KolMafia Guide for Noobs.

StDoodle

Minion
Yup, tried a couple of different ways myself to add files, none worked. For reference, if you'd rather only a couple people could do file uploads, I'm happy to come up with a way to track & vet requests for such. (Actually, people could just post links to files that don't exist, and we could see a list of such in the Special pages; would just need to provide contact info for any file transfers.)

Good stuff. Sadly, I don't know much about wiki formatting. I guess I need to check up on it.

Is there any way to make sblocks? I really hate making people click to go to a new page for each section. It would be better if you could expand/condense each section. I could also put some more 'aside' comments in without cluttering up the guide.

StDoodle

Minion
As mentioned, I'm happy to help with any formatting issues. Didn't do too much on that since I wasn't sure what would work best. This stuff would probably be much easier to discuss in real-time, so I'd advise heading over to the #kolmafia IRC channel if possilbe. (If not, send me a PM on the forum & we can figure out some other method.)

Also, I have no idea what an "sblock" is... my google-fu is failing on that (unless you're referring to a category of the periodic table).

An sblock was a forum tag. Trying it out here....

[sblock]Hidden Cool Stuff[/sblock] (um yeah... maybe not so much here)

The idea was a way to expand and hide sections. I guess you just have to do it by adding multiple pages.

I cleaned up a bit of formatting but I do have a request. Can you please split the Post-Guide..the scripting one, into multiple pieces with a table of contents? Like you did the first part of the guide? That would really help. Thanks!

Bale

Minion
I cleaned up a bit of formatting but I do have a request. Can you please split the Post-Guide..the scripting one, into multiple pieces with a table of contents?
I'd be glad to do so, but could you be kind enough to name the parts? Unlike the first part of the guide you don't give titles to the different pieces. I'd like to know how you want to name them, rather than make up my own.

Wow, thats um... a pretty good point!

Guess I never really thought of that! I'd say split it into:

An Introduction to Scripting

Your first Script: Automatically Buff Yourself.

An Automatic mall-selling script for commonly farmed items.

Auto-buff script II: Buffbots and checking your status.

Implementing a Logout script: Overdrink, equip Turngainer items, libram, etc.

Creating an auto-adventure script.

Commonly used ash commands explanation

In Closing

Feel free to modify as desired. Ill then go back and make a better introduction for each section. Thanks man!

StDoodle

Minion
Sally;

Just to clarify where I'm at, I have a lot of gruntwork left to do on ash-related stuff, which is my first priority. I'm happy to help with setting up templates, 'cause I find that fun, but as far as the copy-paste stuff goes I'm going to leave that to others. (Please note I'm not offended, and in no way trying to tell anyone else what to do; just want to clarify that I have lots on my plate & won't be getting around to such tasks myself for quite some time.)

But like I said, I <3 templating, so please feel free to get a hold of me with any questions or desires as far as general formatting goes. I would highly recommend using some kind of real-time chat, though, as it requires a bit more back-and-forth than is easily managed on a forum.

StDoodle, if you get around to it, you are certainly free to mess with the formatting however you'd like. I don't really know what is possible and I trust your judgement. Im sure you will do a better job than me! :)

Bale

Minion
Split the Scripting for Dummies guide into multiple sections.

I'm not sure how to properly request that the original page be deleted, so please let me know how to get this deleted.

Last edited:

StDoodle

Minion
I'm not sure how to properly request that the original page be deleted, so please let me know how to get this deleted.

I have it added to my user sub-page for that purpose. There isn't a template for it, as it was easier to make a list for the most part.

I'm hoping to get mod power on the wiki soon so that I can clear up such things myself; just waiting on fewyn's life to get un-insane. ;)

Thanks to whoever broke up the scripting guide into several components! I started doing a bit of cleanup and will continue to do so periodically.

Bale

Minion
@SinginSally, I hope not to insult you, but the illustrations for this guide are somewhat grainy and the notes you added to images are sloppy. I'm hoping that I'll get the ability to upload images to the wiki soon and when I can I'd like better images to illustrate the guide.

Would you find it acceptable if I created all new illustrations using screenshots of my own character and photoshopped on the relevant comments? If not, then please take full quality screenshots for me to use. (Save as png so as to not lose quality.) Take a screenshot of every relevant page since I might make some new illustrations for other parts of the guide. I'd be glad to photoshop the words and ovals on to your new screenshots for you.

zarufan1

So how exactly do mood setups work? I load buffs and other information into moods, name them, then select them and hit "execute" (or whatever button it is) and then adventure? So if I make a mood that is set to cast Leash when I run out of the effect, whenever I automate turns and have that mood active, it will always try to cast Leash when I run out?

Bale

Minion
Yes.

Except that hitting "execute" is optional.

Automation of moods in the relay browser is off by default, but if you turn that on in preferences, then it will do it during relay browser adventuring also.

Last edited:
@SinginSally, I hope not to insult you, but the illustrations for this guide are somewhat grainy and the notes you added to images are sloppy. I'm hoping that I'll get the ability to upload images to the wiki soon and when I can I'd like better images to illustrate the guide.

Would you find it acceptable if I created all new illustrations using screenshots of my own character and photoshopped on the relevant comments? If not, then please take full quality screenshots for me to use. (Save as png so as to not lose quality.) Take a screenshot of every relevant page since I might make some new illustrations for other parts of the guide. I'd be glad to photoshop the words and ovals on to your new screenshots for you.

Absolutely! I took a screenshot, but even cropped to the essentials, I couldnt get it to the magical 70k maximum the forum would allow, without lowering the jpg quality to below 50 which is awful. I tried several formats with no luck. Because it was so crappy, I didn't try very hard to notate the pics until this was resolved.

If you could take screenshots and upload them to the wiki where appropriate that would be awesome and greatly appreciated! I think decent pictures would make the guide MUCH better.

Bale

Minion
Right now I'm just waiting on fewyn to fix image uploading on the wiki so that I can illustrate it.

icon315

What if we make small video clips to help people that are more visual out. I can help with that if it is needed