HALP! Mafia isn't working on my computer anymore.

Aeroplane

This started recently. When I start up mafia, I get the login window, and all the normal logging in messages go through, it disappears, and the adventure window never shows up. When I CTRL+ALT+DEL to task manager, the process is running, but I can't switch to it, and nothing ever shows in the task bar. Running Windows, and I have Java 6 update 5 and Java 7 update 2 installed on my computer, trying to run mafia 14.8.

Any help would be appreciated!

Theraze

Try to use the daily build if you aren't? If you're doing the release mafia 14.8, it doesn't actually work because KoL changed their login servers.

Winterbay

Also, isn't 14.8 uncompatible with java 7? You need a later build for that to work (and I think java uses the latest version installed rather than the one that'll work if you have two installed).

slyz

Developer
The weekly build is not being updated, there's a problem on the server apparently. Just grab the latest .JAR file (link in my sig).

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Java 7 update 2 installed on my computer

Contrary to other posts, my recollection is that KoLmafia remains incompatible with Java 7. While some steps have been taken and some things have been fixed, I do not believe that everything associated with Java 7 has been addressed. Thus my suggestion would be to uninstall Java 7 and revert back to Java 6.

I will also note that officially, KoLmafia only runs under Java 1.4. While the dev team and community have discussed changing that, it has not happened yet.

Theraze

I've been using Java 7 with mafia for about the last 4 weeks (I think I upgraded around Christmas, if recollection serves) now, so I'd respectfully disagree about its incompatability. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Respect noted.

I'm going by the fact that somewhere, that I cannot find, Hola said he was not done with Java 7 fixes and at least one person volunteered to run with Java 7 to help Hola debug things. If you are correct then this thread needs to be updated, closed and/or unstickyed. I also note that this is somewhat moot since officially KoLmafia is J2SE 1.4 compliant. ;-)

Aeroplane

Downloaded the latest .JAR (totally unfamiliar with that extension, apparently it works just like a .EXE), and it works! Thanks so much! I played 30-some turns on the website itself and it was UNBEARABLE.

Grotfang

Developer
apparently it works just like a .EXE

If you are interested, the .exe and the .jar are pretty much the same thing. A .exe is a windows executable, but in the case of KoLmafia, all it does is contain the .jar file, along with a few other nifty commands to make it run properly. However, for most users, the default settings on a .jar file will make that run properly too, so most users will not notice any difference between the .jar and the .exe. Certainly once you have run the .exe once, you will probably then be able to run the .jar.

Long story short, welcome to the world of the daily builds! You never need to have an out of date mafia again :)