TheSea.ash - Automated Underwater Quests

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
At least you don't need to survive the damage, you just need 500 HP to cast it.

What I ended up doing was setting up +9 spooky res on equipment, using a potion to raise my HP over 500, and then cycling through cannoli cocoon, Deep Dark Visions and restore MP until I saw the text that said I had the clue. If need to detect that the clue was received before I actually script it. mafia is already tracking them, I just have not yet looked to figure out where, yet.

Theraze

You COULD just use the clue3 alias I posted in 182... Or you could make your own script, either way.
And what I do to survive it is:
maximize hp
maximize hp, 600 min, 1000 max, 1000 spooky res
Because of the maximizer changes of a year or whatever ago, it will no longer meet requirements if it thinks something else is better. There's a bug report in the long past about it (from me) right after the change. Anyways, it means sometimes you need to run two or more maximization strings (with their associated server hits for re-equipping) to actually get maximizations to work. But hey, at least we can do it. :) So we tell mafia that all we care about is health, and then we tell it that we really only care about having 1000 health, but 600 is our bare minimum... and anything else should DEFINITELY go to spooky res. I usually get in the 18-24 spooky res range with that.

I've added training the weapon skills. What I'm still trying to decide there is whether to include auto-using Sauceror potions (sarcasm serum, connery's audacity, ferrigno's power, phorce philter) to get your hitstat to where you can actually crit. If so, the next question is if we want to try to detect which one will do it easier... if sarcasm is enough, don't use connery first for the major overload. Or if I'm just overdoing it and I should skip that, and just use the higher level boost first and the minor boost if it's still needed after.

I'll probably eventually throw the auto-buffing for violence behind a variable, since there are people who might want to pick their own. Unless everyone loves the idea of not needing to think about it and we just go merrily along our way.

Anyways, the current version of TS should get you to Coliseum time. Which won't be added to the "Go! Go! Go!" bits until the combat scripts get their final autoresponse code down, but at least that grind is in now.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
I am so glad that I got all 12 pieces for my Hatred Outfit back when Spookyform was easy and cheap.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Spookyform is irrelevant for getting that clue. You can get it when getting Beaten Up from casting Deep Dark Visions. At most, the cost is an extra 27/30 MP to use Tongue to remove Beaten Up before casting Cocoon (skills that I expect would be acquired by the time someone is going for full sea outfits).

Bale

Minion
I wouldn't go as far as to call it "irrelevant" just because it isn't necessary. It was very convenient to be able to cast spookyform 10 times in a row without having to heal HP. Convenient is also nice.

Like this script is convenient...not sure if I want to train skills or not but I'm letting it (after adding some potions to my mood).

The last time I went into the arena, I just buffed up spell damage and blasted everything to smithereens (read, my normal Crimbo attitude). :D

Tarko

Quick question:

Why does the script not unlock the Mer-Kin city if you choose to 'skip' the path?

As in: if you leave choosePath at 0, the script aborts after saving Mom. Why not after doing the tedious lasso thing?
(could add option to buy lasso/bells from mall or something)

Just interested in the reason.

Theraze

Because if you're skipping it, you don't want to waste turns finding the lockbox and seahorse. That would be a waste.

We respect what you've said. If you don't want to do the outfit quest, we don't.

Tarko

Makes sense.

I guess I'm like Chef__Rannos above and just use my spells to blast my way through the Arena and therefore don't want the script to spend all that time learning the new tricks.

I'll have to try to find a way to get the script to abort after getting the Seahorse but before learning the skills.

As always: I appreciate your work and use your script almost every ascension; thank you!

Winterbay

If you use WHAM that will now abort automation when you tame your seahorse which may be useful (given that thesea lets you use your own CCS to tame the seahorse, been a while since I looked at it)

Theraze

Nope, the horse taming is automatic with manual script-run-combat.

But if you've disabled the quest and are running with WHAM, that makes it easy to not use the script to get to where they wanted to abort. So... works for me.
And the fact that it's aborting automation if I DID give it over to WHAM means I'm definitely not going to do that to the script, reducing how well it works for automation. So that works as well, since it means I don't need to change anything.

Winterbay

It only aborts if you are fighting a sea horse and batbrain throws a sea lasso against it, otherwise it'll just run along just fine.

Theraze

Exactly. Meaning that TheSea will never abort, because it uses its own combat handling for the whole Corral.

For people who don't want to automate learning Gladiator skills, they can use WHAM or something else to make the taming easier. Allowing people to combine WHAM and TheSea would make things worse, since WHAM aborts automation on taming a seahorse, and I don't want to abort automation unless I'm actually done with everything or have hit something where continuing automation makes things worse... like during the outfit boss fights.

Winterbay

I would have no problem for WHAM looking at the zlib-settings that TheSea uses and not abort if certain conditions are met, if nothing else so that I can use the two in conjunction :)

Theraze

Oh, I use WHAM for everything else underwater-related. :) I just put together that custom combat bit back before WHAM/BatBrain had real underwater support and it seems cruel to punish people that don't use WHAM by breaking their auto-tame.

I was hoping to point out (Not sure if I ever actually did, but... I wanted to, regardless of the state of reality.) that for people that want to not actually have the script do its gladiatorial handling, the updated WHAM support means that they can stop after rescuing Grandma (or Mom) and WHAM will tame their seahorse without them needing to overthink their combat. It's a beautiful thing. :)

Yeah, with the exception of taming the seahorse and finishing the hatred boss fight, I let people control their own CCS. The boss fight kicks you in after delevelling and healing is done, so for most people it should be a few simple elemental casts and the boss is dead. But if they've been doing something like Attack with weapon because they're running massively over-levelled and they're purely physical... it would be a shame to lose the fight.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
An inappropriately vague report which may or may not be sufficient enough to trigger changes.

The script was stopping because buffed_hit_stat() < 650. However the message always told me to buff moxie and come back. A more useful and less misleading message might be to say something vague like "Your hit stat is not 650. Please level or buff" and leave it to the user to determine which stat is the hit stat and then raise it.

The script seemed to think it had to find a mer-kin dodge-ball when I actually had one but it was equipped. I'm not sure whether this is a coding issue - the script is checking inventory but not equipped or whether this is one of those cases where then previous advice was to refresh inventory and the current advice is to run it to ground so the root problem can be addressed.

Something kept complaining that my familiar could not breath underwater even with little bitty bathysphere or das boot equipped. This could also be a synch problem because TheSea or something else was doing some familiar switching that I wasn't paying attention to.

Theraze

1) Message fixed.
2) Your inventory got out of sync. We use available_amount, which checks inventory and equipped both. The only way it would end up with 0 is if mafia lost it.
3) That might be mafia, if it's changing your familiar, but the script isn't set to do that anywhere. More likely though that it was the maximization changing your familiar's equipment, even though it wasn't changing your familiar itself. Changed the maximization string to include -familiar so that shouldn't happen anymore.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
1) and 3) Thanks.

In keeping with previous requests, I'll try and watch out for 2) and gather more information.