Feature - Implemented Steel Organ Mourn automation

TheRepah

During the Steel Organ quest, my life would be made easier if I didn't have to, upon finding the items to make Mourn laugh, navigate to my inventory, go back, make him laugh, go back to inventory and wear what I just was.
It would be very nice if, upon having possession of the hilarious comedy prop, Victor, the Insult Comic Hellhound Puppet, and/or Observational glasses, I could just click the button to make him laugh and Mafia would auto-equip, make him laugh, then re-equip, along the lines of the reassembled blackbird.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 9472 adds half of this: when you find one of the comedy items, it adds a use link to go do the appropriate kind of comedy on Mourn. So, for the insult puppet - and off-hand item - you will get two use links: "equip" and "insult mourn".

Click the first one, it puts on the puppet - which will only work if you don't have a 2-handed weapon.
Then click the second, it insults Mourn.
You have to re-equip your offhand item in the Gear Changer.

I'm leaving this open since your suggestion is better, but much more complicated internally: we have to save an outfit checkpoint, manually unequip a 2-handed weapon before equipping an offhand, choose the least important accessory to replace, and so on. Unlike the wormride link, we can't just do a bunch of stuff and finish by visiting the original URL in the link.

So, this will take more figuring out - and I don't have time right now, especially since I am past this quest in my current ascension now.

Cait

If I click on the "equip" link, it sends me to my inventory in the relay browser afterward; the "insult mourn" option thus appears to be useless unless I equip it from the Gear Changer.

Nifft

Sounds like you need to turn on "force results to reload inline for [use] links". Hopefully the "equip" link counts as a "use" link here.

Lorne item use decorations.

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but when I get an item (say the comic hound dog) I get two options: [equip] and [insult].
Choosing the fast option [insult mourn] doesn't work because, from what I can tell, it attempts the insult without first equipping the item.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That is a correct description of how it currently works. You have to equip the item yourself first, either using the [equip] link (if you have in-line use links) or via the Gear Changer.

I'm going to merge this into the Feature Request - still open - for which these use links were a partial solution.

Oh, a current thread.
Well, I guess I'm just not quite sure I understand why I'd have to use [equip] (which navigates me away, and I like that behavior) and then [insult] when things like [wormride] do the equipping, the riding, -and- the un/re-equipping, and don't even have an [equip] option.

jasonharper

Developer
Because it TAKES EFFORT to make things work nicely like that, effort that nobody has expended yet. What is so difficult to understand about that?

I merely was pointing out that the functions appear as if they'd behave the same, but act differently; I was not trying to complain about a lack of mafia playing my game for me. Sorry to be ambiguous.

Magus_Prime

Observe Mourn link doesn't equip the Observational Glasses

When adventuring in Hey Deze and getting the Observational Glasses in Beliafs a link appears to "observe Mourn". Clicking on the link doesn't equip the glasses and you get the failure message from Mourn rather than the lollipop.

Edit: Never mind. I just saw the updates to the "Steel Organ Mourn" thread and that explained what is happening.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
r9646

EDIT: I forgot about the check for a 2-handed weapon when trying to equip the insult puppet.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
I feel comfortable adding small things like this, especially when there are other examples to copy from. On the other hand, I'm still having a hard time fixing the conditionally available combat skills :(

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, I have tried this.

When I beat Carbuncle Top, I got the link: "visit mourn".
I clicked on it.
KoLmafia equipped the comedy prop, tried prop humor on him, and requipped my previous weapon.
It then "visited" mourn and I saw the page where you can try various kinds of humor on MOurn - missing the one which we'd just successfully completed, obviously.

In the ideal world, I'd see the result of trying prop humor on Mourn - the stat gains. That's hard, since we'd want to requip first and show the result of that visit. That's why I didn't do what you did with my initial half-support for this request. :)

Hmm. I have an idea. I have two more chances to experiment...