Upgraded Computer New Screen Resolution Makes Mafia Almost Unuable

bombar

So I upgraded my computer and the new screen's default resolution is 3200x1800.

As you can see in the following image the entire window is now smaller then a dollar bill and is almost impossible to use.

image (1).jpg

I've played around with a bunch of settings but can never get it to get bigger if I expand the window all it does is add dead space not make things more readable.

If I choose to use OS look and feel half the items are a decent size and half the items are still super small.

Is there anyway to change around the font and size settings when using the
javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookandFeel or similar?

Crowther

That is an awesome problem!
I'll say. It's not easy getting a monitor over 1080 these days. I love my 1920x1200.

bombar, you didn't say what OS you are using. Mafia largely respects the OS look and feel, so it matters. Knowing nothing about how that works specifically to mafia or Java, I'd say you should raise your DPI setting or get a smaller dollar bill.

bombar

bombar, you didn't say what OS you are using. Mafia largely respects the OS look and feel, so it matters. Knowing nothing about how that works specifically to mafia or Java, I'd say you should raise your DPI setting or get a smaller dollar bill.

Using Windows 8.1, played around with things a bit, found the closest thing to DPI played with that a bit didn't have much change with the metal L&F. Windows L&F is better, but it has some of its own issue. Ended up since the time of this posting just dropping the resolution of the screen to 1920x1080 and reducing the DPI.

Got a chance to play around it a bit more tonight, and found that at what Windows 8.1 200% Text size and using default resolution that and Windows L&F things got better. However if appears that the various text areas in mafia aren't all created the same, some look great, other still look really small not quite sure why that's happening. For example the Session Results page is fine, but Location details is much smaller, also there is some weird spacing issues in consumable screens that have multiple lines per item. Also for some reason drop down boxes across most modules aren't sizing correctly for the text, the text is cut off.

But at least its kinda working which is fine for now, so thanks for your help.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I have a feeling that it would be pretty difficult for us to fix that without actually having a display with that resolution to check it out on.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
However if appears that the various text areas in mafia aren't all created the same

Given my inability to discern a standard that is always always used and enforced, that doesn't surprise me. It would be worth knowing which areas are different from which other areas although it is not clear how much dev motivation there will be to actually normalize things.

Crowther

I have a feeling that it would be pretty difficult for us to fix that without actually having a display with that resolution to check it out on.
It would be a hassle, but you could change the same setting he did. Things would be extra big and probably go off the screen, but it would still work for testing. I totally understand the lack of motivation. I hope someday high DPI monitors will be common, but that looks a long ways off. By then I probably won't be able to see well enough anyway.

roippi

Developer
I suspect that some areas where we display HTML probably scale differently (if at all) compared to natively rendered java text.

Doubt there's a clean way to address it. Certainly not without a dev being able to reproduce, at least.

4k Monitors are now pretty standard and I'm encountering this issue on my laptop with Windows 10. The window and specifically the CLI is too tiny to read even with the DPI settings at 300% (higher then windows standard 200%). I am guessing it is a rendering issue with Java not working with windows DPI settings properly.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I have been looking at this with no success. There is probably another thread with more of my comments. The problem is supposed to go away with Java 9. If you enable manifest overrides in the Windows registry and then put a manifest file in the Java installation directory you will have usable text and icons. I probably should post that workaround somewhere although it only works on Windows and requires an admin account or a lot of futzing.

I had a kludge that doubled the size of every font but that didn't help with icons and several components are not sized using the font size. The results were not pretty. Look and Feel really is not a player here and from a maintenance standpoint, the KoLmafia GUI is fragmented.

I keep going back to this but I don't want to rewrite the GUI and the manifest workaround is good enough for me...

Darzil

Developer
Yes, hopefully Java 9 will cover this, as rewriting interface elements would be tricky not to impact other systems. It should be up to Java to ensure that rendering is consistent across operating systems, that's pretty much the point of Java !

But for now, that manifest idea sounds great!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I just added https://kolmafia.us/showthread.php?24720-Request-Adjust-fonts-in-the-java-app as a 4k machine makes the capital letters less than 1mm tall. :)

Ubuntu 20.04 (yes, it's not officially out, I'm using the daily builds) with openjdk 11.0.6.

Any suggestions would be good.

Problem went away for me with a Java upgrade - maybe 8 to 9 - on Windows. So it is almost certainly your system and/or Java rather than mafia. My VM technology is VMware player. I tend to run an up to date version of Debian. I have never figured out how to make the VM use the hardware display in any fashion that makes it take advantage of the resolution. A VM that is 800x600 only uses 800x600 "real" pixels, if that makes sense. The only thing I have found that makes the VM usable is there are some system options to deal with visual impairments and somewhere in there I found an option to use a large font.

So I might experiment with non-Java apps and see if I could tweak the VM to make things usable. If those things change what mafia looks like then that will be about as far as I got.