New Theme and Bug Report forum

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Switched to reCaptcha for the captcha as people where complaining about not being able to read it.

Bale

Minion
Switched to reCaptcha for the captcha as people where complaining about not being able to read it.

These days anyone who can't read captcha, can't handle 80% of sites that require registration. I feel bad for their disability.

Bale

Minion
I've been thinking about the "need to register to download" issue. While I have no sympathy for people who cannot learn how to read Captcha, I don't think that registration should be necessary.

It doesn't harm this forum or its users at all if people download without registration. All you are doing is to add another hassle to make it possible. Yeah, it isn't hard to register. Yeah, it doesn't take long. Yeah, it doesn't hurt them. However, I know that whenever I have to register at a site for some simple service it is a hassle that annoys me.

Since it isn't bad for us, why require that people become annoyed?

Kakadesu

The issue of having capcha shouldn't be a problem. Bale is right, if people want access to this then they shouldn't whine about having to log in to get it. It's not like they are paying for it. It's a good excuse to bring them into the community and hell... They might get more involved. I'd have signed up for access if I didn't already have an account (which I signed up for to report a bug).... However my issue with the having to sign in to get it thing is that for some inexplicable reason (and apparently I am the ONLY one experiencing this) my account is broken to I am having to (still) reset my password most days (sometimes multiple times). Which means I am having to deal with the capcha daily.

Now I am glad you swapped to this version of capcha, the old one made my eyes hurt. But it's still a pain in the butt to deal with on the level I am having to. But I do think that it is good for registration. They also generally provide an audio snippet with capcha to help people who have trouble reading it anyway.

zarqon

@fewyn: So I'm going to have to go through a lot of posts and change tags, etc. I was wondering if you are going to set up tags in our bbcode. If so, I'll just leave them (I used them a LOT). Otherwise, ugh.

zarqon

Teletype text -- basically, it used a monospace font. Useful for quoting bits of code without making a separate block. i.e. the acquire command.

zarqon

Sounds good. A small complaint with the [ tt ] handling -- I think you made it equivalent to [ pre ], right? But that means any bbcode tags inside tt tags are not processed; not quite the right behavior. Things mostly look fine so this is a small complaint -- don't put it at the top of your list. :)

Bale

Minion
A picture is worth a couple of dozen words:

Feature-Bug.png

Go here and enjoy!