Rare Hunting Script

Seraphim

I'm in need of a script to run an experiment through KoL. I've been playing for awhile now and spend a lot of my time reading KoL forums. Some of you may remember that the ultra-rares Jick implemented have a few theories as to how to get them. One of the theories is time of day, which leads me here.

I use KoLMafia and need just a very simple script to adventure in a location of my choice (Spooky Forest, Friar's Gate, Sleezy Alley, Knob Treasury, Logging camp) by using one adventure every 60 seconds.

If anybody could whip something sexy up, I'd appreciate it ;)

Nightmist

Code:
//ASH file save with an file extension .ash
while( my_adventures() > 0)
{
 //Change the "*LocationHere* to either, "Spooky Forest", "Deep Fat Friar's Gate", "Sleazy Back Alley", "Knob Goblin Treasury", "Camp Logging Camp".
 adventure( 1, $location[*LocationHere*]);
 wait( 60);
}

Thats about it, although the accuracy wont be great since it will wait 60 sec AFTER it finishes the battle so wont be exactly 60 seconds since you have to factor in time for the adventure to start and finish. (About as accurate as I can think of though)

An alternative could be:

Code:
//ASH file save with a file extension of .ash
while( my_adventures() > 4)
{
adventure( 1, $location[spooky forest]);
wait( 60);
adventure( 1, $location[deep fat friar's gate]);
wait( 60);
adventure( 1, $location[sleazy back alley]);
wait( 60);
adventure( 1, $location[knob goblin treasury]);
wait( 60);
adventure( 1, $location[camp logging camp]);
wait( 60);
}

This, of course, assumes that you want to visit each location with a 1 minute interval between each.

If you wanted to visit each, and then wait one minute before repeating, remove all but the last wait statement.

macman104

[quote author=Sprinky link=topic=80.msg458#msg458 date=1145916656]
What does the script do for the Choice Adventures in the ultra-rare locations?
[/quote]That would be set by your choice options settings. They are unaffected by this script.

EyeTalon

When I try to run either of the scripts up above I get a script parsing error in line one. Is there something I need to do?

Nightmist

[quote author=EyeTalon link=topic=80.msg541#msg541 date=1146239030]
When I try to run either of the scripts up above I get a script parsing error in line one. Is there something I need to do?
[/quote]

Are you sure you have the 2 "/" at the start of the first line? (Because it works fine on mine)

Sako

Here's how I modified it, it's working, just save it as "whatever.ash".
Code:
void main()
{
 while(my_adventures() >= 5)
 {
  //adventure(1, $location[spooky forest]);
  adventure(1, $location[deep fat friar's gate]);
  adventure(1, $location[sleazy back alley]);
  adventure(1, $location[knob goblin treasury]);
  //adventure( 1, $location[camp logging camp]);
  wait(60);
 }
}
I commented the camp because I'm not Myst sign, and the forest because KoLmafia has some unsupported choice adventures, and gives an error.

EyeTalon

Have any of you had any luck with a script like this? I've never found any rare's before, but I've never tried something like this I would love anyone's input.

macman104

[quote author=EyeTalon link=topic=80.msg589#msg589 date=1146510830]
Have any of you had any luck with a script like this? I've never found any rare's before, but I've never tried something like this I would love anyone's input.
[/quote]I'll tell you right now, hunting for rares is a waste of time. Your free to use this script, but your better off investing in meat+ items and farming the peak or playing the market. The mechanics of Ultra-Rare drops are not know, and thusly its futile. You may get lucky, but they aren't called ultra-rares for no reason.

[quote author=macman104 link=topic=80.msg590#msg590 date=1146511632]
I'll tell you right now, hunting for rares is a waste of time.[/quote]
I'll second that opinion. There was one little flaw in the ultra-rare dropping code a long time ago that allowed someone to get three ultra-rares on three consecutive days before they noticed and changed the drop algorithm. Since then, nobody has been able to find any kind of system or pattern, and all ideas about how it works are pure speculation.

To the best of my knowledge, people who are actively hunting for ultra-rares (using a script or doing it manually) are pretty much exactly as likely to find one as people who are not hunting for ultra-rares and stumble upon them by accident.

Sako

[quote author=Bucket de Mowbray link=topic=80.msg591#msg591 date=1146512707]
To the best of my knowledge, people who are actively hunting for ultra-rares (using a script or doing it manually) are pretty much exactly as likely to find one as people who are not hunting for ultra-rares and stumble upon them by accident.
[/quote]
Still, a person who adventures ONLY in those locations might have a slightly better chance to get them. It can be a decent babysitting script for mid-level characters who still can't farm the peak...

.ash files are run through the Script menu in mafia.

As for just adventuring in the sleazy back alley:

Code:
//This is an ASH file, make sure it ends with .ash
while( my_adventures() > 0)
{
   adventure( 1, $location[sleazy back alley]);
   wait( 60);
}

That is all you need to do.

tedrock

i don't understand the 60 second wait? is that so you don't flood the server or get detected?
why not just make it keep adventuring over and over with no pause...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It's because it's generally believed that time of day is a factor in when you can find a "rare." Nobody outside of the dev team knows the granularity, but the idea is that the first person to adventure in the Sleazy Back Alley between 3:00 AM and 3:09 AM (for example; the time window changes each day, supposedly) with (unknown other factors) will get the Ultra-Rare encounter that is available in that location.

If you run all of your turns as fast as possible, you'll complete them all within a couple of minutes, and will have spent however many hundreds of adventures trying to get the item in just a few minutes.

Now, there are the unknown "other factors", and perhaps running multiple adventures quickly will help you vary those just as effectively as spacing out your adventures will help you vary the "window of opportunity" to get the Ultra-rare adventure.

Nobody knows.

Of course, Bashy's opinion on "Rare Hunting" is that you are more likely to obtain one by farming the Icy Peak, playing the Mall, and saving up to BUY one that somebody else found through dumb luck.

But, go right ahead and "farm", if you wish. Preferably in an area which yields other easily sellable items. :)

Schaafbros

I heard (on the chat) that you have better chances when you have had been on pvp for over a month and have not attacked anyone since you have broke it. Also you must never use any adventures and log in everyday. After the one month you must adventure and one of the areas and if it's the right one you fight an ultra-rare. If that is the case the it might run like the stange leafet. ???