Feature Add group monster size to proxy info

StDoodle

Minion
Monster plurality

With the advent of Area-of-Effect bonuses for some spells, it would be very nice to easily access information on which monsters are "plural" for such purposes, and by how much.

Ideally, I would love to see something like int monster_qty( monster ) added as an ash function.

I fully understand that this could be difficult or at least tedious, and by no means am I trying to suggest it should be a high-priority, but would like to request it as a "when there's time" type of project.

Thanks!

StDoodle

Minion
Also also; does mafia know damage formulas at all? I ask because there's currently a very distinct lack of caring among the main spaders & wiki people regarding this subject. If mafia knows how much damage a spell should do, it would probably be possible to "auto-spade" monster quantity info based on actual damage done. Also, bumping in case zarqon wants to add a "+1 do want" note. ;)

Bale

Minion
I can't even find a page on the wiki that lists monster quantity. The only mention that I could find was your comment on Proposed Standards from February 6th. Without some spading this definitely cannot be added to KoLmafia.

StDoodle

Minion
That's why adding mafia-spading for this would be nifty. In fact, there are a couple of messages that only show when you have a spell do an "area of effect" bonus, so mafia doesn't even need to know the formulas. Not trying to say that this should be a high priority for the devs by any means, just... a possibility.

Bale

Minion
Tango of Terror also has AoE effect. It's really neat to use missletoe and tango a flock of stab bats to watch their ML plummet. :)

zarqon

I could probably add this spading to the action filter of BatBrain, given the plural monster messages. Then plural monster data could be gathered through relay play with the fight.php override.

Once the data exists, then adding plural monster information to the monster data files would be a very nice mafia feature.

Last edited:

zarqon

I added the monsters on the above-linked Wiki to pluralMonsters.txt on the Map Manager, with all values set to 2, since I didn't know just how plural they are.

There are other monsters that are "swarms", which are probably also plural:

Swarm of Country Bats
Swarm of Killer Bees
Swarm of Knob Lice
swarm of lowercase As

And some other groups which are probably also plural:

Group of cultists
Flock of seagulls

Probably not plural:

Giant Pair of Tweezers

That's what I could find with the handy "monsteref" alias looking for some plural keywords, but there are undoubtedly more.

StDoodle

Minion
I just hit aftercore, and I'm a PM with the necessary spells, so I can further refine those today.

Updates made. I went through and looked at every in-run location where IotM-related stuff and guild quest stuff wasn't required for access, so the "basic" areas should be covered.

The following I can't access, and would like to test:
War Frat Mobile Grill Unit
Rotund Duck (long shot, but could be as a joke)

Note I didn't actually test the swarm of lowercase As, but I think it's safe to assume they're the same as the bees.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Technically, can't you adventure at the farm even if you didn't do the sidequest? (granted, only 5 turns a day, but you can run away until you hit a rotund duck, I think?)

zarqon

Given the advent of proxy records for ASH's special data types, making this data accessible as

$monster[<name>].plurality => int

and

$skill[].plurality => int

seems the best way to do it. No separate ASH function(s) required. Default would be 1. For skills, the result would be the maximum number of monsters it can effect (so far, I haven't seen anything higher than 3). Skills that don't actually affect a monster could be either 0 or 1 -- 0 would provide more info, but 1 makes it easier to simply multiply the effects of any skill by its plurality. I'm fine with either.

Here's a link to the map we've started for monsters:

http://zachbardon.com/mafiatools/autoupdate.php?f=pluralMonsters&act=getmap

And if you care to add auto-spading, here are some of the special messages:

• You summon a Wave of (hot or cold) <Barbecue Sauce>, which rolls over two of them for X damage.
  • You summon a Storm of (hot or cold) <Steak Sauce>, which drenches two of them for X damage
  • It blasts both of them with <something>, dealing X damage. (Cannelloni Cannon)
  • In the process, you elbow two of them for X damage, and leave them reeling. (Disco Dance of Doom)
  • Tango of Terror and Electric Boogaloo have AsoE, but their messages are not on the Wiki.

I didn't see any messages there about affecting more than 2 monsters, but I'm fairly certain some skills can affect up to 3 monsters. (Confirmation anyone?)

xKiv

I didn't see any messages there about affecting more than 2 monsters, but I'm fairly certain some skills can affect up to 3 monsters. (Confirmation anyone?)

I can confirm Saucegeyser. Pastalord is almost definitely the same in this regard, but I have no idea about Fettucini and the hobopolis spells.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
More messages:

You bust an extremely adept disco move. Three of them sustains X damage, and looks very confused. (Disco Dance II: Electric Boogaloo)
It only takes one to tango like you do, because this particular tango is spooky... Three of them seems to be a little freaked out by it, and takes X damage. (Tango of Terror)

Unfortunately don't have a pastamancer, but I can test the hobo spells in a bit.

Edit: Pretty sure Hobo spellls aren't affected:

Code:
You call for backup, and three zombies emerge from the ground nearby.

You dance while a zombie punches your opponent in the face for X damage.

The punch is followed by a vicious high kick from the second zombie, dealing another X damage.

The third zombie shakes his head back and forth, grabs his crotch, then pushes your opponent into a nearby open grave, dealing X damage.

All testing done vs. Swarm of scarab beatles, which seem to be 4 entities.

double edit: zarqon, that map of yours lists Irritating Series of Random Encounters twice.

Last edited:

xKiv

Saucegeyser examples:

- You summon a geyser of hot Catsup, which erupts beneath three of them, dealing 636 damage. (ISoRE)
- You summon a geyser of hot Special Sauce, which erupts beneath both of them, dealing 876 damage. (zombie waltzers)

zarqon

Looks like it's pretty safe to say that if the attack message contains "(two|both|three) of them" then the monster plurality is 2+to_int(group(1) == "three").

xKiv, were those Saucegeyser messages on different characters? Seems odd that the damage to a duo was more than to a trio.

xKiv

It could have also been a CRITICAL. Criticaling a elementally-weak groupmonster packs punch :)