Character Info Toolbox

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I like the extra viability!
But maybe its a bit too much. I would keep the +XX as non-colored for better consistency.

Like this: Hot Dmg +10
Instead of this: Hot Dmg +10

I will push this style to WTF soon.

Bale

Minion
Well it is pretty simple to change the matcher to work like that. An earlier version of the code actually worked that way before I decided on the look I wanted.

Code:
	matcher elemental = create_matcher("(Hot|Cold|Spooky|Stench|Sleaze|Prismatic) (Res|Dmg)", evm);

RogerMexico

Good Morning, CHIT didn't load in the relay browser and when I checked mafia's CLI it said:
Bad item value: "miniature life preserver" (charpane.ash, line 1434)

Line 1434 is: generic[205]=$item[miniature life preserver];

I removed the line and one svn sync later, CHIT loaded and looks fine. (I have not ascended Heavy Rains).

This is an frequent annoyance for me. CHIT (which is so awesome that I wonder how I ever got along without it) has a handy update nudge that it dispays. This is great because I am lazy and I can just click that link and bam, instant update. This is bad because I don't update mafia unless there is a new feature I need or want. So every single time I update CHIT, it stops working.

The first time it happens it is very confusing, though by now I should learn that this is the way it works and deal with it. otoh, I imagine this must happen to a lot of people. What is the coding or logic reason why an unknown item (especially in the case of an item I don't have and won't have in inventory, as the current case with the Personal Ventilation Unit) should cause CHIT to be unable to load?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
What is the coding or logic reason why an unknown item (especially in the case of an item I don't have and won't have in inventory, as the current case with the Personal Ventilation Unit) should cause CHIT to be unable to load?

If a script asks mafia how many of $item[lksdkljsdlk] are in your inventory (as an example, because the actual item name is arbitrary and all that matters is that mafia doesn't know what it is), what else should mafia do? It seems that if a script cares about a new item, then updating to a version of mafia that knows about the item is the feature you care about.

Fluxxdog

This is also why people will ask what version you're using. If you're using and old version of mafia (which gets updated almost daily), they'll tell you to update mafia. There's also a new feature out that scripts can use: since. A script can state specifically which the earliest version of mafia that can use it. So if you update scripts from SVN but don't update mafia, you'll start running into scripts that will refuse to work for you.

RogerMexico

It seems that if a script cares about a new item, then updating to a version of mafia that knows about the item is the feature you care about.
This assumes that I care about everything the script cares about. For most software end users, this will almost never be true. It is true that updating is the simplest solution, but this is not obvious from an end user perspective (especially the first time you encounter it).

As for what can be done about it, I thought that was my question? Again, from an end user point of view, why should Chit care about things I don't have? if I have 0 of the item, then the script and or mafia don't need to bother with it at all. Could there be a way to safely ignore that item's existence? I'm not a coder, so I realize that actually implementing things that way may be too complex, or may raise other problems.

There's also a new feature out that scripts can use: since. A script can state specifically which the earliest version of mafia that can use it.
I'm not sure what this means, but that would be a neat solution too. If the mafia or chit error message said "this version requires release xyz". Or even better, gave that information in advance of updating (which I realize may not really be practical to implement).

Anyway, like I said, this is mostly just an inconvenience. I just hate updating mafia mid run, as just this morning the update caused it to lose my SR and HR wandering monster trackers.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I just hate updating mafia mid run
Then I would suggest not updating scripts mid-run.
as just this morning the update caused it to lose my SR and HR wandering monster trackers.
That sounds like a pretty serious bug, except that isn't nearly enough information to fix anything. At a guess I'm thinking that Save options to disk whenever they change isn't checked for you, and somehow you closed mafia without it having a chance to save settings.

roippi

Developer
I'm not sure what this means, but that would be a neat solution too. If the mafia or chit error message said "this version requires release xyz". Or even better, gave that information in advance of updating (which I realize may not really be practical to implement).

This is already implemented. Scripters just need to actually use the feature.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
This assumes that I care about everything the script cares about. For most software end users, this will almost never be true. It is true that updating is the simplest solution, but this is not obvious from an end user perspective (especially the first time you encounter it).

At some point you need to deal with the fact that KoLmafia and the various scripts are created by volunteers. So if the script cares about something that you don't care about then it is safe to assume that the author does care and the only reasonable solution is for you to not use the script, learn to care, or make your own version of the script. In general it is a design goal to support as many as KoL's features as quickly as possible and then as well as possible. This is pretty much going to trump any user suggestion not to support something since it will be seen as inconveniencing many for the benefit of a few.

In your case, if you don't like updating in run and have a rational justification for that then Just Don't Do It. That said, if KoL changes something that breaks KoLmafia, which has happened in the past, then you will have to finish the run manually or upgrade anyway. If you can provide specific repeatable examples of things that break when you upgrade I am sure people will treat those reports seriously and make changes so that things don't break.

RogerMexico

That sounds like a pretty serious bug, except that isn't nearly enough information to fix anything. At a guess I'm thinking that Save options to disk whenever they change isn't checked for you, and somehow you closed mafia without it having a chance to save settings.
This is correct, that option was was not checked. In all likelihood, it has never been checked in the 5 or more years I have been using mafia.

Anyway, it turned out that I had a still open mafia session running from the previous night which I forgot to close after rollover logged me out. Somehow the mafia window was on different virtual desktop than the one I usually run it on, and when I launched another session without realizing this, there was probably a file locked or something. Kindof a dumb noob mistake on my part.

At some point you need to deal with the fact...
I know and appreciate all of that. I guess there is a fine line between making an observation and complaining. Sorry if my comments came across as the latter.

So hey you know how there's a little (+) button in the mood menu to add individual moods to your current mood-combo?

Can we also get a little (-) to remove individual moods?

(I'm guessing there's a reason it's not already a thing, since it's not exactly a wild out-of-the-box idea, but... i forogot the point i was making?)

Bale

Minion
So hey you know how there's a little (+) button in the mood menu to add individual moods to your current mood-combo?

Can we also get a little (-) to remove individual moods?

That'd be a PITA so I don't want to do it.

Another FReq for ChIT: counters for temporarily banished monsters?

I could get the list of currently banished monsters from banishedMonsters, but I don't think that mafia tells me how long they will stay banished. Am I mistaken?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I could get the list of currently banished monsters from banishedMonsters, but I don't think that mafia tells me how long they will stay banished. Am I mistaken?

That setting also stores when the monster was banished, so the end of the window could be determined from there. It would mean replicating the banish information that mafia has internally already, though.

Bale

Minion
Would it be hard for mafia to expose duration of banishes?

Another FReq for ChIT: counters for temporarily banished monsters?

If banish duration is exposed to the user... What would you like this to look like in the charpane? Just a window ending for the end of a monster banish?

Fluxxdog

If banish duration is exposed to the user... What would you like this to look like in the charpane? Just a window ending for the end of a monster banish?
All I'd request would be like a counter, with the name of what was banished and how, like "fluffy bunny banished by stinky cheese eye", maybe with an icon of the source of the banish. Nothing fancy, just informative.

Bale

Minion
So, how about an item icon and a message "End of fluffy bunny banish" with the duration number being the turns left until the banish ends?

Bale

Minion
Since a negative value for duration of banish makes no sense there could be several special values with specific meanings. -1 is until rollover, -10 is until prism break and -100 is forever. Just a suggestion if you want to implement it.