Feature - Implemented Add a row-break to "Drops:" in Daily Deeds

Ferdawoon

In Daily Deeds, I just realized that I have a lot of "a few times per day"-things that Mafia keep track of: Absinthe, agua, astral, pies, tokens, transponders, stomps, grease and folio.
To be able to see it all, I have to either maximize Mafia to fullscreen, or alter the ratio between other window which I have Session Results in which makes it a bit crammed.

So, long story short: I would like there to be some form of row break in the list of Drops in Daily Deeds.

A bit of an off-the-side question here: Is there a limit to how many times the Happy Medium can siphon spirits each day? Or a limit to how often it is successful (as in you cant get a successful siphon more often than you would get a drop from, say, a spleen item dropping familiar)? Is there a reason, other than good information, that Mafia track and display how many siphons that have been done today?

roippi

Developer
I experimented a while back with changing the layout of the daily deeds panel to something other than BoxLayout so that there could be automatic wrapping of stuff like that. Turns out that's way more trouble than its worth. We can just hardcode some logic to add a line break if you have more than ~4 or 5 drops visible.

Bale

Minion
A bit of an off-the-side question here: Is there a limit to how many times the Happy Medium can siphon spirits each day?

There is no hard cap on medium spirits. The only limit on number is that you cannot siphon if you run out of turns. Though that can add up a lot. You can siphon 20 blue drinks in 207 combats. However, if you are going for red drinks you'd only get 8 of them without a better diet.

Heck, why am I even answering that question. RTFW

Last edited:

Ferdawoon

I experimented a while back with changing the layout of the daily deeds panel to something other than BoxLayout so that there could be automatic wrapping of stuff like that. Turns out that's way more trouble than its worth. We can just hardcode some logic to add a line break if you have more than ~4 or 5 drops visible.

Awhh =(
I considered if it would work to put the highest drops first in the line, so that those with 5/5 drops were before those with 47% drops but was not really sure what that would accomplish. My thought was that then you could see those that were already maxed out easier, but then if they are in the back of the list and outside the borders of Mafia you would still see the ones with drops left available.
Soo.. Yeh.. Would kinda be pointless.
Oh well, cheers for replying =)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It looks like it would be trivial to add a horizontal scroll bar for those windows, and it could show up only when there's a reason for it to be there.

roippi

Developer
Awhh =(
I considered if it would work to put the highest drops first in the line, so that those with 5/5 drops were before those with 47% drops but was not really sure what that would accomplish. My thought was that then you could see those that were already maxed out easier, but then if they are in the back of the list and outside the borders of Mafia you would still see the ones with drops left available.
Soo.. Yeh.. Would kinda be pointless.
Oh well, cheers for replying =)

In my experience, when people are repeatedly presented with a list of things, their eye becomes trained to see it in that order. Reordering them would mostly just serve to confuse the eye.

It looks like it would be trivial to add a horizontal scroll bar for those windows, and it could show up only when there's a reason for it to be there.

I really really don't like horizontal scroll bars. I'd rather information get truncated than pollute my screen with those things :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I really really don't like horizontal scroll bars. I'd rather information get truncated than pollute my screen with those things :)

I'd rather have a horizontal scroll bar than to have information truncated without notice. That, of course, assumes the information actually has some value because otherwise the problem could be eliminated by being less verbose, right?

xKiv

Aside: would you (generic, or either of you) prefer horizontal scrolling, or automatical wrapping (if possible)?

roippi

Developer
Automatic wrapping would be nice, but like I said it will require a pretty fundamental rewrite of the panel. Seems not worth it for just this one line of text.

Fluxxdog

Automatic wrapping would be nice, but like I said it will require a pretty fundamental rewrite of the panel. Seems not worth it for just this one line of text.
Counter: This is the beginning of a potentially evolving problem. For example, we may end up having 12 more items that mimic Spooky Putty that are grouped together but have to have each tracked separately (even if that does seem violently unlikely). Fixing one line of text now fixes multiple lines in the future.

$1/50 ^^

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
11390 wraps it at 5 items per line.

I looked at using JTextArea briefly, since it has support for line wrapping. It adjusts the line wrap when you make the window larger, but not when you make it smaller, and that didn't seem like a good fix. I also would have spent a lot of time making the background color and font consistent with other areas (and even consistent within Daily Deeds), and I expect I would have run into system-dependent issues, so I stopped looking at that as a solution.