Feature - Implemented Add "Adventure in next spot" link when adventuring in the Hidden City

Sarmatron

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this, but i think a link leading you to the next location in the hidden city grid would be helpful. Would this be hard to implement?

StDoodle

Minion
Moved to Bug Reports forum as feature request.

I've actually given this one some thought on occasion myself. The issue is, there would be a lot of text-processing overhead to make sure you can adventure in whatever space is considered the "next" after each adventure. Add in support for adventuring outside of mafia, and it gets fairly intensive.

There's probably a simpler way to handle it that I haven't thought of, though. ;)

Theraze

Calculating it should be easy-ish... Should just be visiting 1+ the next index_of '0' on the hidden city layout... if no '0' exists, don't populate the link.

StDoodle

Minion
Sure... easy if the player starts at the beginning and goes in the "correct" order. But it'd be kinda odd to be shown "no unvisited squares left" after the 1st adv. if you started in the "wrong" corner, wouldn't it? ;)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The hiddenCityLayout setting is updated as you visit each square with what you found there. I don't recall what we do when you visit the Hidden City map. Presumably, we could look at that, see which squares are explored, and update that setting with anything we didn't already know, which would accommodate explorations you might have made outside of KoLmafia or on another computer. That's exactly what we do now with the Tavern Cellar and the tavernLayout setting.

Visiting "next unexplored square" would simply find the next square with a "0" marker in that setting.

The tricky part would be figuring out where to put the "Adventure in Next Unexplored Square" link for combats, noncombats and altars.

StDoodle

Minion
Hmm... combats could just go below KoL's regular "Adventure Again" link, or perhaps in place of it, since if I recall that just bumps you back to the City container. Same for noncoms; altars, now that'd be tricky...

Theraze

If they're in a frame, it's because your GM scripts are doing it... at least, I've never had them broken out when I'm using my relay browser...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I'll probably look into this when I next ascend.

I'd consider changing the name of KoL's "Adventure Again" link to "Back to Hidden City Map" (since that's what it does - it takes you to the container) - and adding one or two links: "Adventure Again In This Square" - and making it really do that - and, if you have an unexplored square, "Explore A New Square", which goes to the next "0" in hiddenCityLayout.

slyz

Developer
If they're in a frame, it's because your GM scripts are doing it... at least, I've never had them broken out when I'm using my relay browser...
I disabled GM, and visited an Altar. I'm in aftercore, so I don't have the dropdown with items to put in, but the blue frame with the altar image and text appears in its own <table></table>, with the hidden city map in another table underneath.

"Frame" wasn't the correct technical term I guess. In any case, the map is visible when you click on an altar, for you too, right?

Theraze

I disabled GM, and visited an Altar. I'm in aftercore, so I don't have the dropdown with items to put in, but the blue frame with the altar image and text appears in its own <table></table>, with the hidden city map in another table underneath.

"Frame" wasn't the correct technical term I guess. In any case, the map is visible when you click on an altar, for you too, right?

Ah... yes, the map is displayed. The term "frame" made me think it was, well, a frame, like the charpane, top links, or chat. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9094 adds (up to) two links to the Results page (noncombat, or end of battle):

Adventure Again in These Ruins
Explore Some Unexplored Ruins

above

Go Back to the Hidden City