BatBrain -- a central nervous system for consult scripts

xKiv

If I read that right, then the proton thingy could be considered to be "+0 damage against ghosts" and not something new. I hadn't realized ghosts were not all physically immune.

Isn't it already +25 damage against ghosts?

Depends what you consider to be a boss. Protector Spectre, Unknown <class>, Mayor Ghost... But yeah, probably.

Hidden city protectors (all 4 spirits and the spectre) at least drop 1 psycho blob on defeat (but the shoot/trap skills are not available).
I didn't check if my normal attack hurt them "physically", because I normally kill them with the associated bonus elemental damage ...

Crowther

Isn't it already +25 damage against ghosts?
My fault for that sidetrack.
Hidden city protectors (all 4 spirits and the spectre) at least drop 1 psycho blob on defeat (but the shoot/trap skills are not available).
I believe Elizabeth is a boss ghost as well. I know she can't be copied (which isn't exactly the same). I didn't look for shot/trap.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Elizabeth dropped a blob today. It did not occur to me to look for shoot/trap; I thought those were only for the "paranormal activity detected" ghosts, which have a special drop obtainable only after you trap them. In any case, I do not recall seeing a "shoot ghost" Stationary Button appearing when I fought her. I probably would have tried it, had I seen it.

xKiv

It did not occur to me to look for shoot/trap; I thought those were only for the "paranormal activity detected" ghosts, which have a special drop obtainable only after you trap them.

You can shoot/trap all peek-a-boo ghosts. It's (at least) +80 xp per run ;)
(the button already appears on them)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I always go after the paranormal activity ghosts if they appear in an area I have opened; in NA, what with all the NPCs gone missing, I'm not going to go search for an item to open Madness Bakery or the Overgrown Lot. (The bone with a price tag tends to drop naturally while opening Cobb's Knob).

The button is automatically created when we notice an equipment-conditional skill in the Use Skill dropdown on the Fight page. Darzil did that. He's done great work on Stationary Buttons.

Now for something that is completely the opposite of my earlier problem with Beanstorm: BatBrain doesn't appear to know that Furious Wallop is limited by your fury. Not sure how long this has been happening, and I don't know how much of a difference it actually makes since WHAM immediately recalculates anyways. I guess it's one extra server hit per fight where you have less fury than it wants to use?

Crowther

Someone mentioned a while back that they saw problems at the Fun-Guy Mansion. I was fishing there today and saw things not working right. Specifically, the mushroom I was fighting listed "ice cream" as a turn-off, but WHAM used nothing but cold based attacks. Batfactors.ash is coded to recognize "ice cream" and set cold resistance to 1 (100%). I see nothing wrong with that code.
Code:
Turn-Ons: sunbathing, world peace, mold
Turn-Offs: pool sharks, ice cream, welts, phantoms
WHAM: We are going to 2-shot with Northern Explosion and Northern Explosion.
Round 3: Crowther executes a macro!
Round 3: Crowther casts NORTHERN EXPLOSION!
Round 4: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 2 damage.
Round 4: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 1 damage.
Round 4: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 1 damage.
Round 4: You lose 6 hit points
Round 4: Crowther casts NORTHERN EXPLOSION!
Round 5: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 2 damage.
Round 5: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 1 damage.
Round 5: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 2 damage.
WHAM: Northern Explosion: 196.79 potential damage (raw damage: 196.79) and a hitchance of 100.00%.
I don't have time to look deeper, but wanted to record what I saw here.

EDIT:
A similar problem with cold and spooky.
Code:
Turn-Ons: beaches, unicorns, volleyball
Turn-Offs: pool sharks, slingshots, liquid nitrogen, minions, rattling chains
WHAM: We are going to 2-shot with Fearful Fettucini and Saucegeyser.
Round 5: Crowther executes a macro!
Round 5: Crowther casts FEARFUL FETTUCINI!
Round 6: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 2 damage.
Round 6: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 3 damage.
Round 6: You lose 13 hit points
Round 6: Crowther casts SAUCEGEYSER!
Round 7: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 2 damage.
Round 7: Fun-Guy Playmate takes 3 damage.
Round 7: You lose 13 hit points

Last edited:

