TheSea.ash - Automated Underwater Quests

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
What would be the most stress free way to do that?

Since the author last visited this site in 2020, it depends upon what stresses you.

If you are comfortable with a text editor you could find svn\therazekolmafia-thesea\scripts\TheSea.ash, edit to change "torso awaregness" to "torso awareness" save the file and then Update scripts as you usually would with mafia.

Or you could find TheSea.ash in your scripts directory and make the same edit. This is easier but you will have to do it again if TheSea is ever updated without this fix.

Or you could beg someone to do the edit for you, ask them to post it here and then download the file and replace scripts\TheSea.ash with the downloaded file.

HojoHominygrits

First of all, I know this is a long-abandoned script, so I'm tempering my expectations for assistance in this matter accordingly. Be that as it may,
I did this:
edit to change "torso awaregness" to "torso awareness"
...and find that this script still functions with that modification, but I have an additional question about it for, well, anyone that has used it and knows how the script works.

I'm currently going back to pick up my Hatred outfit (I already have the Violence and Loathing outfit) and I'm trying to figure out how to make this script take the Scholar path so that I fight Yog-Urt. There is a variable setting mentioned in the first post that looks like it would do that:
outfitQuest is a 0-3 option for what you'd like to do with the Outfit quest. It defaults to skipping, and only works if you rescue at least Grandma.

Of course, in typical scriptwriter documentation fashion, this neglects to tell you what outfits 0-3 represent. Luckily, the comments in the script reveal this:
// How do you want to complete the Outfit quest?
// 0 - Skip. 1 - Violence. 2 - Hatred. 3 - Loathing.
However, based on my recent experience, it doesn't seem to matter what I set that variable to, it goes straight to the Gladiator path. So I'm having to watch it to make sure it doesn't get that far, interrupt it, and do the terribly fiddly Scholar part by hand.

If that's what I need to do, so be it, but if anyone is familiar with this issue, or can look at the code and figure out what I'm doing wrong it'd be awesome.

Last edited:

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
Well, I don't know the script, but I would like to get the pieces, so I'm happy to look at it with you. Need to finish my current run and get into aftercore.

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
No Aftercore today.
reminder:
Bash:
// How do you want to complete the Outfit quest?
// 0 - Skip. 1 - Violence. 2 - Hatred. 3 - Loathing.

Let's look.
Line 635: if (TS_OUTFIT_QUEST > 2). This is after the seahorse.
You're going for Hatred, 2, so it's not greater than 2.

Line 696-8:
switch(TS_OUTFIT_QUEST) Should be 1, 2, or 3 (we didn't get here if it's 0)
{ case 1: Violence, moving on...
Line 1148: case 2:. Hatred, should be our cuppa.
Line 1248: case 3: break; Well there's nothing for Loathing here, but it's the only thing that's greater than 2 above...

So, what I'd do is what is loftily called "instrumenting your code" and in practical terms is called "adding a bunch of print statements to see where you got to and why."

Add lines like:
print("I have started the Outfit quest and TS_OUTFIT_QUEST == "+ TS_OUTFIT_QUEST);

put them just before line 635 and maybe also after case 1 and case 2.

I'm hoping to finish my current run tonight, so maybe I can try it as well. Let me know what you learn!

Last edited:

HojoHominygrits

RE: instrumenting your code

I'll have to give this a shot on my next ascension. I finished up getting my Hatred piece by hand after making that post above. I still have 3 pieces to get, though. I probably won't jump into the run until this weekend due to stuff.

Thanks for replying!

MCroft

Developer
Staff member
No worries. I'm using this as an opportunity to fill out my own and to work on scripting

It looks like it stopped for me three times:
Once when it wasn't sure I had Mom Seamonkey.
Once to manually get the the seahorse. I think it was my fault for dying a lot. Script could be more aware of dying.
Once when it wanted me to manually learn the weapon skills. It should be able to automate that, I'd expect.

Hi! I came looking for a Sea quest script because, well, I hate doing it but want all the fancy clothes. Is there any new work or words on this?
Thank you.

HojoHominygrits

I ended up getting my last couple of pieces by stopping the script and doing the Scholar path manually.

Other than that it worked swimmingly.