r25720: You can no longer set a preferred browser for your relay browser - this is intentional

Status
Not open for further replies.

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
This change allows us to remove an outdated and unmaintained external library for a feature that has been built into java since 1.9 (i.e. launching your system's default web browser)

Make sure your desktop's default browser is set appropriately and you should be fine.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
One option if someone is having problems with their default browser in KoLmafia is that they might look into one of the many rules-based browser selectors like Choosy or various alternatives to choosy. You can easily set up a rule (in the rules-based ones) that sets the browser to Chrome for 127.0.0.1:60080 ...

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I used to specifically use Firefox for Kolmafia to use greasemonkey scripts... not sure if anyone still does that (mostly since I've personally long moved to things that are relay scripts)

Boesbert

Ever since this version (also newer versions) I cannot launch relay browser anymore...

edited to say this is on KDE with Java 11.0.11, and for all intents and purposes, fiddling with the system settings regarding default browsers did nothing. Should I file a bug report?

Last edited:

cameron

well that's... disappointing. is there no workaround for this? do i have to change my default browser before running kolmafia and then change it back? sounds like a nightmare.

"Make sure your desktop's default browser is set appropriately and you should be fine."
surely the whole point of that feature was for people who _didn't_ want to use their default browser...

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
well that's... disappointing. is there no workaround for this? do i have to change my default browser before running kolmafia and then change it back? sounds like a nightmare.

"Make sure your desktop's default browser is set appropriately and you should be fine."
surely the whole point of that feature was for people who _didn't_ want to use their default browser...
Yes, but it required unsupported code.

did this recommendation not work for,you?
One option if someone is having problems with their default browser in KoLmafia is that they might look into one of the many rules-based browser selectors like Choosy or various alternatives to choosy. You can easily set up a rule (in the rules-based ones) that sets the browser to Chrome for 127.0.0.1:60080 ...

cameron

huh. clearly failed my perception check as i missed your post.

tried BrowserSelect (the only free windows one that includes opera in that list) and it failed. windows didn't like it so switched default to edge.
back to the drawing board...

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Apparently Windows 11 (just released today) allows you to specify defaults per application. The implementation of that is apparently controversial, since it makes it harder to set global defaults away from Edge.

Can you say more about why you use a separate browser for Mafia? This feature dates back to the days when Greasemonkey scripts were popular but only really worked with Firefox. I'm not aware of any GM scripts for KoL that are still being actively maintained, and besides, largely compatible alternatives for other browsers like TamperMonkey and ViolentMonkey now exist.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Ever since this version (also newer versions) I cannot launch relay browser anymore...

edited to say this is on KDE with Java 11.0.11, and for all intents and purposes, fiddling with the system settings regarding default browsers did nothing. Should I file a bug report?
Apparently Java's Desktop.browse() functionality relies on Gnome libraries on Linux.

This StackOverflow post suggests installing libgnome or related packages. I can't give you more info without knowing which flavor of Linux you're running. (Kubuntu? Fedora? Arch?)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Just wanted to pipe up here to say this is a feature that I use and would like to see return.

Is this (below) not a workable solution for you?

If we understand what you are trying to do and why nothing else works that may improve our chances of coming up with an alternative. Thanks.

hamofmight

Nothing there, no. I'm a Kubuntu user and the only Linux option listed was abandonware for Arch. The only thing that I could find was the "Open in <X> browser" series of browser add-ons by Andy Portmen. I did a little testing, and it did at least seem to work, for the brief amount I used. I am just a little uneasy relying on it. While my Google-fu may have failed, it was the only solution I could find for my use case. My main browser is Firefox and my KoL browser is Chromium, and the particular extension I need has less than 150 users, so if the developer gets bored of keeping up with it I may get stranded hoping to find another solution that may not exist.

Granted, I'm not married to either browser. But I am kind of wedded to having KoL separate from my general web browsing.

I may be in the extreme minority and this will be a feature that never returns, and that will be okay, but felt it remiss of me to not speak up and let you know that there's a least one user that wants this feature.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
One option from poking around is to create a wrapper for your default browser that can, say, switch based on environment variables.

Then you just need to run `DEFAULT_BROWSER=chromium java -jar KoLmafia-12345.jar`.

Does that work for you? (Also note that as a Kubuntu user you'll need to have libgnome installed because Oracle doesn't seem to care that some Linux users don't use Gnome)

cameron

i like having all my kol stuff in one place. with tabs open to webpages i use a lot, eg buffy, NO calendar, and kolwiki pages. my main browser firefox invariably has several dozen tabs open at any time which is cumbersome and i have pruned it a bit but...
i had assumed that having opera launch in a different browser was a completely trivial thing. like a single line of code. which i guess shows my complete cluelessness about such things...
it has been observed that i use computers in weird ways...

gausie

D̰͕̝͚̤̥̙̐̇̑͗̒e͍͔͎͈͔ͥ̉̔̅́̈l̠̪̜͓̲ͧ̍̈́͛v̻̾ͤe͗̃ͥ̐̊ͬp̔͒ͪ
Staff member
Remember if you launch the relay browser you can always copy that URL and paste it into your browser of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.