Crowther

Okay, so the problem with elemental resistance is that these monsters start off weak (-1) to spooky and cold. If the have a turn-off to those, it adds 1, which brings it to 0 instead of 1. I changed the response to these turn-off to
Code:
setmatt("res","2 cold"); break;
, etc. This seemed to fix the first problem, but now it is casting "Harpoon!" and not doing damage against some other monsters. I'm not sure how spellres works and I'm not sure if Harpoon is was or is now a spell. Sorry for the quick explanation. I didn't expect to get this much time today.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Harpoon isn't a spell. You can confirm these things by a) running +spell% and b) fighting a monster that reflects spells (weirdeaux mob is pretty accessible). There are some weird cases where some source of damage counts as a spell but isn't affected by +spell% (off the top of my head, the reflect damage from sauceshell).

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Also, uh, beer golem I think blocks spells with high probability? But that probably only works on things modified by +spell%

zarqon

World event note: I've added the tentacles' resistance/damage cap/stun immunity to batfactors, so the tentacles should be handled much better by BatBrain-powered scripts. Unfortunately I'm in my very first NA run and don't have access to all my flareguns, and I also don't feel like dropping the path just to participate because I want my bobblehead. Hopefully it lasts for several days longer.

Also, does anyone know why chatty pirates are marked as "nostun" in batfactors? They seemed to stun just fine.

Also also, I added some placeholders for most of the NA skills (though only one of the starting skills). I guarantee that the damage formulae are not correct, but it's closer than nothing.

Also also also, thanks for debugging that Fun-Guy issue Crowther. I've made the fix you suggested to BatBrain.

Also*4, I just added a boolean parameter reloadbatfactors to BatBrain's main(), so if you're editing batfactors and want to force BatBrain to use your new edits, simply run BatBrain by itself with the parameter set to true. That's even easier than any of the methods described thus far. :)

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Thanks for tentacle data.
also^1: I think the chatty pirate thing is just an error.
also^2: Approximate formulae are much better than none.
also^3: Kudos to Crowther.
also^4: Oh thank goodness. When testing batfactor changes I've been adding and sometimes deleting string tempload; to the top of batfactors for far too long.

zarqon

State of the Zarqon

Graggghhh I missed getting the Aide Pin by one day. My multis got it but not my main. I even flaregunned some 20 tentacles after freeing the King before I realized I was just wasting flareguns. Blah.

I had bad luck overall in this run though -- as an example, I got 12 frat warrior outfit pieces before I got the beer helmet (something like 50 turns all told).

My favorite thing about Nuclear Autumn was Ed. He mutated into something like 5 totally different forms as I fought him. Haha!

Also BatBrain really reduces the tweakiness of Nuclear Autumn. You keep getting weaker but the script adapts. Yay for scripts being useful. Although now that my first NA run is done that will be less of an issue.

I'm going to stick around in aftercore till the event is over, but then will be jumping into NA again, so handling for the remaining class skills shouldn't be too far away. As usual, more accurate formulas can be added by anyone if they are unhappy with my, shall we say, comfortable pace. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I got 12 frat warrior outfit pieces before I got the beer helmet (something like 50 turns all told).
This is why I like Yellow Rays (from my Crimbo Shrub, these days):

Hippy Outfit on day 1 or 2
Frat Warrior outfit on day 3 or 4.

I am sure that more optimal ascenders do this differently - and Normal ascenders probably just ignore the first outfit and pull the second one - but MY life is easy with this scheme.

I wonder when this event will be over. I have 2 more HC NA runs to finish (or at least start) before it goes out of style, in order to fully upgrade my bobblehead. Although, I've heard rumors you will be able to upgrade (if not obtain) one in subsequent runs. Rumors, but no official confirmation, hence my desire to finish up sooner.

My cynical expectation is that the event will climax on Tuesday, to align with the horror of the 2016 US election. But I'm probably overthinking that. :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I wonder when this event will be over. I have 2 more HC NA runs to finish (or at least start) before it goes out of style, in order to fully upgrade my bobblehead. Although, I've heard rumors you will be able to upgrade (if not obtain) one in subsequent runs. Rumors, but no official confirmation, hence my desire to finish up sooner.

First question in this radio show transcript.

Although, you can't Calculate the Universe in Nuclear Autumn, right?
Right.