Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

The mouthless murmur is immune to physical damage. I'm killing the other two with no problem, but I'm level 256 and they are capped at 10k, so that doesn't mean too much.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
When I realized WHAM was not dealing with the new monsters, I just added them to my CCS and cast Weapon of the Pastalord. But I undid that after I saw the monsters added to mafia and only once did WHAM stop for the two characters using it. Level 30+ might be a factor.

Pazleysox

My limited experience says it could do better than it does. I think, though, the solution is to get Batfactors updated.

Zarqon is missing for a few days. On your honeymoon

I ran my turns in the realm today using WHAM 100%, and ran into a few issues that I'm sure will be easy enough to fix when he returns.

I'm trying to write a script for the area, and without use of a custom combat script, I don't see how it's going to be possible.

zarqon

I am indeed unable to work on scripts for the next month or so. However, batfactors is publicly editable, so unless the monsters in question have custom mechanics, it should be possible to let BatBrain know about everything amongst yourselves. :)

(There is documentation for batfactors. See the BatBrain first post linked in my sig.)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Since Batfactors now has the Dark Gyfte skills, it seems that WHAM might need to be tuned to handle Dark Feast. I have seen WHAM attempt to cast it when HP was at max and abort when there was not enough HP to cast anything else, even when Dark Feast was available.

Ethelred

I"ve been kind of neglecting KoL lately. I have a couple of chars in aftercore in the level 50 - 70 range. Most days, I just run a farming script for them that hasn't kept up with all the new items and adventuring areas. I'd like to update that to handle more items and areas and maybe even get back to ascending. As a first step, I've decided to adopt WHAM/Smart Statis/Batbrain/zlib to handle combat. The configuration seemed a bit daunting, so I decided to just let it rip and see what happened. I went with the defaults and things seemed to be going ok. Yesterday, for no apparent reason, one of the chars switched from attack with weapon to using love songs. What I'd like to know is why this changed when I didn't change anything? And how can I get it to go back to the previous behavior?

Thanks for any help with this. I'm also looking for a guide to configuring and using this set of tools. The information in the various forum threads is spread over a lot of posts and I'm having trouble navigating it all.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I"ve been kind of neglecting KoL lately. I have a couple of chars in aftercore in the level 50 - 70 range. Most days, I just run a farming script for them that hasn't kept up with all the new items and adventuring areas. I'd like to update that to handle more items and areas and maybe even get back to ascending. As a first step, I've decided to adopt WHAM/Smart Statis/Batbrain/zlib to handle combat. The configuration seemed a bit daunting, so I decided to just let it rip and see what happened. I went with the defaults and things seemed to be going ok. Yesterday, for no apparent reason, one of the chars switched from attack with weapon to using love songs. What I'd like to know is why this changed when I didn't change anything? And how can I get it to go back to the previous behavior?

Thanks for any help with this. I'm also looking for a guide to configuring and using this set of tools. The information in the various forum threads is spread over a lot of posts and I'm having trouble navigating it all.

In my experience, most of the time that WHAM etc. changes strategies it is either because the cost of something has changed in the mall or monster data somewhere (Kolmafia or Batbrain) has been updated. Once in a while, usually in run, an item will drop and WHAM will start preferring it. But this is all speculation and a better answer would require logs and/or verbose runs.

I deliberately suppress my desire to micromanage when I use scripts that I did not write. As a consequence I have made very few changes to the associated scripts's defaults. When I have it is because there is a specific problem and I can usually figure out a setting that might have an impact. That saved me the effort of figuring out what could be configured. Most of the tweaking that I recall involved stasis. Sometimes the in game gain of 25 rounds of stasis was not worth the real time minutes added to every session. Sometimes stasis would end and WHAM could not kill the monster or didn't figure out how to do so.

Since you have been away for awhile things have changed. Bale, Winterbay and Theraze have not been around in a while and so various scripts could be updated but have not been so publicly. Zarqon is active but has gotten married and seems to be spending less time on KoL than he once was.

Veracity wrote and is maintaining a meat farming script that is very robust. It does require configuration but it is well documented and the defaults are well thought out. The thing that confuses people is that the documentation is embedded in the script so they need to read it and set values via the command line.

cc_ascend and sl_ascend are probably the current best choices for automated ascension. Both work best with a lot of ITOMs and have various flaws when the ITOMs are lacking. I am reluctant to recommend either because cc is deliberately not supporting paths other than Standard and sl is supporting the script on Github and is explicitly less responsive to support issues posted here.

zarqon

I'm also looking for a guide to configuring and using this set of tools. The information in the various forum threads is spread over a lot of posts and I'm having trouble navigating it all.

It's not exactly a guide, but Prefref Plus (link in my sig) will show you all of your current ZLib settings, and quite a few of them even have documentation. You can edit all the WHAM/SS/BatBrain/ZLib settings there on a single interface. Hope that helps!

Also +1 for everything frono said above. I do have less time for KoL scripting these days, unfortunately, but I do still play most days, and I follow the posts happening on this forum.

