Page 145 of 196 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 143 144 145 146 147 155 195 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1960

Thread: Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

What is the power of your open hands? It was without weapons I mean.
    Also, I'll probably soon commit a version of WHAM_beta which has support for Jick's psycosis because I got tired of it doing completely stupid choices. Now it does completely stupid choices a lot less...
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit
    Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Scripts maintained by me:
    Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:
    Wife: Honey, please go to the market and buy 1 bottle of milk. If they have eggs, bring 6.
    The man came back with 6 bottles of milk.
    Wife: Why did you buy 6 bottles of milk.
    Man: Because they had eggs...

The 6 Stages of Debugging: 1 )That can't happen. 2) That shouldn't happen. 3) Hmmm, weird. 4) Why does that happen? 5) Oh, I see. 6 )How did that ever work?

All programs can be optimized, and all programs have bugs; therefore all programs can be optimized to one line that doesn’t work. /Bob Fitch, Blizzard

What is the power of your open hands? It was without weapons I mean.
    Originally Posted by Winterbay View Post
    AFAIK, open hands do only 1-2 base damage even if they hit normally (it's one of the tricks in the melee strategy to ensure a pristine eye from mother seal). So an unarmed glancing blow probably does 1 damage always, with no bonus tacked on.

DEF: 131 (8.8% × 51 (3) (3) (3) (36) (3), win in 13)
    I think this means the script thinks you will do exactly (0.088*99+0.112*1=) 9.624 damage *every round* (because it uses average value as if it was guaranteed value).
    This is a problem because thinking "100% chance of 9.624" instead of "8.8% of 99 and 91.2% of 1" can kill you - if you are one hit away from getting killed and 9 would kill the monster, you have 91.2% chance of getting beaten up.

And *that*'s a problem because to deal with it you need either more branching (and probably noticeably slower processing), or some sort of approximation (like, say, using a different combination than an average [1]) which won't be as precise, or just forgetting about it and getting what you deserve (in this case - ingorance in, ignorance out: IIIO)

ETA: [1] any given combination will be, depending on the situation, either needlessly pessimistic, or dangerously optimistic; changing the coefficient will always increase one of these. Unless you know which one of them you are in, but that's probabilistic (except in round 1) and leads to solution "more branching".
    Last edited by xKiv; 10-04-2013 at 11:34 AM.

Developer

AFAIK, open hands do only 1-2 base damage even if they hit normally (it's one of the tricks in the melee strategy to ensure a pristine eye from mother seal)
    Originally Posted by xKiv View Post
    Pristine eye from mother seal -> slimy eyeball from mother slime? It's more important that they use 1/4 muscle for determining damage (but full muscle for determining hitch-ance), although ostensibly you could just use gremlin juice. Also, Master of the Surprising Fist and KFH can both change how much damage hands do.

Pristine eye from mother seal -> slimy eyeball from mother slime? It's more important that they use 1/4 muscle for determining damage (but full muscle for determining hitch-ance), although ostensibly you could just use gremlin juice. Also, Master of the Surprising Fist and KFH can both change how much damage hands do.
    Originally Posted by heeheehee View Post
    The important thing is reducing your variable part of damage (at least in the strategy where you do 50 of each element and <50 normal, then finish with small normal damage skills/items) ... we now have -200 ML of safety net, but still ...

I think this means the script thinks you will do exactly (0.088*99+0.112*1=) 9.624 damage *every round* (because it uses average value as if it was guaranteed value).
    Well, I see my mistake. I was using 51 instead of 99 for hit damage. You slipped decimal computing 11.2% above, it is 91.2% as you say below and 9.624 damage is the right.
    This is a problem because thinking "100% chance of 9.624" instead of "8.8% of 99 and 91.2% of 1" can kill you - if you are one hit away from getting killed and 9 would kill the monster, you have 91.2% chance of getting beaten up.
    9.624 damage doesn't quite explain "151 HP" and "win in 13", but I believe you've pointed out the real issue. Even my trick of increasing round costs won't help in this situation.

WHAM Beta should now handle some of the procedurally generated skeletons. The information should ideally be handled by BatBrain but while it is not this is the best way I can think of. Next up: Video Game Dungeon bosses, even though that might be difficult since I think that information is only available in the walkthrough...
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit

Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:
    Wife: Honey, please go to the market and buy 1 bottle of milk. If they have eggs, bring 6.

The 6 Stages of Debugging: 1 )That can't happen. 2) That shouldn't happen. 3) Hmmm, weird. 4) Why does that happen? 5) Oh, I see. 6 )How did that ever work?

All programs can be optimized, and all programs have bugs; therefore all programs can be optimized to one line that doesn’t work. /Bob Fitch, Blizzard

What do I need to do to stop WHAM from attacking with my fists and dealing 1 damage over and over?

Depends on where you are and why it's doing that. Posting a CLI-output of WHAM doing that at verbosity 9 or so might help, also posting your class, level and path will be helpful.
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit

Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke:

Just a heads up, the script is still breaking whenever the plastic pumpkin bucket is equipped. I don't know if that was presumed fixed, so just giving the feedback. Thanks.

Yes I know and it's a BatBrain error. If you have the confidence to edit ash-scripts yourself you can open up BatBrain and move the line with "parse_factors()" up until it is above the line with "fxngear()" which seems to solve the issue.
    My scripts:
    Best sushi for Profit

Autobasement
    Smashlib

A small programmer joke: