Possible update to top menu (compact mode)?

holatuwol

Developer
After starting the game again, I've found that when I need to go some place, I want to click the 'main map' option, because navigating the main map feels faster than visually scanning lists.

I tried switching over to flat navigation (the style that's used in full mode), and I couldn't figure out how I'd navigate it any faster than I would navigate a map, gradually drilling down to where I need to go.

So, I was wondering ... am I the only one who feels this way, or is this only because I'm new to the game again?

dangerpin

All the main map items ( I can think of) are listed as links in the relay browser top menu. The only time I start from the main map is when it is a holiday (accessible from the main map) or if my top menu has not yet properly added the link (sometimes happens with the lair, when just opened). Otherwise I am never going to the main map.

Oh, one other exception. The Sea.

Then again, I don't use compact mode so maybe I am missing something.

Bale

Minion
Well, I use full mode because I'd rather choose from teeny-tiny links than a drop-down. There are however a couple of places I'd often like to choose from that are missing from the top menu that force me to drill down to them: Stalk, Manor, Knob and Sea. Of course Mr. Script adds two of the four already, but I'd prefer to be able to operate without Firefox.

If you want to check out a fully featured top-menu check out the greasemonkey script Mr. Script.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I notice that when I "use" the dinghy plans from the "use" link we create - either on the plans, if you have the planks first, or on the planks, if you have the plans first - KoL does not add the Island to the top menu.

I'll try "using" the plans from the Inventory page next time to see if that works. If not, it's a KoL bug with invoking them with CDM's ajax (and should thus be reproducable from chat), and I'll report it. Actually, I'll report it also if it fails the same way from the inventory page, but it's always good to have more information...

holatuwol

Developer
So going back to the initial question of, "Am I the only one who feels that finding a link is slow," the answer is "Once you get used to the interface, it won't feel all that slow compared to the main map."

Okay, thanks everyone. =)

Kirkpatrick

I notice that when I "use" the dinghy plans from the "use" link we create - either on the plans, if you have the planks first, or on the planks, if you have the plans first - KoL does not add the Island to the top menu.

I'll try "using" the plans from the Inventory page next time to see if that works. If not, it's a KoL bug with invoking them with CDM's ajax (and should thus be reproducable from chat), and I'll report it. Actually, I'll report it also if it fails the same way from the inventory page, but it's always good to have more information...

I've noticed this as well. "Using" the plans from the relay browser inventory does add the link to the top pane, in my experience.

To the original question: yeah, I find that going through the dropdowns is slow, which is the only reason I don't use compact mode. Once you get accustomed to the flat links again they're nice and quick :). I'll second the idea of Mr. Script, as well - I didn't use it for a long time, figuring that the relay browser would duplicate most of its functionality. When I tried it I found it's got a bunch of great features, especially its top pane stuff.

holatuwol

Developer
You know that preferred web browser setting in KoLmafia? That was an undocumented feature that I'd added back when I wanted to try out Greasemonkey scripts to see what functionality people were getting, and it was created so that I couldn't conveniently switch back to my default browser (imagine me saying, "Aha, you see, my computer loves me and loaded Safari/Opera again, I'll just not use Firefox..."), though it's now used more practically by other people.

Mr. Script was on the list of scripts I wanted to try out, but I axe'd the Greasemonkey emulation project when I decided that using Firefox was too painful. I did wind up installing the script briefly when there was a small feature fix that a clan mate needed, but I uninstalled it and stopped using Firefox after I finished writing the patch.

I can vaguely tolerate Firefox when I'm testing to make sure everything is compatible with it, but I can't really use it for an extended period of time, though trying it out so I can see what Mr. Script does is pretty tempting. =\ That said, if you can describe some of the features that make navigation easier, that would help me out!

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mr. Script lets you put arbitrary links into the top pane. This is done by having a 'more' link to change the bottom two rows between two sets to make space for more links. It's pre-filled with a link to Hagnk's, the bounty hunter, your guild store (it figures out the right one), the NO calendar, and other useful stuff. I consider KoL's mall link to be useless when I can jump straight to the search page or my store management page. (Both of those can be done through mafia's interface, but if you want to search for divine items, mafia turns 'divine ' (no quotes, with the space) into "Divine" (with quotes, without the space), meaning you can't use mafia to search for all of those. There are probably other things too.) I've customized the links too much to remember which ones I added and which other ones were there to begin with.

The other nice thing Mr. Script does with the top pane is that it lets you view the links and the quick skills menu simultaneously, which is probably the only reason I can use quick skills.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I, too, refuse to use Firefox: it's waaaay tooooo uuuugly.

I'm all for taking the good ideas from Greasemonkey scripts and incorporating them into the Relay Browser. We've done that with, at least, stationary combat buttons (although KoL itself now has the CAB, which some prefer), the last <n> visited locations, and the Battlefield Counter. Why not pull the best ideas from Mr. Script?

I think tweaking and improving the Relay Browser experience is a perfect way for you to rejoin the project, hola.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
I personally love Mr Script combined with Tard's scripts everything is great in relay browser for me.

This is what it looks like for me, and the inventory link is actually separated into 3 links. Depending on which part you click it will take you to one of the three inventory pages.

Attachments

• relay.PNG
    relay.PNG
    126.6 KB · Views: 75