Ethelred

It's not exactly a guide, but Prefref Plus (link in my sig) will show you all of your current ZLib settings, and quite a few of them even have documentation. You can edit all the WHAM/SS/BatBrain/ZLib settings there on a single interface. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the link, this looks like a very handy script. But it's kind of the opposite of what I'm looking for. It's very comprehensive while I'm looking for info restricted to the combat suite. While it may be possible to get there with Prefref Plus, it's not readily apparent how to do so. I don't use many relay scripts, so I even had trouble figuring out how to start and stop it. But thanks for this script and all the others you've contributed.

Ethelred

In my experience, most of the time that WHAM etc. changes strategies it is either because the cost of something has changed in the mall or monster data somewhere (Kolmafia or Batbrain) has been updated. Once in a while, usually in run, an item will drop and WHAM will start preferring it. But this is all speculation and a better answer would require logs and/or verbose runs.

I suspect this is what happened. But I'm too lazy to to pore through the logs to try to figure it out. As a workaround, perhaps temporary, I've turned off the use items preference in WHAM. I'll see how that works.

I deliberately suppress my desire to micromanage when I use scripts that I did not write. As a consequence I have made very few changes to the associated scripts's defaults. When I have it is because there is a specific problem and I can usually figure out a setting that might have an impact. That saved me the effort of figuring out what could be configured. Most of the tweaking that I recall involved stasis. Sometimes the in game gain of 25 rounds of stasis was not worth the real time minutes added to every session. Sometimes stasis would end and WHAM could not kill the monster or didn't figure out how to do so.

I have a tendency towards micromangement myself. I'll try to resist the urge. I'm also a bit paranoid about running scripts I don't understand fully, but this is a lot of code to grok.

Since you have been away for awhile things have changed. Bale, Winterbay and Theraze have not been around in a while and so various scripts could be updated but have not been so publicly. Zarqon is active but has gotten married and seems to be spending less time on KoL than he once was.

Sad to see such valuable contributors drift away from the game.

Veracity wrote and is maintaining a meat farming script that is very robust. It does require configuration but it is well documented and the defaults are well thought out. The thing that confuses people is that the documentation is embedded in the script so they need to read it and set values via the command line.

I have seen her script, but do not use it yet. Maybe in the future

cc_ascend and sl_ascend are probably the current best choices for automated ascension. Both work best with a lot of ITOMs and have various flaws when the ITOMs are lacking. I am reluctant to recommend either because cc is deliberately not supporting paths other than Standard and sl is supporting the script on Github and is explicitly less responsive to support issues posted here.
Thanks for the info. While I've never used an ascension script, that's probably the only way I'll get back to ascending on any kind of regular basis. I have been keeping my IOTM subscription running, so I think I'm in pretty good shape there.

Last edited:

zarqon

I'm looking for info restricted to the combat suite.

That would be every ZLib setting (you can click the checkbox to filter down to only ZLib settings) that starts with either "BatMan" or "WHAM" (you can type either of those in the search box to filter down to only those). No other settings are specific to those scripts. And I believe all the BatMan settings (which apply to BatBrain and SS), at least, have documentation when you mouse over them.

I believe WHAM may also have a relay script built in which you can use to edit its specific settings.

If it's not your cup of tea, absolutely no offense taken of course, but the other methods I can think of are more difficult (scouring each first post/thread for information and manually editing your settings file).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
WHAM: Failed to enqueue beehive. Aborting to let you figure this out.

Happening a lot recently in TCRS runs.

I have not found a pattern except that a) the beehive was previously used in combat and b) many times there is the KoLmafia thinks it is round X but Kol thinks it is round X-1 message immediately before the failure to enqueue.

Ideas? I'm thinking this might be due to the round counting which as I recall has been a tough nut to crack.

Crowther

Happening a lot recently in TCRS runs.

I have not found a pattern except that a) the beehive was previously used in combat and b) many times there is the KoLmafia thinks it is round X but Kol thinks it is round X-1 message immediately before the failure to enqueue.

Ideas? I'm thinking this might be due to the round counting which as I recall has been a tough nut to crack.

Where you using the new spoon? That might have prevented mafia/wham from noting that the beehive was used.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Where you using the new spoon? That might have prevented mafia/wham from noting that the beehive was used.

What is this spoon you speak of?

:)

Don't have one so No. Also my recollection is that it was happening before the spoon was released.

The first use of the beehive was being logged. Is there something in the WHAM ecosystem that might not know about limitations on use?

Winterbay

Hey people,
The bad happenings drew me back to the forums and I'm extremely happy to see that WHAM seems to live on even though I haven't logged in to the game in years.

I wonder how much of my code I would still recognise :)

Crowther

Hey people,
The bad happenings drew me back to the forums and I'm extremely happy to see that WHAM seems to live on even though I haven't logged in to the game in years.

I wonder how much of my code I would still recognise :)

I still use WHAM for hundreds of combat daily.