Feature Check for Buff Limits when requesting Buffs from Bots

Darzil

Developer
I'd like to request that before the request for more buffs are sent to a buff bot, that it is checked whether those buffs will work or not.

The reasons are twofold :
1. People like me sit there like fools wondering why the buffs don't happen.
2. Unnecessary server hits requesting, kmailing, bot trying to buff.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Which limits are you talking about? The limit imposed by the game where you can have only 3 (or sometimes 4 if my memory is correct) buffs of a particular type or the limit imposed by the some buffbots about how many buffs can be requested/received or something else?

Darzil

Developer
The game one was the one I was thinking of. (The other would get complex, with different buffbots having different rules, and doesn't seem like something Mafia should implement)

At present you can request buffs that can't take effect if you are already at your limit of number of AT buffs, but you never recieve them. This is working as intended, of course.

However, I suggest that Mafia could perhaps tell the user that their request cannot be fulfilled, and save the server hits of putting in the request, and those of the buffbot trying to buff.

Nifft

Does mafia KNOW how many songs / which songs you are requesting with a given meat amount when you do a buff pack request to be able to tell that you'd go over the limit? I typically just 'csend NNNN to buffbotname' and have no expectations of Mafia to know if I've goofed. Wouldn't complain if it did catch me, though :)

roippi

Developer
Does mafia KNOW how many songs / which songs you are requesting with a given meat amount when you do a buff pack request to be able to tell that you'd go over the limit? I typically just 'csend NNNN to buffbotname' and have no expectations of Mafia to know if I've goofed. Wouldn't complain if it did catch me, though :)

There's a graphical buffbot interface, y'know.

I think this request is reasonable in the spirit of saving server hits.

Nifft

Not when I'm playing using mafia on a remote unix box there isn't :) I was supporting the request as well, simply was asking if Mafia actually looks at what you're requesting if you do multi-packs.

Last edited:

Theraze

The biggest problem is that mafia doesn't know if you're requesting an accordion song or some other buff that can be stacked higher.

Darzil

Developer
The biggest problem is that mafia doesn't know if you're requesting an accordion song or some other buff that can be stacked higher.

Mafia lists the accordion songs under "Accordion Thief Buffs" in the buff request window. Mafia puts a quaver next to each accordion buff in the current effects listing. Doesn't this indicate that it does know?

Theraze

(This is a question - I'm not sure of the answer)
When it comes down to actually sending out the request, does mafia track what request is being sent, or just that you're sending X meat to Y person/buffbot?

(This is a statement - My inferance based on the limited information I have)
Because if you're requesting a song you already have, that wouldn't go against your limit... so you can't just have the buffbot list be text, it has to actually track the buffs themselves.

I believe this is what Nifft was saying a few posts up. If mafia doesn't track the specific buffs you're requesting, blocking based on how many total AT songs you have going is irrelevant unless it knows that it's a new song that would actually be blocked...