Winterbay's Helpful Automatic Monsterbasher (WHAM)

Winterbay

What is the power of your open hands? It was without weapons I mean.
Also, I'll probably soon commit a version of WHAM_beta which has support for Jick's psycosis because I got tired of it doing completely stupid choices. Now it does completely stupid choices a lot less... :)

xKiv

What is the power of your open hands? It was without weapons I mean.

AFAIK, open hands do only 1-2 base damage even if they hit normally (it's one of the tricks in the melee strategy to ensure a pristine eye from mother seal). So an unarmed glancing blow probably does 1 damage always, with no bonus tacked on.

DEF: 131 (8.8% × 51 (3) (3) (3) (36) (3), win in 13)

I think this means the script thinks you will do exactly (0.088*99+0.112*1=) 9.624 damage *every round* (because it uses average value as if it was guaranteed value).
This is a problem because thinking "100% chance of 9.624" instead of "8.8% of 99 and 91.2% of 1" can kill you - if you are one hit away from getting killed and 9 would kill the monster, you have 91.2% chance of getting beaten up.

And *that*'s a problem because to deal with it you need either more branching (and probably noticeably slower processing), or some sort of approximation (like, say, using a different combination than an average [1]) which won't be as precise, or just forgetting about it and getting what you deserve (in this case - ingorance in, ignorance out: IIIO)

ETA: [1] any given combination will be, depending on the situation, either needlessly pessimistic, or dangerously optimistic; changing the coefficient will always increase one of these. Unless you know which one of them you are in, but that's probabilistic (except in round 1) and leads to solution "more branching".

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
AFAIK, open hands do only 1-2 base damage even if they hit normally (it's one of the tricks in the melee strategy to ensure a pristine eye from mother seal)

Pristine eye from mother seal -> slimy eyeball from mother slime? It's more important that they use 1/4 muscle for determining damage (but full muscle for determining hitch-ance), although ostensibly you could just use gremlin juice. Also, Master of the Surprising Fist and KFH can both change how much damage hands do.

xKiv

Pristine eye from mother seal -> slimy eyeball from mother slime? It's more important that they use 1/4 muscle for determining damage (but full muscle for determining hitch-ance), although ostensibly you could just use gremlin juice. Also, Master of the Surprising Fist and KFH can both change how much damage hands do.

The important thing is reducing your variable part of damage (at least in the strategy where you do 50 of each element and <50 normal, then finish with small normal damage skills/items) ... we now have -200 ML of safety net, but still ...

Crowther

I think this means the script thinks you will do exactly (0.088*99+0.112*1=) 9.624 damage *every round* (because it uses average value as if it was guaranteed value).
Well, I see my mistake. I was using 51 instead of 99 for hit damage. You slipped decimal computing 11.2% above, it is 91.2% as you say below and 9.624 damage is the right.
This is a problem because thinking "100% chance of 9.624" instead of "8.8% of 99 and 91.2% of 1" can kill you - if you are one hit away from getting killed and 9 would kill the monster, you have 91.2% chance of getting beaten up.
9.624 damage doesn't quite explain "151 HP" and "win in 13", but I believe you've pointed out the real issue. Even my trick of increasing round costs won't help in this situation.

Winterbay

WHAM Beta should now handle some of the procedurally generated skeletons. The information should ideally be handled by BatBrain but while it is not this is the best way I can think of. Next up: Video Game Dungeon bosses, even though that might be difficult since I think that information is only available in the walkthrough...

Winterbay

Depends on where you are and why it's doing that. Posting a CLI-output of WHAM doing that at verbosity 9 or so might help, also posting your class, level and path will be helpful.

Uli

Just a heads up, the script is still breaking whenever the plastic pumpkin bucket is equipped. I don't know if that was presumed fixed, so just giving the feedback. Thanks.

Winterbay

Yes I know and it's a BatBrain error. If you have the confidence to edit ash-scripts yourself you can open up BatBrain and move the line with "parse_factors()" up until it is above the line with "fxngear()" which seems to solve the issue.

Bale

Minion
Yes I know and it's a BatBrain error. If you have the confidence to edit ash-scripts yourself you can open up BatBrain and move the line with "parse_factors()" up until it is above the line with "fxngear()" which seems to solve the issue.

OH! Thanks for the solution. I just dealt with it by removing "perfect" from a relevant entry in batfactors. It was aftercore so being specific about the element of the bucket damage hardly mattered anyways. This is better though.

Uli

Thank you, Winterbay.

Winterbay

New version of WHAM and WHAM beta has been committed. They are now the same again as I found no horrible errors with the Procedurally generated skeletons or the video game bosses so far. Also, I removed Noodles from the stun-option if you're one of the two revamped classes.
BatBrain and Batfactors needs to be updated to take the new revamped skills into consideration which it hasn't yet so that still remains an issue.

