Native Windows (x86) KoLmafia.exe

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Any tips on how to compile my own builds, so I can keep an up-to-date version?

It's possible that this applies, but normal prices are here (change to Standard version). Those prices are a bit high for individual use. If KoLmafia does meet the free version conditions (looks like it does), they may not want a bunch of people getting a free license for a single project.

Bale

Minion
The eval version of Excelsior JET is only good for 90 days and I'm not going to spend 2,000 dollars for a copy, so I'm content to leave this up to Catch-22 if he wants to keep using his incredibly expensive software on our behalf.

If KoLmafia does meet the free version conditions (looks like it does).

I missed that at first. Seems interesting, but they probably would only give a few copies at most.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
I saw something about being free for non-commercial projects, but I didn't read that part (yet), that's why I wasn't worried about the price.

dangerpin

Catch-22, how did you get it down to 10MB? Mine came out over 20MB.

I will be upgrading to Windows 8 in 90 days and figure I can reinstall then and get another 3 months even if we can't get free licenses.

Oh, if you want my fat version of the latest, it is here:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/kolmafia-11278

In rar format

Last edited:

Catch-22

Hey guys, good to see some familiar faces have decided to take this build for a spin.

dangerpin, JET does some voodoo Java optimizations somewhat akin to loop unwinding, these "optimizations" can lead to a fairly chunky file size, with little to no proven benefit. Toning down the aggressive optimizations will actually lead to a smaller file size.

Regarding the free version conditions, the sales representative I am in contact with at Excelsior has told me he would happily provide a professional license to the project if the project owners would display an Excelsior banner linking to the Excelsior website on the sourceforge project page and provide Excelsior builds as an official download option for Windows users. Given the fairly low interest in this build initially, I didn't mention it, but if there's enough interest then perhaps it's worth putting it forward to Holatuwol et al.

As for more frequent updates, I am still working on streamlining the build process and I do hope to automate the entire process including uploading/posting soonish. Once I'm comfortable with that process, I might be able to provide nightly builds. If anyone knows of a free, well-behaved file host with a good (I'd settle for existent) uploading API, please let me know :)

For those of you who are wondering, I've been away from my computer the past week. I should have a new build out within the next 12 hours or so (need sleep).

dangerpin

Thanks for the info, unfortunately my attempts to change the optimizations have led to an even bigger exe. 35MB this time. Maybe you would consider uploading your prj file so we can use the same mods you do.

I've iconized the (IMHO) more attractive limeglass.gif that was once used for exe builds. If you like it feel free to use it. I've attached it.

Attachments

• limeglassico.zip
    52 KB · Views: 75

Catch-22

Thanks for the info, unfortunately my attempts to change the optimizations have led to an even bigger exe. 35MB this time. Maybe you would consider uploading your prj file so we can use the same mods you do.

My prj won't quite be the same as yours, because the eval version actually has more stuff in it than std. In your prj file change the line that says -inline+ to -inline- and remove the lines -inlinelimit= and -inlinetolimit=. I noticed that was the most dramatic filesize reduction technique.

I've iconized the (IMHO) more attractive limeglass.gif that was once used for exe builds. If you like it feel free to use it. I've attached it.

I like the limeglass icon idea, but I couldn't get the one you posted to work for some reason. Hopefully the one I came up with for the build I'm about to post should suffice :)

Catch-22

The rounded edges are classy. Thanks for the update!

The icon I made looks better than what gets packaged (has multiple resolutions and transparency), it seems like Jet only uses the basic icon *shrug*

I've released r11314 today. I silently posted the last update, so I would encourage people who are using this build to use the update check script. From here on, I'll probably only reply to the thread if I'm replying to a post or if there's a significant change (eg. new runtimes).

holatuwol

Developer
Regarding the free version conditions, the sales representative I am in contact with at Excelsior has told me he would happily provide a professional license to the project if the project owners would display an Excelsior banner linking to the Excelsior website on the sourceforge project page and provide Excelsior builds as an official download option for Windows users.
I'm okay with doing this if there's interest in it. Just let me know the banner image I need to use and the page of the Excelsior website they'd like me to link to. You can loop me into the sales representative correspondence with my gmail account if they'd like to speak with me directly about anything else they need me to do. :)

Catch-22

r11330 released.

Hola, I'll shoot through an email when I get the chance :)

Edit: I tried to use "MediaFire Express" to upload the files, but I guess there's a reason it's still in beta. I'm uploading the runtimes again, but the files probably haven't changed since last time.

Last edited:

Catch-22

r11336 released. There was a patch for Jet which introduced an updated build profile. I've switched to that build profile, so there's an updated runtimes package.

Catch-22

r11371 has been released. This version was compiled with the professional version of Excelsior JET (big thanks to Hola). There were a few delays in porting my compile scripts over from the standard version, but here it is :)

You will probably need to download the runtimes again, as we're using a different version of JET.

dangerpin

Mediafire shows both files set to private and I cannot download. "This file is currently set to private. When a file is set to private by its owner only the owner of the file can access it. If you are the owner of the file please log into your account to access this file."

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Since Catch-22 is now using Professional JET would it be good to find a way to link this on our Daily Builds page?

Catch-22

Mediafire shows both files set to private and I cannot download.

Well, I set the files back to public again. I noticed sometimes files were being downloaded before I even posted them so I clicked "hide this file from public gallery pages", which apparently should be interpreted as "prevent this file from being downloaded by anyone".

Since Catch-22 is now using Professional JET would it be good to find a way to link this on our Daily Builds page?

I plan on getting in touch with Fewyn about this soon, including potentially hosting the file on kolmafia.us. I'm not sure how much upstream bandwidth he has to play with though.

Catch-22

Okay thanks to the efforts of Holatuwol, there is now a special section on sourceforge specifically for the JET build. Probably the most important thing to note other than the new download host is I have changed the update checking ASH script, it checks sourceforge now instead of the forums. I will be editing the post sporadically for a little while in order to give the people who are using the old update checking script some time to transition, but eventually the original post will have current revision information removed altogether.

Aside from a few more tweaks to my build scripts, the process is pretty much completely automatic. I haven't scheduled the scripts for a specific time yet, but once I do it's likely to be built once every 24 hours.

If you have any issues with the JET build specifically (ie. a bug that occurs in the JET build but not the JAR build), please let me know in this thread. Big thanks to Excelsior and Holatuwol for making this all possible :)