Bug - Not A Bug SVN: Connection refused by server

Lord_Kobel

I keep getting

svn: E175002: connection refused by the server
Unable to connect with repository at /p/[...]

whenever I try to update a script...

PeKaJe

Not a mafia bug, SourceForge is down. Only 4 out of 79 scripts are not hosted on SourceForge, and mafia itself also has its code repository there.

Connection refused by server

Updating all SVN projects...

I updated to the latest R16065, but I can't seem to run any scripts with this message.

Yendor

How do I get it to stop trying to contact the server? It's giving me an error message with every page load.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
How do I get it to stop trying to contact the server? It's giving me an error message with every page load.

Are you running Universal Recovery? If so look at the workaround discussed in the UR thread. Otherwise I look forward to more information because KoLmafia should only try and contact SourceForge at login, if you have checked the preference, or when you are explicitly dealing with Script Manager - neither one of which sounds like "every page load" to me.

Yendor

Okay, the problem seems to happen with ChIT. Disabling it stops the problem, and enabling it again brings it back.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Okay, the problem seems to happen with ChIT. Disabling it stops the problem, and enabling it again brings it back.

That would make sense since Bale likes to have his scripts check for the latest version hosted on SVN. But to be clear, this is a ChIT issue and not a KoLmafia bug.

Magus_Prime

It could also be a result of any between battle script that calls UR. Still not a KoLmafia issue. I worked around the problem by removing UR as my recovery script and let KoLmafia's native recovery do the job.

Theraze

Nope, it's CHIT having the same bad "svn update" call that ignores your personal settings and breaks when SF has issues. Just delete this line from charpane.ash and your problem should go away. Until the next time CHIT updates and SF goes down.
Code:
		result.append(sideCommand('svn update mafiachit'));

Edit: The following scripts all fail to respect the user's preferences and will all have the same issues while SF is down. To make them work, simply delete the line of the script that says "svn update" and then it should work.
Adventure Advisor
ChIT
EoD Ascension Checklist
OCD Inventory Control
Universal Recovery

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Nope, it's CHIT having the same bad "svn update" call that ignores your personal settings and breaks when SF has issues.

That is absolutely not true. Putting aside other scripts where I actually do that, it isn't true for ChIT. ChIT does not ingore any personal settings. In ChIT, if the user has an update brick, it will check if the revision has an available update and if it does, it will provide you a link to click on. If you don't want that option it is entirely at the users discretion and if you don't click the link it will not try to update itself.

Theraze

That is absolutely not true. Putting aside other scripts where I actually do that, it isn't true for ChIT. ChIT does not ingore any personal settings. In ChIT, if the user has an update brick, it will check if the revision has an available update and if it does, it will provide you a link to click on. If you don't want that option it is entirely at the users discretion and if you don't click the link it will not try to update itself.

Mixed truth.
True, you CAN opt out of the checks by setting chit.checkversion to false, but it defaults to true for any casual user.
False, in that you use svn_at_head("mafiachit") to check to see if the version is current, which hits the server, which means that it fails currently. Regardless of the whole svn update thing. Like so:
> ashq svn_at_head("mafiachit")

This means that to fix ChIT, you have two choices currently. The easiest way is simply to turn chit.checkversion to false. Alternatively, you can delete the entire ChIT update code that ignores your SVN preferences and uses its own:
Code:
	//Check for updates (once a day)
	if(vars["chit.checkversion"]=="true" && svn_exists("mafiachit")) {
		if(get_property("_svnUpdated") == "false" && !svn_at_head("mafiachit")) {
			if(get_property("_chitChecked") != "true")
				print("Character Info Toolbox has become outdated. It is recommended that you update it from SVN...", "red");
			bakeUpdate(svn_info("mafiachit").revision, "Revision ", svn_info("mafiachit").last_changed_rev);
			set_property("_chitChecked", "true");
		}
	}

Khari

I recognize that this is not a mafia bug, but I'm still confused about what to do. The link to sourceforge posted earlier in the thread - http://sourceforge.net/blog/category /sitestatus/ , only shows discussion dated December 2014 and earlier, and I can't find anything about a current problem, although I'm still getting these error messages

Validating repo...
Something went wrong while fetching svn directory info

Does anyone know the currrent status of the problem?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
We are discussing alternatives to Sourceforge here.
heeheehee has a link to Sourceforge's twitter feed.
That's all the info we have. It is pathetically sparse.

The good news: they have restored some of it - the project pages and the download pages.
The bad news: they have not restored any of the dev pages yet - the actual source repositories.

Bale

Minion
I'll disable CHiT

You can just copy/paste the following into the CLI:

Code:
zlib chit.checkversion = false

True, you CAN opt out of the checks by setting chit.checkversion to false, but it defaults to true for any casual user.
I should probably make the default value false or remove the feature altogether. It's a feature left over from Chez, but it is definitely much less relevant now that mafia has automatic updating. Honestly if someone wants auto-updating, they probably don't need ChIT to help them with it now.

Last edited:
Updating all SVN projects...
Ezandora-Guide-branches-Release is at HEAD (r258)
svn: E210003: connection refused by the server

Um. Maybe it should stop at one or two?

(this reminded me to turn off auto-update, at least)

Last edited: