Wiki Updates (masochism?)

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Hrm interesting, the permissions should have been correct. I'll look into it later tonight.

StDoodle

Minion
Progress report:

We are no longer asking for visitors to "pardon our dust while we remodel." While there's still a good bit of work left, the facelift is fairly complete, and most of what I know has been added for ASH functions.

Lot's of RFI's are out that I could use help on; also, pretty much all of the regex stuff (on the string handling page) is beyond my abilities to describe well. Any help is appreciated. Again, if you don't want to mess with formatting, just add any info you can (pref. on the discussion page).

I'm about 90% of the way to figuring out collapsible menus; I plan to template-ize them for a couple of uses, such as an overall hierarchy to the program itself & for Sally's guide, so that the whole thing can for either one can be added to a page in one line, and be updated more easily. The indents don't look "perfect" (they seem too large on items w/o a collapse button, and too small on those with), but I think they're probably good enough; I don't want to completely rewrite all of the required javascript & css. ;) Please note that while I welcome bug reports on how these menus display in modern browsers, I have absolutely no intent on getting them to look good in IE < 7. You want that, figure it out yourself.

(To see what I'm talking about with the above, please go to: http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=User:StDoodle/FakeMain)

My original thoughts on using Sally's guide as the official reference for mafia itself are out the window. The organizational structure is just too different. I will probably link to it quite a bit, and probably crib a lot of information from it. But my goal is a complete, hierarchical reference to KoLmafia and all of its parts. Yeah, more masochism. ;)

Also, let me take this opportunity to:
1) Thank everyone who has helped with this, not least of which are the devs who made this wonderful program in the first place.
2) Beg Veracity to look over the MMG functions & my various RFI's on them. I really don't know how any of these work, and have no interest in the MMG. ;)
3) Beg JasonHarper to look over the regex stuff; he seems to have the fullest understanding, and is also one of the top-qualified wiki editors to boot.
4) Thank everyone AGAIN. Seriously, this has not been a small feat we've pulled off.

slyz

Developer
This is nice! And the indents are perfect (FF 3.6).

About the user guide, maybe it should link to the different sections (that will hold more information, I guess), instead of the other way around.

I think this was a nice introduction to regex, and the only ASH adaptation I can think of is escaping slashes and such in a string. I'll try and get the matcher functions started.

And thanks again to you (and heeheehee) for the complete revamp.

StDoodle

Minion
Re: User guide

That's the conclusion I've come to as well. The wiki pages will be more of a straightforward reference to what's available. The guide will be, well, a guide to using such functionality. The former will likely link to the latter quite a bit, but that does seem like the best way to go.

Re: regex

I'm comfortable enough to use it when I have to, but I don't think I'll ever be comfortable enough to write documentation for it. It just isn't my bag. Maybe if I end up doing a project where I make copious use of it, but that's not going to be for a while, at least.

Re: heeheehee

When I initially made him an admin on the wiki, it was because I was going to be too busy to pay attention to the wiki for a long time, and he was on the most. I simply wanted someone to keep an eye on spam & such who could deal with the problems that could (and did!) arrise. But it turns out he's done a lot more, and the wiki would be in nowhere near as good of shape if it wasn't for him and Bale (and a bit of jasonharper as well). Just adding my thanks for all the help everyone has given.

Also!

I'm going to begin tackling the rest of KoLmafia's documentation soon. Problem is, while I'm comfortable with the gCLI and most of the Adventuring tab / window, I don't really use much of the rest of the program (ok, Gear Changer too, and limited use of the Item Manager). I'm planning to outline everything I know, but there are going to be quite a few places where it would help if others could "fill in the blanks." Anyone willing to do so would be much appreciated.

I have a few general questions:

What does everyone think of how we should handle the CLI commands? Do they each need a page, or would a table listing their names, parameters, and descriptions be enough, along with a basic syntax guide? I'm leaning towards the table, as "help" is most of what you'd need to deal with CLI commands, vs. "ashref," which simply lists the command name & parameters, but I'm open to suggestions.

We desperately need a mafia "FAQ." (Er, apparently, heeheehee beat me to it! But it's now linked from the main page, and certainly could use additional info.)

When this phase is near completion, I think we'll be ready for "prime time." That is to say, all of the current links to the sourceforge manual should probably be changed to point to the wiki instead. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Bale

Minion
I wish to announce a small milestone in the wiki's development.

As of today there is a page for every single ash command. Yay! Not all of these pages are as detailed as we might like and many lack code samples, but the wiki finally has basic information on every ash command.

StDoodle

Minion
Big thanks to Bale for doing a significant portion of the last leg of this phase of this aspect of the journey. (Sorry, read a tautology joke today...) Seriously, though, thanks to everyone who's helped on this; it really is a big milestone.

But I'm not letting anyone sit and pat themselves on the back, oh no! ;)

Next up on the agenda: Preferences. As has come to light in another thread, there are a great many I'm not even aware of. I can't imagine how it is for the beginner.

As before, if the formatting is confusing, please just leave whatever tips you might have on the Talk Page. Formatting suggestions are also welcome.

After that -- free time willing (which it hasn't been for a while, but we'll see...) -- I'd like to start tackling a main user manual for the program itself. There's a lot of organizational stuff that needs to be thought out ahead of time, though; suggestions welcome.

StDoodle

Minion
Has something been changed on the wiki's server backend? It seems to be having issues with the CustomTitle extension, among other editing problems.

Spiny

I don't know about the wiki, but yesterday these forums were inaccessible for a while stating database error. Perhaps it's related.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Yes there was an entire server update yesterday, if there are any issues please contact me with more specifics.

(Upgraded from Debian Stable to Sid)

Bale

Minion
When I try to edit a page I get:

Set $wgShowExceptionDetails = true; at the bottom of LocalSettings.php to show detailed debugging information.

And if you view any function page you can see how the CustomTitle extension simply does nothing. The top of each page looks something like this:

My closet meat

{{#customtitle:my_closet_meat()|my_closet_meat()}}

Bale

Minion
I don't suppose it's possible that customTitle or one of it's settings simply got removed from LocalSettings.php?

slyz

Developer
I'd like to see a list of helpful user scripts, like the KoL Wiki's greasemonkey page.

I started a list in my user page, maybe it could be a good addition somewhere? I only put in there my personal favorites (mature, useful, working scripts - except maybe EatDrink that I don't use myself), more as a starters than anything. Maybe the script authors could be bugged into throwing in a short description too?

Bale

Minion
Okay. Good idea. I added it as a new page currently linked on the main page. Maybe it would be good to have a link from SinginSally's guide also. Note the restriction/guarantee I placed upon scripts linked from that page. I think that is necessary to make the page properly helpful.

Definitely need a little description for each script.

Maybe need a better title for the page than the one I used...

http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=Helpful_Scripts

Bale

Minion
fewyn,

There's a problem with the wiki. It seems that I no longer have permission to upload images. An attempt to upload an image fails with the message, "The upload directory (public) is not writable by the webserver." I suspect that was a side effect of changing servers, eh?

Please fix this at your convenience.​

Thank you,
Bale.