud of Disembodied Whiskers 20
  • eXtreme Sports Orcs 2
  • Family Jewels 2
  • Family of Kobolds 3
  • Flock of seagulls 2
  • Flock of Stab-Bats 4
  • Giant Swarm of Ghuol Whelps 20
  • Group of cultists 3
  • Guy with a Pitchfork, and his Wife 2
  • Irritating Series of Random Encounters 20
  • Mad Bugbears 3
  • Mismatched Twins 2
  • Pygmy Assault Squad 2
  • Rag-tag band of survivors 4
  • School of Wizardfish 4
  • Swarm of Fire Ants 20
  • Swarm of fudgewasps 3
  • Swarm of Ghuol Whelps 15
  • Swarm of Killer Bees 6
  • Swarm of Knob Lice 20
  • swarm of lowercase As 6
  • Swarm of Scarab Beatles 4
  • Troll Twins 2
  • Twig and Berries 3
  • War Hippy Dread Squad 2
  • Zombie Waltzers 2

The Necbromancer's Horde is also listed as a group monster on the Wiki, but is not known to mafia. Which is fine, as that monster is unlikely to terrorize Loathing again.

A $monster.group or $monster.groupsize proxy record field would make this information more easily accessible, and is becoming more relevant as more such monsters exist.

Out of curiosity, how are these larger numbers spaded? Skills only affect a maximum of 3 and reveal no more than 4, with their "three of them" message.

When you are in a Zombie Slayer path and have both bear arms equipped, you can "bear hug" those monsters. This gives you the exact number, as they all join your horde as Zombies.

roippi

Developer
.groupsize sounds right.

This would need to be another data file since Mafia doesn't yet know about monster plurality.