Bug - Fixed When using chat_clan(), it doesn't show the message in the relay browser chat.

icon315

as the title says, although i looked at the logged chat and the mafia chat and the message what there.

Bale

Minion
If you're using KoL mafia's chat frame to chat, it doesn't show that in the relay browser chat either.

Does it show chat_clan() in the chat frame?

mredge73

It does show up on mafia's chat window. It does not show up on relay.
The message does actually get sent (clannies will see it).

Bale

Minion
Then this is actually an example of the old bug that messages typed in mafia chat won't appear in relay browser pane.

StDoodle

Minion
That was "fixed" at some point? I'd rather assumed it was a browser limitation / issue... (To clarify; not mocking, just seriously didn't think this was "fixable.")

xKiv

I just assumed that it's a "feature" of KoL's chat, which displays your own messages when you send them and therefore can't display them again in the place where they "belong" according to the order in which they arrived at the server.
Try opening chat in two separate tabs and saying something in one. Does it appear in the other?

Bale

Minion
I think that counts as a reason for a bug being difficult to fix, not an excuse to call it a feature.

xKiv

Is it really a bug if it's basically request for new functionality (over that present in vanilla KoL)?
Should mafia just insert things into KRC?
(KoL Relay Chat .... as opposed to Internet Relay Chat)

Bale

Minion
If the program is capable of showing two versions of the chat at the same time and the one of those versions does not show as many messages as the other... yeah, that's a bug. Features should work and play well together or else their lack of cooperation is a bug.

Mind you, this bug doesn't terribly bother me. It's reasonably minor since I usually use the chat pane if I open it, but it is a bug.

If the program is capable of showing two versions of the chat at the same time and the one of those versions...

The program isn't responsible for the second version's behavior, is the thing. That's a limitation in the way KoL was made, not a foresight in mafia's coding.

Either way, bug or feature, the fix for this is probably far more effort than it's worth, unless something else calls for a complete change to the way mafia intercepts and handles chat for the relay browser.

Bale

Minion
Yes, it is responsible for the behavior of the relay chat. Whenever you add a feature if it causes trouble for a a pre-existing feature, that is called a bug. What do you call that? An incompletely implemented feature?

Either way, bug or feature, the fix for this is probably far more effort than it's worth.

That is something we agree about.

Which are we calling the feature here? KoLmafia Chat, or Relay Browser chat? I'll assume RB Chat. I'll also assume that the purpose of the relay browser is to mimic the native KoL functionality. Which it does.
Try opening chat in two separate tabs and saying something in one. Does it appear in the other?
Chat is designed to display text received from the server, and text submitted from itself. Not text submitted from some other source.

Though I do have a feature request that probably -would- require the change I referenced earlier, which I'll get around to posting sometime tonight.