Caelic

Not sure if this is a bug: WHAM shows Chop as a good option for my Jarlsberg account, but Chop seems to have a 100 damage limit for me at the moment. Level 13, 164 blue myst, no buffs, jarlsberg's pan and hat equipped.

BCC: Monster HP is 256
BCC: These are the figures for Bake: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 0 damage from Bake
BCC: These are the figures for Boil: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 90 damage from Boil
BCC: These are the figures for Chop: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 2000 damage from Chop
BCC: These are the figures for Curdle: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 0 damage from Curdle
BCC: These are the figures for Fry: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 0 damage from Fry
BCC: These are the figures for Grill: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 0 damage from Grill
BCC: These are the figures for Slice: Bonus: 0.0 and 2.0%//0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/0.0/El: 0.0/Myst: 164.0
BCC: I expect 0 damage from Slice
BCC: We are going to one-shot with Chop
Round 2: The Bargainer casts CHOP!

Against Ed's first form, and the 100 damage cannot one shot him, but Grill would have.

Winterbay

That is actually not WHAM, it is the built in combat script in BCA. In order to use wham withmyst-classes in BCA you need to change a setting with the included relay-script.

Winterbay

WHAM (and beta) should no longer try to noodle with anything but myst classes while we await BatBrain to update to fix this. Also it will try to steal an accordion if you can.

Winterbay

Yeah, I ascended into an AT and didn't want to have to remember which monsters had accordions and which hadn't so... :)
(not sure if it works though, it is slightly untested)

jbouzanquet

Code:
[410] The Goatlet
Encounter: Possessed Jar of Alphredo™
Strategy: /home/julian/.kolmafia/ccs/default.ccs [default]
Round 0: frodobatman wins initiative!
Round 1: Late Bird rubs its soles together, then stomps in place restlessly. Clearly, the violence it's done so far is only making it ache for some quality stomping.
WHAM: Running SmartStasis
1/3 monsters drop goals here.
WHAM: Starting evaluation and performing of attack
WHAM: We are going to 1-shot with attack with your weapon.
Round 1: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 1: frodobatman attacks!
Round 2: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 2: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 2: frodobatman attacks!
Round 3: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 3: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 3: frodobatman attacks!
Round 4: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 4: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 4: frodobatman attacks!
Round 5: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 5: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 5: frodobatman attacks!
Round 6: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 6: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 6: frodobatman attacks!
Round 7: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 7: Late Bird boots it, then re-boots it again, for a total of 1 damage.
Round 7: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 7: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 7: frodobatman attacks!
Round 8: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 8: Late Bird gives it the boot for 1 damage.
Round 8: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 8: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 8: frodobatman attacks!
Round 9: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 9: Late Bird attempts to kickstart it. It doesn't get fully funded, but does do 1 damage.
Round 9: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
You lose 13 hit points
Round 9: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 9: frodobatman attacks!
Round 10: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 10: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 10: frodobatman attacks!
Round 11: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 11: Late Bird does a little dance on top of it, to the tune of 1 damage.
Round 11: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 11: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 11: frodobatman attacks!
Round 12: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 12: Late Bird gives it some pumped-up kicks for 1 damage. Looks like it didn't run fast enough.
Round 12: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 12: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 12: frodobatman attacks!
Round 13: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 13: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 13: frodobatman attacks!
Round 14: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
You lose 16 hit points
Round 14: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 14: frodobatman attacks!
Round 15: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 15: Late Bird kicks it into next week, for a time-traveling 1 damage.
Round 15: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
You lose 14 hit points
Round 15: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 15: frodobatman attacks!
Round 16: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Round 16: Late Bird makes sure kicks aren't getting harder to find by kicking it for 1 damage.
Round 16: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
You lose 16 hit points
Round 16: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 16: frodobatman attacks!
Round 17: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 17: Late Bird attempts to kickstart it. It doesn't get fully funded, but does do 1 damage.
Round 17: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 1 damage.
Round 17: frodobatman executes a macro!
Round 17: frodobatman attacks!
Round 18: possessed jar of alphredo™ takes 20 damage.
Server returned response code 502 for newchatmessages.php
Round 18: frodobatman executes a macro!
Server returned response code 502 for fight.php
Round 18: frodobatman executes a macro!
KoLmafia thinks it is round 19 but KoL thinks it is round 18
WHAM: Critical error: An empty macro was generated. Please report this in the WHAM thread of kolmafia.us.
You're on your own, partner.
Click here to continue in the relay browser.
What other info is needed?